PDA

View Full Version : Want to help out a Family

MMEand1
12-06-2009, 10:45 PM
Do you remember the little girl who I posted about who's mom wanted to have her name as the most googled/yahoo-ed name on the day that she earned her wings? Well, I have a friend that has a little boy who has the same condition (DIPG). He just had a new MRI scan and things don't look too good. His mother contacted the Make-a-Wish Foundation some time ago, but since he was doing so well at the time, he was not considered a priority. Well, things have changed and now it looks as though he may not be well enough to get his wish (swimming with the dolphins in Hawaii). DIPG patients go downhill rather quickly and that is what is happening.

I want to be able to do something for this family since he may not get his wish. I sent an e-mail to the San Antonio Spurs to see about possibly getting him into a practice with the team while he can still walk/talk or to see a game from the sidelines, but I don't have any contacts and know that they probably get lots of requests and cannot honor them all (or have some sort of protocol as to who can/cannot attend certain events).

Does anyone here have any ideas as to what else I could do? They live about 1.5 hours from here, so it's not like I can bring them meals or watch their other children for them. The little boy is 7 and he has 2 younger brothers. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I really want to do whatever I can and hope that someone here may know someone else that might be able to get me a foot in a door somewhere...please help...

shawnandangel
12-06-2009, 11:12 PM
Do you have a SeaWorld close by that you could set up something with? Maybe let him go and get a personal tour of the dolphin tank and pet the dolphins?

Edit: What about this?

http://www.seaworld.com/sitepage.aspx?PageID=682

Here is their contact info:
http://www.seaworld.com/sitepage.aspx?PageID=64

almostamom
12-07-2009, 01:22 AM
My sister worked for Make-A-Wish until a few months ago. I emailed her to ask if she still had any contacts. I will let you know if she does.

Also, try calling the Spurs and asking for Community Relations. The main phone number is (210) 444-5000. I know that's who we deal with when the AZ Diamondbacks have the children with nut allergies attend a game once or twice a year.

You might even try one of the local television stations. They certainly have connections. We were able to use our local stations to help us when I was teaching.

I'll keep thinking.

Linda

almostamom
12-07-2009, 02:15 AM
I just sent you a PM.

misshollygolightly
12-07-2009, 09:28 AM
If you want to send meals but live too far away, you could get them a gift cert to Schwann's or another meal-delivery/ easy meal prep type service.

MMEand1
12-07-2009, 03:02 PM
If you want to send meals but live too far away, you could get them a gift cert to Schwann's or another meal-delivery/ easy meal prep type service.

GREAT idea! Thanks, I'll have to check into this.

Also, thank you for all the other ideas. I have contacted SeaWorld, the San Antonio Spurs, and the Rampage Ice Hockey team and am working these right now. I don't feel very confident that I will hear back from the Spurs as I'm sure that they get requests like this often. I do know someone over at the Rampage, so he is working on talking to some folks over there for me! Hopefully something will pan out..even if it's not swimming with the dolphins in Hawaii.

Less than 200 children are diagnosed with DIPG each year and it is a very ugly beast. I am so sad for this family and cannot imagine what they are going through. I just want to do whatever I can to give them some fun memories during their last few months with their little boy. Unfortunately, I do not have any contacts and am not famous or anything (that would be helpful!)

torontomom
12-07-2009, 03:41 PM
Less than 200 children are diagnosed with DIPG each year and it is a very ugly beast. I am so sad for this family and cannot imagine what they are going through. I just want to do whatever I can to give them some fun memories during their last few months with their little boy. Unfortunately, I do not have any contacts and am not famous or anything (that would be helpful!)

I would suggest that you contact the hospital (ask for Child Life or a social worker in the pediatric oncology unit). They could call these places for you. They may have already done this. Requests directly from the hospital will probably elicit a quicker and more positive response.

Also, here are some resources that you/your friends may find helpful. Not that anything is helpful for them at this time, but there is some "comfort" in knowing you are not the only family that has gone through this (because most of the time you feel like you are).
http://www.icouldbeyourchild.org/
http://www.smilesforsophieforever.org/