PDA

View Full Version : Blizzard on the way to ARIZONA!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
12-06-2009, 11:09 PM
YAY!!!!!!!!!
Well, Flagstaff, AZ at least... (http://www.weather.com/weather/alerts/localalerts/86001?phenomena=BZ&significance=W&areaid=AZZ015&office=KFGZ&etn=0001)

You know you are in a drought, when you are excited about a blizzard...

shawnandangel
12-07-2009, 12:08 AM
I miss snow! Stay safe! 12-24 inches! I hope some of that sticks around and you have a white Christmas.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
12-07-2009, 12:21 AM
There are a few more storms that models show after this one...
On average we have a 50/50 chance of snow on the ground on X-mas, we get most of our snow in Jan/Feb!
YAY SNOW!!!!!!
I predict our district will use 2 of the 6 snow days this week!

StantonHyde
12-07-2009, 12:40 AM
loooooove that snow! It's the only moisture we get here!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
12-07-2009, 01:08 AM
No kidding we need it!

graciebellesmomma
12-07-2009, 03:14 AM
It's passing through Tahoe at the moment!

It started at about noon today, though wasn't supposed to hit
until 10 pm. We have about 10 inches right now and it's said that
we can expect another 10-20 inches by tomorrow night!!

30 inches above 7000 ft.

We were coming back from Carson City and it was a blizzard.
Sooo scary and total white out. It was not fun, even a little.

We are safe and snug in our house, but it's 15 degrees outside!

Wonder if we will have a snow day tomorrow. My dh tells me that it's
very "light" snow, and if it were wet, it would be half as much?

Anyhow, enjoy and stay warm!

rlu
12-07-2009, 03:22 AM
hmm, keep safe. They are forecasting snow for our hills, snow possibly on 17 during commute and the slightest chance of snow here in the valley. Since we get snow once every couple of years (or more between) that's pretty darn exciting for us. Rain just started.

graciebellesmomma
12-07-2009, 03:38 AM
I just read that they said the Summit on the way to Santa Cruz could get up to 6 inches of snow! I was born and raised in Los Gatos, and the most we ever saw up there was maybe 2-3 inches! Crazy weather for the Bay Area.

Happy for the ski resorts up here!

baileygirl
12-07-2009, 03:46 AM
We're doing Polar Express up there this week, so I am excited my kids should get to see snow for the first time!

rlu
12-07-2009, 01:29 PM
I just read that they said the Summit on the way to Santa Cruz could get up to 6 inches of snow! I was born and raised in Los Gatos, and the most we ever saw up there was maybe 2-3 inches! Crazy weather for the Bay Area.

There's snow on them der hills. No snow here on the valley floor though (yet? maybe if we hope really hard?). Parts of Mt. Hamilton are closed to traffic and snow slowed the 17 commute over the Santa Cruz hills.

http://www.mercurynews.com/top-stories/ci_13942044

Allisonsmommy
12-07-2009, 01:42 PM
I'm in cochise county, AZ and we are supposed to get some too, but we are at 5000 feet so we wont get as much as 6000 or 7000 will.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
12-07-2009, 03:14 PM

I was born in SF, lived in Oakland for a few years and from 6-25, lived in South San Fran. Our friends said they had snow in Danville. Flagstaff is like Arizona's Tahoe. DH got a season pass, so he will be working half days a lot!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
12-07-2009, 03:16 PM
We're doing Polar Express up there this week, so I am excited my kids should get to see snow for the first time!

What day? Keep checking with ADOT, Flag to Williams on 40 can be sketch! You can PM me if you want for any weather updates. We are all joking about how ALL of the TV stations from PHX will be up here! Never fails!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
12-07-2009, 03:17 PM
There's snow on them der hills. No snow here on the valley floor though (yet? maybe if we hope really hard?). Parts of Mt. Hamilton are closed to traffic and snow slowed the 17 commute over the Santa Cruz hills.

http://www.mercurynews.com/top-stories/ci_13942044

Mt. Tam probably has snow too. There was supposed to be snow in Sacto.

carolinamama
12-07-2009, 03:18 PM
Stay warm! I miss snow - sometimes!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
12-07-2009, 03:20 PM
I'm in cochise county, AZ and we are supposed to get some too, but we are at 5000 feet so we wont get as much as 6000 or 7000 will.
I think 1-3 inches for ya'll is expected. They keep increasing our snowfall amounts....
My DH has to drive to Sedona for work Wed. The switchbacks (89) might be closed...

I would say we have 1/2 a foot, and It hasn't stopped snowing all day. Shoveling is pointless...

almostamom
12-07-2009, 04:30 PM
I think 1-3 inches for ya'll is expected. They keep increasing our snowfall amounts....
My DH has to drive to Sedona for work Wed. The switchbacks (89) might be closed...

I would say we have 1/2 a foot, and It hasn't stopped snowing all day. Shoveling is pointless...

It's been nearly 20 years since I lived in Flagstaff, but back then the switchbacks were traditionally the first roads to be cleared. Lots of the profs at NAU lived in Sedona and that's what they would take to get into Flag. I heard that NAU even closed today (a former student emailed to tell me - today was her math final!) That never happened when I went there and I swear there was one time we had nearly 30 inches overnight. Even when I taught there, I only remember one or two snow days.

We're enjoying lots of rain and 47 degrees in Phoenix. It's a very welcome change!

Linda

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
12-07-2009, 04:44 PM
It's been nearly 20 years since I lived in Flagstaff, but back then the switchbacks were traditionally the first roads to be cleared. Lots of the profs at NAU lived in Sedona and that's what they would take to get into Flag. I heard that NAU even closed today (a former student emailed to tell me - today was her math final!) That never happened when I went there and I swear there was one time we had nearly 30 inches overnight. Even when I taught there, I only remember one or two snow days.

We're enjoying lots of rain and 47 degrees in Phoenix. It's a very welcome change!

Linda

It's the wind that is making it so bad, they clear the roads, and then get drifts! 2004-2005 was our last wet winter and the airport even closed!!!! NAU closed at 12. FUSD is on a regular schedule. It is really pretty. But I live in Ponderosa Trails off of I-17 and have a scary driveway!

almostamom
12-07-2009, 05:06 PM
It's the wind that is making it so bad, they clear the roads, and then get drifts! 2004-2005 was our last wet winter and the airport even closed!!!! NAU closed at 12. FUSD is on a regular schedule. It is really pretty. But I live in Ponderosa Trails off of I-17 and have a scary driveway!

We stay in a vacation home in Ponderosa Trails a few times a year. It's got a steep driveway - it's precarious even in the summer. Stay warm!

BabyMine
12-07-2009, 05:57 PM
OOPS wrong thread.

graciebellesmomma
12-07-2009, 05:59 PM
We've got over 2 feet so far, and it's still coming down!!!
We are snowed in and all of the school are closed. I'm thinking that
they will be closed tomorrow, as well.

I'm sure Heavenly has 4-5 feet of snow, at this point. Yay, for the
ski resorts!

We are inside, doing crafts, made some chili, getting read to bundle up and
go sledding!

kransden
12-07-2009, 06:09 PM
DD will be so jealous, but we did get rain. The dog acted like the gods were angry with her and cowered in her crate.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
12-07-2009, 07:20 PM
DD will be so jealous, but we did get rain. The dog acted like the gods were angry with her and cowered in her crate.

DD ate it like it was crack as I was shoveling!!!! I wish I could send you some snow!
Here is downtown!
http://cgi.flagstaffwebcam.com/photoalbum_detail.cfm?photo_id=6

baileygirl
12-07-2009, 07:43 PM
What day? Keep checking with ADOT, Flag to Williams on 40 can be sketch! You can PM me if you want for any weather updates. We are all joking about how ALL of the TV stations from PHX will be up here! Never fails!

Thanks for the offer, but we aren't going up until this weekend! I hope that the bad weather is gone by then, but there is lots of snow!