PDA

View Full Version : Nitendo DS vs. Leapfrog Didj?

hellokitty
12-07-2009, 10:21 AM
So, DH and I were just talking about this last wk. DS1 will be turning six soon after Christmas. He still likes his leapster, but I've been eying the didj? However, it seems the the reviews are really mixed and ppl complain that the didj is nowhere as, "cool" as the nitendo DS. My question is, how, "educational" are either of these handheld systems? Is the Didj as education as the leapster is? I'm thinking that when the time comes, we'll probably just skip the didj all together and move onto the nitendo DS instead. Anyone else go through this same dilemma or have opinions on this?

egoldber
12-07-2009, 10:28 AM
I would not get the Didj. The next system you get for your kid will be an investment, something they can use for many, many years. The DS will grow with them. There are millions of DS units out there. There is huge availability of used games and new ones all the time. I would not spend money on the Didj.

nellonello
12-07-2009, 11:27 AM
Going with a DS is a much better investment. It will last years longer and has an endless number of games. I don't see the Diji being around nearly as long.

SnuggleBuggles
12-07-2009, 11:45 AM
DS. The Didj won't last as long as a DS would. Not only are there so many more games available for so many ages now but you ca easily pick them up used at Game Stop and such. Leap Frog has changed product lines so much that in the next 1-2 years they'll likely have some new game system available and you will have a hard time finding games for the model you have (we had that experience with our Leap Pad).

There are lots of games for the DS, like I Spy, that would be fun and educational for a 6yo.
Beth

hellokitty
12-07-2009, 02:31 PM
Thanks ladies, for the feedback. My DH didn't want to get it, b/c he wants to get the DS (b/c HE wants one). So, I wasn't sure how objective his opinion was, b/c he says that the didj is a, "stupid" system. I think we'll think about a DS in a yr or two. Thanks!