PDA

View Full Version : $180 to spend on DS

soontobe
12-07-2009, 09:14 PM
So my dh's aunt gave us $180 for ds's birthday/chanukah/birth (she never gave us anything when he was born) and said to get him something nice with it.

so......... what do we get:) (I am okay with spend $220 including shipping TOPS if we need to)

I was thinking that I would like to get him a nice table and chair set with the money (I was just going to get him a cheep one, but now....) is there something else I should be considering? I think my ILs will get him a play kitchen at some point (they got one for the other grandchildren)

if you think the table is a good idea which one? how is kidcraft?

thanks!!! I love these problems;)

WatchingThemGrow
12-07-2009, 09:40 PM
The kidkraft is nice, but I would think PBK would be better quality. Most of the time, I would choose to buy something 2nd hand that would be better quality/style than the new cheaper alternative. We got a great PBK train table for $125 on CL. What about one of their activity tables with different sizes of legs?

DrSally
12-07-2009, 10:00 PM
Table an dchairs would be nice. Magnatiles for the future?

carolinamama
12-07-2009, 10:15 PM
Table and chairs sounds great. We have the PBK Caroline table and chairs. It is holding up pretty well with lots of use since it is in the kitchen. Another suggestion would be a Learning Tower. Or a train/activity table.

goldenpig
12-07-2009, 10:18 PM
We don't have one of these, but I've heard a lot of people rave about Learning Towers. I think they're about $180. You can also buy extras to make it an easel or puppet theater.
http://littlepartners.com/learningtower
As for play tables, we have the one from Land of Nod:
http://www.landofnod.com/family.aspx?c=1529&f=664
I think the table itself is about $180, but you can buy it with low, medium and high legs and use it all throughout childhood as a play table and later a desk. Right now we have it set up with the low legs, paper roller and bins and beanbag chairs. It's definitely pricey but I like how versatile it is and how we'll be able to use it for a long time. Right now we have our train set out on it so it's a good train table too.

soontobe
12-07-2009, 10:19 PM
I was looking at the PBK carolina table-are the prices just for the table or does it include any chairs? also would you recommend the caroline set or the my first table set? (I am assuming the big vs small carolina set is just in the number of chairs it will seat right?

the learning tower looks really nice, but we have ZERO room in our kitchen for that! I wish lol

thanks!

justlearning
12-07-2009, 10:55 PM
If you're looking for baby/kid gear, a kinderzeat/tripp trapp is another suggestion.

My recommendation, though, would be for a used table and chairs off of craigslist and then get a set of magnatiles as well. If you have an Ikea nearby, they also have inexpensive tables and chairs. I was glad that we didn't spend a lot of money on table and chairs because that way I didn't freak out when my kids got marks on them that wouldn't come out, etc. Also, kids can outgrow a table quickly. Here's what we've had in the past:

1st table--an unfinished small table and chairs similar to PBK first table set's dimensions. I bought it new for $40 (before knowing about craigslist) and painted it.

2nd table-My kids then needed more space, though, so I next got a large table (very similar to PBK Carolina table) for $8 at Goodwill and then bought nice personalized chairs for my kids at Lands End (no longer available) for $15 each. It looked nearly as nice as PBK furniture and my kids enjoyed it as much as an expensive set.

3rd table--My kids (4 and 6 1/2) are very tall so I've now moved them up to taller chairs and a taller table. I found four coordinating school chairs (around 1st grade size) that were in excellent condition for $3 each on craigslist. I then bought a small (custom-made) dining table off of craigslist for $15. My husband cut a few inches of the legs off to make it the perfect height to go with our new chairs.

So my point is that it's been nice to not have too much invested in the table and chairs because more than likely they're not something that you'll be holding on to for a really long time.

On the other hand, my first son got magnatiles for his 3rd birthday and has played with them every day since. My younger son started playing with them when he was one and also absolutely loves them. (They REALLY were happy when we got another 100-piece set last year for a total of 200.) Every time another kid (either son's age) comes over to our house, the magnatiles are the first toy they go to and the one they play the longest with.

Just my recommendation...

carolinamama
12-07-2009, 10:56 PM
I was looking at the PBK carolina table-are the prices just for the table or does it include any chairs? also would you recommend the caroline set or the my first table set? (I am assuming the big vs small carolina set is just in the number of chairs it will seat right?

the learning tower looks really nice, but we have ZERO room in our kitchen for that! I wish lol

thanks!

Here is what we have:

http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/carolina-small-table-chairs-set/?pkey=dplay-table-chairs

Right now you can get the set with table and 2 chairs for $199. We started with that and are adding two more chairs this Christmas now that DS1 is getting older and has friends over more. MIL is getting one chair for each boy this year. The dimensions of the table and chairs are on that page linked above.

blisstwins
12-07-2009, 11:05 PM
http://www.littlecolorado.com/stock44.html

We have and have been very happy with this table and chairs.

We also have magnatiles and they are BELOVED.

kozachka
12-08-2009, 02:07 AM
How about buying your DS something not so expensive and investing the rest in his name? Just because you have the money, does not mean you have to spend it all right away.

klwa
12-08-2009, 07:55 AM
How about buying your DS something not so expensive and investing the rest in his name? Just because you have the money, does not mean you have to spend it all right away.

:yeahthat: I almost always buy DC a small something with any money sent for them & put the rest in their bank account or 529 plan.

bluestar2
12-08-2009, 07:59 AM
:yeahthat: This is exactly what we do when we get cash gifts.

tmarie
12-08-2009, 08:27 AM
I love our activity table from the Land of Nod (my girlfriend just got an almost identical one, http://www.activitytableshop.com/?source=googleaw&kwid=activity%20table&tid=exact) with free shipping. I like the fact it comes with low legs so that a toddler can comfortably stand at it to draw or do puzzles.....then it also comes with longer legs for when they grow--at that point you can add chairs. PBK has the sturdiest chairs. Sometimes they have floor models on sale for a great discount. I wasted money buying kidcraft chairs first--they fell apart within months!

tmarie

BeachBum
12-08-2009, 08:47 AM
We have a Lipper brand set from here http://www.babyandmeboutique.com/lipper.htm.
My son is tall and this set we started using this when he was about 2. We had a smaller PBK table before that. He is 4 now and still fits very comfortably and so do other kids. I just want to mention it because I hadn't heard of Lipper. That website has a lot of their products and I've been very pleased with the quality, price and look.

If you don't have a Nilo table (or some sort of train/ play table) that might be another option. http://www.nilotoys.com/at.htm

We use our table and chairs for art projects, play doh, computer games etc. The Nilo table is for blocks, trains, cars, playmobil etc.

Melaine
12-08-2009, 08:58 AM
I vote for Tripp Trapp or Learning Tower!

soontobe
12-08-2009, 09:05 AM
:yeahthat: I almost always buy DC a small something with any money sent for them & put the rest in their bank account or 529 plan.

usually this is what i would do, but she specifically asked that we buy him something with it and I think that since it is her gift I should respect that. I'm not complaining:)

what's the story with magnatiles. the warning said 3yrs and over-but can he play with them earlier? do all kids like them or is it more hit and miss? we don't have a ton of space (we are planning on moving at point, but I don't know how much more space we will get, probably just nicer space lol) so I don't think I can do anything that large.....

mommylamb
12-08-2009, 10:06 AM
I have to say, I love DS's table and chair set, and I got it for $25 at Ikea. It's really sturdy and he can be hard on things, but it holds up to the abuse.

soontobe
12-08-2009, 10:09 AM
which one did you get from Ikea? the mammut one looks cute-is that the one you are talking about?

wellyes
12-08-2009, 10:43 AM
For me, I'd get a Trofast sytem at IKEA - toy storage and play unit in one.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_X7J6pattNWY/Ss85PAyNAnI/AAAAAAAAEJ8/bxYS0EjDxPQ/s800/DSC04528.JPG

I have to say, I love DS's table and chair set, and I got it for $25 at Ikea. It's really sturdy and he can be hard on things, but it holds up to the abuse.DD's is from IKEA too. I forget the name of the set - it has a little puppy cutout on the back? Anyway, it was definitely under $30. I personally wouldn't spend more.

PS I am not an IKEA junkie LOL. I just like their kids stuff.

Another option would be a PBK "Anywhere Chair" - a big foam comfy chair for little ones, light enough that they can even carry from room to room:

http://cache.gifts.com/photos/T/V/P/G/TVPGQYH5MNFHZL339Z25_L.jpg