PDA

View Full Version : Booster Recommentation For Travel

smzapalac
12-07-2009, 11:17 PM
Need car seat opinion/recommendation. We are traveling this weekend and briefly riding in my brother-in-law's SUV from the airport to the hotel, with our 4.5 year old (41 lbs) and my 2 yo (also 41 lbs. and 38 1/2 tall). I bought Graco Turboboosters to use, backless for the 4.5 yo, and the high-back for the 2 yo. Do you think these are a safe choice for our trip? I have never put our 2 yo in a booster, but she is the same size as our 4.5 yo. and she seems fine in the turbobooster. I really would like to bring something light/easy to transport, but most importantly, I wan the girls safe. Any recommendations would be wonderful. Thanks!

SnuggleBuggles
12-07-2009, 11:39 PM
I would not put a 2yo in a booster seat. They don't have the maturity to sit in a booster. And, after traveling she will likely conk out in the car, which would make her slump and be less than safe in a booster. I know it is a PITB but you need to bring a real convertible for her, imo. Just because she weighs as much as your 4.5yo doesn't mean her muscular or skeletal system is as developed, which is why a 2yo is safer rf'ing for example.

I;ve heard the Scenera is light weight for travel and it is a real carseat.

Beth

o_mom
12-07-2009, 11:50 PM
I have to agree with Beth on this one. A 2 yo really needs a harnessed seat. Unfortunately since she is over 40 lbs, there aren't a whole lot of choices there. I would bring your regular harnessed seat for her if possible. What does she normally ride in? We can help you decide if it is easy enough for travel or if you want to buy something for the trip.

Keep the highback Turbo for the 4 yo to use - a highback booster is much safer, and for a younger booster rider you want that shoulderbelt positioning to be very good so they don't slip out in a crash. You can pack the back in luggage and then carry on the seat portion to make sure it gets to the destination. You can't use the booster on the plane, but carrying it in the cabin means that you at least have something when you get there if the luggage is lost.

smzapalac
12-07-2009, 11:51 PM
Thanks for your reply. I read a review of the Scenera and I think my 2 yo. isn't going to fit in it very well. She is so large and I think I will run into the same problem with the Graco Comfort Sport. She was spilling out of that seat. I need to check the seat out at the store to see. Thanks for your reply to the post.

o_mom
12-07-2009, 11:55 PM
Thanks for your reply. I read a review of the Scenera and I think my 2 yo. isn't going to fit in it very well. She is so large and I think I will run into the same problem with the Graco Comfort Sport. She was spilling out of that seat. I need to check the seat out at the store to see. Thanks for your reply to the post.

Yes, she is over the weight limit for most of the smaller seats. The Scenera and ComfortSport both only go to 40 lbs and the ComfortSport is very, very short. If you were looking at lightweight options, I would consider the Safeguard Go (aka Safety 1st Hybrid Go) which folds to the size of a small carry-on bag, a RideSafer Travel Vest - this is a vest product that is super easy to carry on, or lastly, something like the Evenflo Generations65 which is a traditional seat with a 65 lb harness limit.

smzapalac
12-07-2009, 11:57 PM
My 2 yo. old rides in a Britax Marathon each day. That seat is SO heavy and we were trying to avoid taking that with. Being 41 lbs. at such a young age really limits my choices.

Thanks for your suggestion about using the high-back for my 4.5 yo. I thought the low and the high were the same. And your suggestion about taking the seat on the plane and the highback in the luggage was a great one. Thanks!

o_mom
12-08-2009, 12:01 AM
My 2 yo. old rides in a Britax Marathon each day. That seat is SO heavy and we were trying to avoid taking that with. Being 41 lbs. at such a young age really limits my choices.

Thanks for your suggestion about using the high-back for my 4.5 yo. I thought the low and the high were the same. And your suggestion about taking the seat on the plane and the highback in the luggage was a great one. Thanks!

Glad to help! Of the seats I suggested above, I forgot to mention that the Go requires a top tether so you would want to check with your BIL to see if he has that. The RideSafer can be used with a lap-shoulder belt, a lap-shoulder belt plus top tether, or a lap only belt with top tether. The newer designed ones look much more comfortable (more open in the back, better fit). The Generations won't be much smaller than your Marathon, but probably lighter - BRU should have one to compare if you want to look at it, just make sure you are looking at the '65'.

If all else fails, exchange the backless for a second highback and sit right next to the 2 yo the whole way to make sure she stays seated properly.