PDA

View Full Version : Partial Weaning

Claki
12-07-2009, 11:30 PM
Yet another breast feeding question from me! It seems like all I do when I'm not feeding baby is research about feeding baby.

Does anyone have advice about partial weaning to formula during working hours? Pumping is going to be a nightmare with my work schedule, so I'm strongly considering weaning to formula when baby goes to daycare full time in five weeks then nursing at night and in the mornings. I'm going to decide by Friday if this is the direction we want to go. I think it will be the best way to ensure long term nursing, even though it will only be partial.

I have about 30 bags of 5 oz of milk already frozen from when I was pumping one side and nursing the other to get a plug out. I am not pumping at all now so I can get my oversupply in control. If we start weaning I'm going to start offering by going to the bottle for one feeding a day, then going up. Because my milk is frozen in 5 oz increments, would it make more sense to start with formula until we work up to multiple bottle feedings a day? That way I won't waste my frozen supply by not using all five ounces. Will it confuse baby to start adding in formula and then go back to BM in a bottle later? Do I need to be consistent with what is in the bottles?