PDA

View Full Version : Just for Fun: The "BBB Parent" Look

salsah
12-08-2009, 01:55 AM
this is sort of a s/o of the "new parent" look thread. I was at lands end (in sears) checking out the 40% off sale that someone posted about here. i saw a couple of other mom's in the kids section and for some reason i thought that they are probably BBB bargain shopping moms too -- that they too must have heard about the sale from the bbb. often when i see moms with great gear or kids clothes that are common on these boards but not common in my area (things that i probably learned about here), the thought that they might be bbb moms crosses my mind.

anyone else here have a stereotypical BBB mom image?

elektra
12-08-2009, 02:12 AM
Yes. You know you are a BBB mom if:
-your kids are dressed in HA, Gymbo, or LE
-you know what HA, Gymbo and LE stand for
- you yourself are wearing some combo of the following: mineral makeup, danskos/privos/merrells, yoga pants, NYDJ
- you have a very cool pink bracelet made by Fairy
-you have either a BabyJogger, a Maclaren, or a P3 stroller or maybe all 3!
-if you have a double stroller it is a SBS and not a tandem
-your car seats are installed correctly and are rearfacing if you have a child under 2
-you are wearing a bravado nursing tank if you are nursing
- you own a tripp trapp or a learning tower
- you can consult your friends on any type of baby gear and they stare at you in wonder and amazement
- it pains you to pay for shipping on anything

and I'm sure I can think of more. :)

TahliasMom
12-08-2009, 03:05 AM
- you yourself are wearing some combo of the following: mineral makeup, danskos/privos/merrells, yoga pants, NYDJ
-your car seats are installed correctly and are rearfacing if you have a child under 2
- you can consult your friends on any type of baby gear and they stare at you in wonder and amazement

LOL! it's funny as i read and nod my head...:)

MoJo
12-08-2009, 06:55 AM
I'll add, "when you know so much more than the CNP at your ped's office because of all that you read here, that HER head is spinning!"

WatchingThemGrow
12-08-2009, 07:35 AM
Great list, Elektra. I'll add, you:

-consult or at least consider your clothing roster while doing said shopping at the LE sale
-have an extra 25% off code on your iPod Touch to use in addition to any sale prices if you place an order at your LE kiosk
-go back home to see 3 internet purchases of toys you scored at >50% off waiting on your doorstep
ETA:
-your dinner is already made because you do daisymommy's mealplan tips
-your gift list is on your iPod in Excel because you adopted Fairy's mega-spreadsheet last week
-at least one of your DC is wearing SKR or Tsukihoshis

ourbabygirl
12-08-2009, 09:11 AM
And can't wait to get back home from the sale to check the boards! :wink2:

Melaine
12-08-2009, 09:12 AM
I love all these :jammin:

Ceepa
12-08-2009, 09:24 AM
I don't have any of the BBB wardrobe myself but now if I see someone wearing all that I'll throw up the secret hand sign. :D

ThreeofUs
12-08-2009, 12:23 PM
Absolutely. I totally wonder if I'm seeing another BBB mom, especially if I hear her talk about gear or clothes the way we do!

I'm sad I don't have any of the wardrobe myself, but I do have the bracelet! And Bravado nursing tanks give me plugged ducts - does a bravado bra count?

arivecchi
12-08-2009, 12:47 PM

and I'm sure I can think of more. :) LOL! I agree with most of these except for boys, you have to add Mini Boden. :)

mommy111
12-08-2009, 12:57 PM
:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:
This is crazy funny, I think the same when I see other moms shopping at the sales I've heard about from here

veronica
12-08-2009, 01:24 PM

I love this! So true. Also, you travel to BRU and feel so sorry when you see people registering for the "run of the mill" stuff.

-you can recommend at least 2 "special" treatments to help with bad diaper rash that include some sort of OTC Maalox product

-you often refer to your DH or DC's as "Darling X"
-you are likely the only one to know what magnatiles are and getting 100 clear ones for under $95 is the bomb!!!!!!!

ahh, I could go on!

AnnieW625
12-08-2009, 01:49 PM

This is me for the most part, although in my mommy group I think I am the only one who posts here. I first found out about the P3 and the Bob Revolution from them. Also found out about Bravado bras from another beauty message board I post at. Even before kiddos I was always on the lookout for free shipping

From the post above I don't have/haven't done:
a double stroller.....YET!
we didn't rear face past 2, but plan to make it to at least 2 with #2
I don't have P3
I can't bring myself to buy a pair of Merrells, although I do have some Privos, and love my Dansko clogs (had them since 2001 when I won them from the Self Magazine exercise challenge)
I've never bought a pair of NYDJ
can't do mineral makeup like Bare Escentuals

Ceepa
12-08-2009, 02:12 PM
I love this! So true. Also, you travel to BRU and feel so sorry when you see people registering for the "run of the mill" stuff.

I have run of the mill stuff, guess some would feel "so sorry" for me.

mommylamb
12-08-2009, 02:28 PM
One more thing... based on all the H1N1 questions and answers on this blog, I keep answering people's questions and pointing them to the spot on the CDC web site for their question...

shawnandangel
12-08-2009, 02:40 PM
If you go to PBK and think to yourself "I like it, but I'll go home and try the number trick"

jgenie
12-08-2009, 02:41 PM
if you go to pbk and think to yourself "i like it, but i'll go home and try the number trick"

:hysterical:

mommylamb
12-08-2009, 02:45 PM
Ok, feeling less BBB parentish, but what's the number trick?:duck:

ETA: oh and a few others... you know what a CSA is and don't use Johnson's baby products.

elektra
12-08-2009, 02:47 PM

I was wondering this too! Is it something where if the price ends in $.89 or $.69 it means something like an additional discount??

Corie
12-08-2009, 03:31 PM
I don't have any of the BBB wardrobe myself but now if I see someone wearing all that I'll throw up the secret hand sign. :D

Ceepa,

I thought the BBB wardrobe was a hairbow. :) That's how you spotted
us!

veronica
12-08-2009, 03:46 PM
I have run of the mill stuff, guess some would feel "so sorry" for me.

No, no, I didn't mean this offensively at all. What I meant is seeing couples register for 8 different types of pacifiers or the "deluxe bath set from J&J" that will never get used or those "toys" that look so cool and bother the heck out of you when you get them home....that is what I meant by my comment. I, in no way, meant to imply that the selection at BRU is run of the mill. I merely meant to imply that a BBB mom know her stuff and knows what she wants much better than a new couple registering! Sorry if it came accross that way!

carolinamama
12-08-2009, 03:47 PM

This is great. Just last night, DH and I were discussing a Christmas gift for my dad. We have to order it from WS and DH was asking me if I could come across any discount codes or one for free shipping from "those websites you go on". He has even come to expect me to never pay full-price and figure I learn about deals around here!

boltfam
12-08-2009, 03:56 PM
Great list, Elektra. I'll add, you:

-have an extra 25% off code on your iPod Touch to use in addition to any sale prices if you place an order at your LE kiosk

I didn't know about this....please explain further! :)

WatchingThemGrow
12-08-2009, 04:04 PM
I didn't know about this....please explain further! :)
well, just sometimes they have online codes with PINs that are sent out in an email (that get shared here) that allow you to take an extra % off whatever you're ordering. And, since ordering from the store gets you FS already, it's just another discount. Sign up for their emails and you'll get some.

pakin
12-08-2009, 04:08 PM
If your 4-year-old is the only one in her Preschool class that still rides in a 5 pt harness car seat. Most of DD's friends are in backless boosters!!

Pakin

DS 4/2001
DD 6/2005

firsttimemama
12-08-2009, 04:08 PM
someone point me to the mealplan thing? I'm a regular but don't know what you're talking about

I will add -

you are enjoying a free trial of amazon prime this holiday season and/or you understand why prime is so great (and don't ask me like SIL did "what is amazon prime?")

Fairy
12-08-2009, 04:12 PM

Hahahaha! Awesome. Ok, how about if ...

* You use DH, DS, DD, MIL, FIL, BIL, and SIL on non-parenting message boards

* Better, you use DH, DS, DD, MIL, FIL, BIL, and SIL in daily conversational speech.

* You have to pick your moments to tell your DH that you want to run something by the BBB because he's starting to get a complex about how much weight your giving their opinions.

* You know how to work the deals to the point of the vendors owing YOU money by the time you're done with them.

* You do what you can to keep the BBB a secret from your friends/family for fear they will one day find your little treasure trove of posts about ... them.

* You know who to PM on the board when you need to go offline about Vax, AP, co-sleeping, BF'ing, FF'ing, carseats, strollers, crunchiness, and technical support.

This is fun!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
12-08-2009, 04:13 PM
You make oatmeal cake!

boltfam
12-08-2009, 04:16 PM
well, just sometimes they have online codes with PINs that are sent out in an email (that get shared here) that allow you to take an extra % off whatever you're ordering. And, since ordering from the store gets you FS already, it's just another discount. Sign up for their emails and you'll get some.

Thanks! That's a great idea!

boltfam
12-08-2009, 04:18 PM
someone point me to the mealplan thing? I'm a regular but don't know what you're talking about

I will add -

you are enjoying a free trial of amazon prime this holiday season and/or you understand why prime is so great (and don't ask me like SIL did "what is amazon prime?")

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=318428 (http://http//www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=318428)
It's in the What's Cookin' section - it's the first sticky.

Fairy
12-08-2009, 04:20 PM
If your 4-year-old is the only one in her Preschool class that still rides in a 5 pt harness car seat. Most of DD's friends are in backless boosters!!

Pakin

DS 4/2001
DD 6/2005

YES! yes, yes!

clc053103
12-08-2009, 04:25 PM
You give unsolicited advice to people in BRU and TRU to prevent them from wasting their money (and sadly, they ignore you- fine then, go ahead, get the Graco stroller, and in two months when you realize what you've done, remember I told you so!!!)

mousemom
12-08-2009, 04:28 PM
* Better, you use DH, DS, DD, MIL, FIL, BIL, and SIL in daily conversational speech.

I haven't said these out loud, but I use them in my head all the time (like instead of DH's or DS's names). I was wondering if I was the only one.:)

Fairy
12-08-2009, 04:29 PM
You give unsolicited advice to people in BRU and TRU to prevent them from wasting their money (and sadly, they ignore you- fine then, go ahead, get the Graco stroller, and in two months when you realize what you've done, remember I told you so!!!)

Yep. .........................

arivecchi
12-08-2009, 04:31 PM
Hahahaha! Awesome. Ok, how about if ...

* You use DH, DS, DD, MIL, FIL, BIL, and SIL on non-parenting message boards

* You have to pick your moments to tell your DH that you want to run something by the BBB because he's starting to get a complex about how much weight your giving their opinions.

* You know how to work the deals to the point of the vendors owing YOU money by the time you're done with them.

* You do what you can to keep the BBB a secret from your friends/family for fear they will one day find your little treasure trove of posts about ... them.

* You know who to PM on the board when you need to go offline about Vax, AP, co-sleeping, BF'ing, FF'ing, carseats, strollers, crunchiness, and technical support.

This is fun! So very true! I always tell DH of all the stuff I learn here and why it overrules his advice. :) I also hope my family never comes here, I have plenty of BPs!

sste
12-08-2009, 04:46 PM
I have once, accidentally, in public, said DS out loud in conversation with someone I do not know that well. It was too humiliating to even try to explain so I just did a stare-down and hoped the person assumed I had tourette's syndrome . . .

bluestar2
12-08-2009, 04:58 PM

calv
12-08-2009, 05:03 PM
YES! yes, yes!

LMAO at this. We had a playdate yesterday and the mom wanted to put our DD in a booster. thanks but no thanks. Our child(ren) are all in 5 pt seats.

Fairy
12-08-2009, 05:06 PM
LMAO at this. We had a playdate yesterday and the mom wanted to put our DD in a booster. thanks but no thanks. Our child(ren) are all in 5 pt seats.

I know, and all my friends think I'm insane. Truly. Thank goodness DH is on board, tho my parents don't get it, either. I get the "you didn't have one and you were fine" speech alot.

carolinamama
12-08-2009, 05:07 PM

No one in our neighborhood can understand why we are so strict about DS being in a harnessed seat when their 4 yos are in low back boosters. So I do more than my fair share of the carpooling but that's just fine with me.

ETA - And I know they really don't understand us when they see DS2 in his RFing seat. DS1 has asked several times if he could ride RFing again, but his Marathon only goes to 33 lbs and he is 35! At least my kids are BBB smart!

carolinamama
12-08-2009, 05:17 PM
I know, and all my friends think I'm insane. Truly. Thank goodness DH is on board, tho my parents don't get it, either. I get the "you didn't have one and you were fine" speech alot.

Yeah, I'm so glad DH is on board too. And I just have to brag on my dad for a second - Sunday he was installing DS's carseat in his car so he could ride home with them from church. I saw him climb in the back in his church suit and attach the tether in his Tahoe. My mom was shaking the seat which I don't think he had tightened yet and complained that he didn't have it tight enough. My dad told her he was coming back around to do that part but he had to make sure the tether was attached too because that was really important in a ffing seat. He must be listening to my carseat lectures! He does alot of carseat installing for our kids since they have one seat for each one but sometimes they ride in my mom's car, sometimes my dad's.

And I have BBB to thank for alot of my carseat knowledge.

mousemom
12-08-2009, 05:27 PM
Thought of another one:

You've read Ellyn Satter and believe in a division of responsibility when it comes to feeding.

shawnandangel
12-08-2009, 05:28 PM

ETA: oh and a few others... you know what a CSA is and don't use Johnson's baby products.

I was wondering this too! Is it something where if the price ends in $.89 or $.69 it means something like an additional discount??

If you go to the PBK website and replace the first two item numbers with 68- then sometimes you get a discounted price.
Here is a recent thread that used the number trick: http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=343019&highlight=Pottery
On the PBK website they showed up at regular price but if you used the number trick they came up 9.99

I've used it for those towels and for aprons. I got aprons in the spring for 6.99 with free monogramming.

mommylamb
12-08-2009, 05:35 PM

Oh yes... I've been bitching about my sister today in the bitch post and, now that she's about to be a mom and has the baby bargains book, I'm terribly afraid that she will discover these message boards and see that I'm bitching about her (she would recognize the picture of DS on my avatar and would know the significance of my username).

AnnieW625
12-08-2009, 05:51 PM
No, no, I didn't mean this offensively at all. What I meant is seeing couples register for 8 different types of pacifiers or the "deluxe bath set from J&J" that will never get used or those "toys" that look so cool and bother the heck out of you when you get them home....that is what I meant by my comment. I, in no way, meant to imply that the selection at BRU is run of the mill. I merely meant to imply that a BBB mom know her stuff and knows what she wants much better than a new couple registering! Sorry if it came accross that way!

With the exception of my Maclaren stroller which in my neighborhood is becoming less of a rarity, it was rare in 2006 when I got it as I didn't want a Graco travel system as my lone stroller I too am very much a run of the mill person. I have a $70 Graco Snugride that I'll most likely use for #2 (even though I'd really like a Chicco Key Fit 30). I am a minimalist too so I only registered for the stuff I knew we would use. I once had a friend register for over 100 things; she had no clue what she was doing. I was bad and added up everything registered for it was over $3000 in stuff (this was pre kids) and it was all nothing fancy too!

That's another thing I didn't know about the Key Fit 30 until I started posting here on a regular basis late last year.

MichelleRC
12-08-2009, 06:22 PM

Pakin

DS 4/2001
DD 6/2005

Mine is the only 7 year old I know in a 5 point harness!!!!

Fairy
12-08-2009, 06:23 PM

Mine will join you in two more years.

caleymama
12-08-2009, 06:39 PM
My DD1 also! (although only in my van, she's in a HBB in DH's truck) My 5yo is still harnessed in both vehicles.

I'm dying here - DD2 (just turned 5) is sitting next to me and just asked "mommy, what does 'my DD1' mean?" :ROTFLMAO: Should I let her in on the BBB lingo? She's starting to read now and I guess I'm not so safe when she's beside me anymore.

Just this past weekend my Dad asked me if I'd read anything on my message board about carpet cleaners. They are looking for a recommendation (new house, never had wall to wall carpet before). Unfortunately I didn't remember that being discussed, at least not on a local level. Told him he'd have to check out Angie's List and that I'd ask my local friends on FB. We don't have carpet either so I couldn't help him.

hellbennt
12-08-2009, 06:58 PM
that baby carrier can mean something other than a snugglie or bjorn...

(ds1 is 6 & 1/2 & 5-pt harnessed & ds2 is 3 & 1/2 and still RF & everyone we know thinks I'm bonkers!)

Ceepa
12-08-2009, 07:06 PM

It's OK. Sorry I'm so sensitive. ;) When we registered we were clueless and just did our best. And once we learned more we weighed what was important to us (carseats) and what wasn't (elite stroller) and bought accordingly. So although I'm now a BBB mom and know my stuff, I was a mom-to-be who didn't know a lot and didn't have the means to purchase many items considered practical or desirable by board standards.

I've come a long way ...:loveeyes:

Happy 2B mommy
12-08-2009, 07:33 PM
Around here I wonder if someone of being a BBBer if...

The baby bucket isn't from the 1990's
They own anything 'fancier' than a Graco stroller

I strongly suspect they are a BBBer if...

They are wearing their baby and it's not a snugli or bgorn
They own a Britax seat

and I walk up to them and look for Fairy's braclet if...

Their Britax seat is rearfacing and the child is over the age of 1
Their kiddo's over the age of 3 and still in a 5 point harness
LO is dressed in Hanna

LarsMal
12-08-2009, 07:57 PM
I haven't said these out loud, but I use them in my head all the time (like instead of DH's or DS's names). I was wondering if I was the only one.:)

No, I do this too (in my head). Sometimes I have to think about it afterward and try to remember if I did say "DS" or if I used his name!

I also spend the majority of my day looking at the world around me and starting threads in my head, wondering what the other BBBers would think/say about it...luckily I don't put them all down here!!

ThreeofUs
12-08-2009, 07:59 PM
I have once, accidentally, in public, said DS out loud in conversation with someone I do not know that well. It was too humiliating to even try to explain so I just did a stare-down and hoped the person assumed I had tourette's syndrome . . .

:ROTFLMAO:

OMG, that's one of the funniest things I've ever heard!

(But, er, I've almost done that and other such things, too. *blush*)

And DS2 is in a 5-point and will be until ... well, until I can't make him stay in one any more. That's what, about 16?

elektra
12-08-2009, 08:04 PM
I also spend the majority of my day looking at the world around me and starting threads in my head, wondering what the other BBBers would think/say about it...luckily I don't put them all down here!!

ME TOO. Totally.

MamaMolly
12-08-2009, 10:08 PM

:ROTFLMAO: Me too! Except most of mine would be in the BP. ;)

Oh, and I've got one: When you are shopping at Target and a very preggy Mama asks your advice and 45 minutes later you've not only given an oral dissertation on your must have's and where to find them, you've written down the name of the BBBook and insist she join the boards. When it is a perfect stranger I love to talk up the BBB. With friends and family I keep it hushy-hush. Since SIL, MIL and DH are all on FB this is my last refuge!!

jacksmomtobe
12-08-2009, 10:29 PM
hahahaha! Awesome. Ok, how about if ...

* you use dh, ds, dd, mil, fil, bil, and sil on non-parenting message boards

* better, you use dh, ds, dd, mil, fil, bil, and sil in daily conversational speech.

* you have to pick your moments to tell your dh that you want to run something by the bbb because he's starting to get a complex about how much weight your giving their opinions.

* you know how to work the deals to the point of the vendors owing you money by the time you're done with them.

* you do what you can to keep the bbb a secret from your friends/family for fear they will one day find your little treasure trove of posts about ... Them.

* you know who to pm on the board when you need to go offline about vax, ap, co-sleeping, bf'ing, ff'ing, carseats, strollers, crunchiness, and technical support.

This is fun!

so many of the above!

Sweetum
12-08-2009, 10:34 PM
love this thread!

I was at a restaurant a couple of nights ago, and saw a kid in a body bib - have never seen that before! But I know that's something I would probably find on BBB, and I wondered to myself if the mom was a BBBer!

salsah
12-08-2009, 10:39 PM

Pakin

DS 4/2001
DD 6/2005

yes! I forgot about car seats -- extended rear facing, extended harnessing, and using the tethers!

newg
12-08-2009, 10:48 PM

Okay, I totally did this!!! It wasn't at BRU, but another baby store and I totally knew more about BJ strollers than the clerk!!! I should have gotten some commission from that sale!!

jent
12-08-2009, 11:18 PM

Definitely not the only one. I've joked with DH that I'm going to start calling him that now (not like I ever use his real name anyway...)

AngelaS
12-08-2009, 11:51 PM

Mine's 7.5 and her 5yo sister's in one too. We don't know anyone else irl their ages in harnesses either. :P

DrSally
12-09-2009, 12:44 AM
!

:ROTFLMAO: So true.

Before even seeing the other posts, I would've definitely said P3, rear facing, 5 point harness. We're just about to move DS from the Decathalon to the FR. I cannot believe some kids in preschool are in backless boosters. Big "yeah that" on the baked oatmeal. Oh, and if you ever see someone in BBB ordering a FR carseat with a 20% off coupon, you'll definitely know!

LexyLou
12-09-2009, 12:50 AM

Just today another mom asked why my DD was still in a 5 pt.

DrSally
12-09-2009, 12:54 AM
When I was dropping DS off at preschool, another child commented that DD was facing backwards (like it was odd). I didn't catch the mom's response. ITA about the giving advice to people at Target (don't go to BRU much these days). The other day I saw a mom with a lovely, well behaved group of 4 children and a newborn. She was testing out strollers. I talked to her and steered her to the Graco metrolite if she was looking for things in that price range (she was looking at a Cosco stroller, ugh). She was looking for something lightweight, easy to steer, with a big basket. She was appreciative, but I don't know if she took the advice.
I never thought I would have 3 strollers , but I do...

Kymberley
12-09-2009, 12:55 AM
Did anyone mention Sophie yet? I never heard of this toy until I came here, now everyone asks what my son is playing with.