PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo DS help

wendmatt
12-08-2009, 10:35 AM
So we've decided to get the DS for DD for christmas as she doesn't ask for much. If we just buy the unit does it come with a game on it or do we need to buy games too? Do we need to buy an accessory kit? What else would we need to get?
Sorry if this sounds dumb but I have never played on one (just seen kids with them) and have no idea what to get.
Thanks
Wendy

Melaine
12-08-2009, 10:43 AM
There aren't any games included, but I don't think an accessory pack is necessary at the beginning. I would definitely buy games over accessories. You can buy used ones at GameStop or you might check Craigslist. Sometimes Target clearances them and TRU has decent sales. There have been sporadic markdowns at Amazon on games as well. I guess it depends on her age as to what games she might want. The pricepoints vary quite a bit.

ETA: Our Target has quite a few DS games regularly priced at about $15. Our DS belongs to ME so the games I've tried might not interest your DD!

egoldber
12-08-2009, 10:43 AM
I would get her at least one game. Something inexpensive (Cooking Mama is $15 at Target and there are several others there for that price too) and then maybe a GameStop gift card.

wendmatt
12-08-2009, 11:02 AM
Thanks, I figured it would come with something on it like the leapster. They really know how to make money don't they! I will look for the cooking mama, that's the one Sarah likes isn't it Beth? I like to read your posts (I went back and read all the old DS posts) as Emily (7 a few weeks ago) is similar to Sarah and close in age.

egoldber
12-08-2009, 11:04 AM
Cooking Mama seems to be very popular with girls in the 7-10 age range. :) You can look for it used at gameStop, but it probably isn't any cheaper than $15.

Sarah also really likes the American Girl Julie game.