PDA

View Full Version : Recs for luggage container for minivan?

elbenn
12-08-2009, 12:36 PM
I need recommendations for a good luggage container for the top of a minivan. Also, I would love any recommendations for cargo nets, etc. I need to maximize our cargo space. Thanks!

MamaKath
12-10-2009, 10:10 PM
We are looking for a new one also. We have a soft roof top carrier that is okay, but not great. We use it especially for trips where we are likely to come back with a lot more than what we left with (Christmas family visits, etc). I know I have looked at (not purchased though) Cargo nets and such at this site... http://www.cargogear.com/Nets/CargoNets.htm They have some neat ones. Can't wait to hear what others might recommend.

egoldber
12-11-2009, 08:37 AM
We just bought a Yakima Rocketbox. You may or may not also need racks depending on your vehicle, some come with them. We bought Thule racks because they were a betetr deal. So you can mix and match racks and boxes if you need to. The Rocketbox is easy to install and use.

You do need to decide on a basic shape of the box. Some are long and not very tall. We decided that we wanted shorter and taller to more easily hold suitcases, etc. Plus I have a wagon, not a van, and was limited on length anyway.

REI periodically has great sales on these. That's where we got ours.

MamaKath
12-29-2009, 04:57 AM
I need recommendations for a good luggage container for the top of a minivan. Also, I would love any recommendations for cargo nets, etc. I need to maximize our cargo space. Thanks!
I don't know if you are still looking or not, but I figured I would update with my experiences. :)

We already had a roof rack. In the past we purchased and therefore still have a soft roof top carrier. I have not been thrilled with it; it has not been weather proof and is a real pain to deal with getting on, taking it off at your destination and then having to put it back on for return. It works well if you only need it one way in good weather.

We ended up finding one of the hard clamshell ones in our local Sears. It was about $120 and was the ony one we could get without ordering. It came disassembled (more $$$ ones came assembled for double + prices and needed to be ordered). It was not difficult to put together... for my friends dh who is an engineer. ;) (Normally my dh would have easily put it together, he is recovering from surgery.) This did mean we had to carry it home inside the vehice unassembled.

Once together we realized they had not sold us the attachment kit and no Sears near us had it in stock. We were able to purchase U bolts that worked well at the local hardware store. It was not super easy to put on, especially in a blizzard. We did get it on tight! We used it for our suitcases and packed everything in large trash drum liners first. Loading it is difficult due to the height on top of a van. We have needed the help of a ladder to load it, though we could have stood on the side of the van and done it with more difficulty. DH is tall and the side of the van option would definitely work better for him.

It has fared well on our trip. It can not easily be taken off and then reinstalled the way we have it on there so it stays on looking completely dorky! It has allowed us to test it in a variety of weather and it has remained weather proof in blizzards and also driving downpours. It has stayed completely dry inside as long as it isn't opened. We opened during dry weather and it was completely dry inside. Being on top does concern us a bit for safety, but no one has tried to break into it as of now. It does have key locks.

All in all we are very happy with our purchase and would make it again! Hope you found a solution for your cargo!!! :)