PDA

View Full Version : Chicago snow, 3.5 year old, and newborn...Strollers?

Pebbles81
12-08-2009, 02:20 PM
I guess I am wondering if I will need a double stroller. I am leaning toward yes, however, when I check out the double strollers that would stand up to heavy snow, umm STICKER SHOCK!!
ie valco trimode double

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Ayleen

ellies mom
12-08-2009, 10:35 PM
I don't have the Valco Trimode Double but I've got the single and I love that stroller. It works great in the snow and the optional foot muff is super warm. I have the zip in sunshade in addition to the raincover and both work great to cut down on the wind.

I have to say that age gap makes it hard because really, you'll only need the double for 1-1.5 years, unless you are planning on having another but you could sell it or if you do have another, it will come in handy then as well.

Katigre
12-09-2009, 05:11 PM
At 3.5 years old you don't need a double stroller unless you're walking 1-2 miles a day.

arivecchi
12-09-2009, 05:19 PM
I have a single Valco and a Baby Jogger City Classic Double and live in Chicago (in the city per se). My oldest is 3 and the youngest is 10 months. We use our double on a daily basis. I think in the city you use strollers longer because you walk a lot more and you need your kids restrained lest they dart in front of a car or bike. I would have gotten the Valco Twin Trimode but it is oh so pricey. My single Valco Trimode rocks even when there is tons of snow. The BJCCD is good in the snow too, but would not be able to handle as much snow as the Valco IMO. We have two Valco footmuffs for the kids and use the rain cover with the footmuffs when it is really cold and windy. They are super warm in there. When DS2 was a newborn, we had him on the fully reclined seat with a snuzzler. IMO, you would get lots of use out of a double. There is no way I would ever be able to run errands, go to the zoo, classes, the park, etc, without it in the city.

boltfam
12-09-2009, 06:11 PM
OP, I was just looking on CL in Chicago since that is the closest big city to me. No one in my city pays for nice strollers, probably b/c we don't walk as much. There is a Valco Tri-mode double for $450.

strollerqueen
12-10-2009, 04:28 AM
I have a single Valco and a Baby Jogger City Classic Double and live in Chicago (in the city per se). My oldest is 3 and the youngest is 10 months. We use our double on a daily basis. I think in the city you use strollers longer because you walk a lot more and you need your kids restrained lest they dart in front of a car or bike. I would have gotten the Valco Twin Trimode but it is oh so pricey. My single Valco Trimode rocks even when there is tons of snow. The BJCCD is good in the snow too, but would not be able to handle as much snow as the Valco IMO. We have two Valco footmuffs for the kids and use the rain cover with the footmuffs when it is really cold and windy. They are super warm in there. When DS2 was a newborn, we had him on the fully reclined seat with a snuzzler. IMO, you would get lots of use out of a double. There is no way I would ever be able to run errands, go to the zoo, classes, the park, etc, without it in the city.

:yeahthat:

jacksmoma
12-10-2009, 01:16 PM
i live in the so. cal suburbs so my double doesn't get used a ton for my 2 year old and 6 month old but if we were doing city walking we'd use it a TON! i would thing you'd need a good heavy duty air tire double for city life...a valco, baby jogger or bob!