PDA

View Full Version : Seat for 5 yr. old

TLC1994
12-08-2009, 02:39 PM
My DD is 5 yrs. old (41 lbs./41 in.) and has been in a MA since she was out of the infant seat. Well, she is REALLY complaining about it lately - mainly because nearly every other kid that we know in her age group has a booster seat. She also says that she feels cramped in it, although she's not a big kid by any means. Plus now that we have winter coats, I'm sure it's extra tight. I'm sure everyone will say to take her coat off, but honestly - that's just not always realistic.

We will let her ride in her older sister's HB booster from time to time and she does sit well in it. But I'm not completely convinced to switch her to a HB booster full-time just yet. She also sits in a HB booster in Grandma's car 3 days/week coming home from school (a few miles).

We also do a lot of switching around of car seats from my car to my husbands or to a sitter's/friend's car. Obviously the MA is a BIG seat to carry around and install/uninstall over and over.

I'm just trying to find out if there is some other alternative for her. We drive a small car, so I'd prefer a seat that isn't too big & wide. And, like most people, money is tight so I don't know if I can afford another Britax right now. The HB booster we have now is a Graco Turbobooster.

I know I shouldn't cave to peer pressure just because she complains about the seat, but it does wear on me day after day after day...

I need some suggestions, please!

AnnieW625
12-08-2009, 03:07 PM
What about a Graco Nautilus? It's about $150 online and at most stores and it looks more like a booster than a car seat.

jjordan
12-08-2009, 04:03 PM
I hate to tell you, but there isn't a seat out there that fits all of your wish list! If you want a harnessed seat for a 5 year old, it is going to be big and heavy (bigger than a marathon). The Safeguard Go may be an exception; I don't know that much about it, but from what I've heard it is good as a travel seat but not the best choice for an every day seat.

Really if you want a seat that is lighter and easier to move around, you're more likely to find that in a high back booster. She sure is small though, and not very old... if she were mine I'd probably want to keep her harnessed a while longer.

Do you have younger children to pass seats down to? If so you might consider a Radian. They are heavy but narrow, and they have a low profile, which makes them look more like big kid seats than the Britax convertibles. It will probably keep her harnessed a while longer, until she really is ready for a high back booster full time.

Fairy
12-08-2009, 04:19 PM
Nautilus or a Britax Frontier (which becomes a booster). I don't know much about Nautilus, but honestly, the Frontier looks very boostery if your DD is having social anxiety about it. I just ordered my Frontier on Cyber Monday; can't wait to get it!

golden
12-08-2009, 04:29 PM
Nautilus or a Britax Frontier (which becomes a booster). I don't know much about Nautilus, but honestly, the Frontier looks very boostery if your DD is having social anxiety about it. I just ordered my Frontier on Cyber Monday; can't wait to get it!

just wondering, how much did you get your frontier for and where online? :bouncy: thanks!

Fairy
12-08-2009, 05:02 PM
just wondering, how much did you get your frontier for and where online? :bouncy: thanks!

I ordered online at BRU. But there's a whole story there, as it was on Cybermonday. Here's the thread all about it --> http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=343083&highlight=frontier%2C

PM = Price Match
SA = Sales Associate
BBB = Bed Bath & Beyond or Buy Buy Baby. I think.

I signed up for eBates at www.ebates.com and clicked the BRU link there to get 3% cash back, plus I used google checkout (an option when you check out apaprently), and got 10 bucks off that way,too. Good luck!

mecawa
12-08-2009, 05:06 PM
DD1 is 5 and we have her in a Britax Frontier in my car and I'm about to buy a Graco Nautilus for her for DH's car. I thought those were the best two seats for that age group, they can be harnessed and then you can use it as a high back booster as you become more comfortable with it.

Joolsplus2
12-08-2009, 07:32 PM
Try the Nautilus for ease of installation, but honestly? I find the harness to be at least as cramped as the Marathon, and don't see you getting much extra comfort space (crotch depth is similar, shoulder area is fairly narrow, and the adjuster strap length is ridiculously short for some kids for some reason). Maybe an Apex? It's bulky, but quite lightweight and easy to install. Or compromise with a Parkway SG that has a crotch strap to hold the lapbelt down, but it's a good booster with substantial side impact protection that's also easy to move from car to car.
Be sure you have the screws holding the armrests in your current Turbo booster, if not, call Graco and get some, they are a necessary but often-overlooked part of assembling the seat so it's safe. :)

bubbaray
12-08-2009, 11:09 PM
I'd consider a booster like the Monterey or Parkway.