PDA

View Full Version : Medela Freestyle Pumping/Storage Questions

becca_g
12-08-2009, 08:34 PM
I used the Medela Freestyle pump for the first time today. The bottle nipple that came with the pump kit allows milk to flow way too fast for DS.

1) Any suggestions for slow flow bottles/nipples that are compatible with the Freestyle pump (or a different ring/nipple that could be used with the Medela bottles that came with the kit) and would be appropriate for an EBF infant?

2) I am planning to freeze large amounts of milk for when I return to work (requires frequent overnight travel) and will most likely pump into bottles, transfer to storage bags for freezing, and then transfer back to bottles. Are there any better alternatives for pumping/freezing/feeding that would require less steps?

3) Also, does anyone know if the Playtex Breast Milk Storage Kit (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2969614&CAWELAID=146160920) is compatible with the Freestyle pump? This kit sounds as if it is most appropriate for refrigerating milk--which I also plan to do--or storing small amounts of frozen milk.

Thanks!

becca_g
12-10-2009, 07:17 PM
Bump ... any suggestions for slow flow nipples/bottles that are compatible with the Medela Freestyle pump?

Thanks!

truly scrumptious
12-10-2009, 08:17 PM
2) I am planning to freeze large amounts of milk for when I return to work (requires frequent overnight travel) and will most likely pump into bottles, transfer to storage bags for freezing, and then transfer back to bottles. Are there any better alternatives for pumping/freezing/feeding that would require less steps?

This is what I did for DS. It was a lot of steps but for the most part his milk intake was more than the Medela bottles held, so I would have had to transfer to his regular bottles anyway.
I never pumped directly into bags, but I have read some people on this board who used their Pump-in-style to pump into bags. I know that the bottle screw-on part of the Pump-in-style is the same as the Freestyle (I used my freestyle with PIS bottles, too) so any bags that work for the PIS should work for the FS.
HTH!

GracieCat
12-10-2009, 09:08 PM
I have the Freestyle too. The Medela bags specifically state not for use with the Freestyle. I don't know if they make Freestyle bags. I pump and pour into the Lansinoh bags which are really good. We use the Playtex drop ins and Born Free which seem slow flow. I just saw adapters for the Born Free bottles to use with pumps. I don't like all the straps with the Freestyle and use hair elastics just fine (see kellymom). Cheap Gerber bottles also fit so you could use the big bottles if you need more volume. Good luck!

MrsMcGwire
12-10-2009, 09:12 PM
I have the Medela PISA and I used the Playtex Breast Milk Storage kit with it. I pumped right into the playtex disposable bottles using the adapters that came with the kit. I did use it just for refrigeration and used the Lansinol freezer bags for freezing.

TwoBees
12-11-2009, 09:24 AM
This is what I did for DS. It was a lot of steps but for the most part his milk intake was more than the Medela bottles held, so I would have had to transfer to his regular bottles anyway.
I never pumped directly into bags, but I have read some people on this board who used their Pump-in-style to pump into bags. I know that the bottle screw-on part of the Pump-in-style is the same as the Freestyle (I used my freestyle with PIS bottles, too) so any bags that work for the PIS should work for the FS.
HTH!
Haven't BTDT (I have a hospital-grade rental and the PISA), but if this is correct, than the Playtex adaptors should work.

dna_gal
12-11-2009, 01:06 PM
I also have a FreeStyle. I was able to buy larger volume Medela bottles (hold 9+ ounces) at Target. I don't use them for feeding but for pumping, since in my first am pumping session I tend to get more than the small bottles will hold. Can't help with bottle nipple selection, I use the Sassy MAM orthodontic nipples which have a fairly fast flow I think, which worked for us since my LO was so used to my crazy fast letdown.

bluestar
12-26-2009, 08:37 PM
I have a medela freestyle as well. I find the straps hard to use and when I don't position well the milk will drip outside and wet my pants as I pump. Any one has suggestions on this? I wonder if a breast pump bra would make the set up of each pumping easy.

I use the playtex drop in bottles which I found has the slowest rate within all bottles I've tried.

For storage bag, lansinoh bags are good to use. I go thru the same steps as you do. I just got a born free adaptor to see if I can pump directly into the bottles. But this way I need to get lots of bottles since I plan to bring these to work in Jan.