PDA

View Full Version : Will Constipation Resolve Itself (Soy Formula)?

jenf
12-08-2009, 09:38 PM
At our pediatrician's suggestion, we switched our 10 week old daughter to soy formula - its working BEAUTIFULLY, and for the first time ever, our baby is sleeping normal amounts (her gastric issues with "regular' and "sensitive" formula kept her up and screaming all day and night - breastfeeding was our preference, however turned out to be not an option, after many atempts and consultations with our pediatrician and lactation consultant). However, our pediatrician did warn that our daughter could get constipated on the soy formula, which has happened - we're working with the doctor on the standard remedies (water, suppository, etc.), but I was wondering if anyone else's kids had had this same issue, and whether it resolved itself over time as they adjusted to the formula, and bowel movements returned to normal, or whether it was an ongoing issue for the entire time they were on the soy? The doctor said it could go either way, so was just curious to see what others had experienced!

cvanbrunt
12-12-2009, 02:53 PM
My first daughter was on soy. The constipation went away on its own. Do you know the thermometer trick? Just put a thermometer in her little hiney when you change her diaper and that often will loosen things up right away. We did that when she hadn't pooped for a while and she pooped almost immediately.

JBaxter
12-12-2009, 05:59 PM
No it didnt. It go worse and I ended up using gylcrin suppositories. The Similac Sensitive ( lactose free) it what we ended up on with Jack Consipation issues went away as did the gas issues.

maydaymommy
12-15-2009, 08:19 PM
DS1 was on soy formula and though he was not forever constipated, his stools remained as hard balls until he was a year and did regular milk again.

At 4 months when we were to introduce solids the ped said to give him prunes as his 1st food due to the constipation from the soy.