PDA

View Full Version : Need urgent freecycle advice..

Globetrotter
12-08-2009, 10:28 PM
I am giving away three new shirts that someone gave (never really fit me) and got a lot of interest. I agreed to give them to somone who later told me she is disabled and must take paratransit to get the stuff then wait around my house for an hour before taking another taxi home (I am assuming, per her email). This seems weird to me... It's not that I don't believe her, but isn't it odd for someone to hang out for an hour outside my house?? I'm not sure what to do. Frankly, I don't think these particular shirts are worth the hassle, and I will tell her so. OTOH, I don't want to make her life harder if she is disabled and having trouble getting around!! ugh

How would you handle this?

ETA: She just emailed to tell me she can't come until Thursday PM, and I wrote in my initial post that I needed them out by Thursday AM - she asked if this is okay. Would it be awful of me to tell her that is too late?

kristenk
12-08-2009, 10:31 PM
Are you truly giving them away or is she buying them?

If I were giving them away, I'd be tempted to put them in a polymailer and drop them in the mail. Shipping shouldn't cost much at all and it seems like it would save a lot of hassle for both of you. (I'd feel guilty making someone hang out outside my house, but I'd feel weird and very uncomfortable letting them hang out *in* my house for an hour.)

ShanaMama
This is why I don't Craigslist or Freecycle. I'm paranoid about having complete strangers coming to my house. Sure, she can be totally innocent and sincere. Or not.
I would be uncomfortable having her around my house for an hour.
Perhaps you can suggest meeting at a public place that you both frequent? Suggest it as a way to save her the hassle.

mom2binsd
Can the taxi/paratranspo not wait the 45 seconds it will take to give her the shirts??? Maybe ask her if that's possible, it would seem strange for her to have to stand around on the street for an hour (and I"m assuming you don't want to invite a stranger into your home).

Do you think she's hoping you'll offer to drop them off to her???

carolinamama
12-08-2009, 10:32 PM
Is there somewhere else that you can meet to give them to her that may be convenient for both of you? I don't know what else to suggest as the hassle does seem like alot for 3 shirts.

Globetrotter
12-08-2009, 10:43 PM
They are free to her. I will be very busy around that time and may be going in and out of the house, but regardless there is no way I'm having a stranger hang out IN my house so she would have to wait outside in the cold, which is just as bad! this is so weird - they always just pick up and go and I rarely see anybody! it's definitely not worth the hassle for her or for me.

Frankly, it's not worth my time to drop them off somewhere or meet her to do it. I think she might be hoping I will drop it off, but that's not happening. This is the first time I've dealt with something like this. UGH

ThreeofUs
12-08-2009, 11:01 PM
Honestly, this sounds like what friends of mine who are developmentally disabled go through all the time. Just getting around town is *extremely* difficult for them.

That said, you do sound extremely busy. Can you leave them somewhere for her? Like on a porch or something?

TwinFoxes
12-08-2009, 11:04 PM
Can the taxi/paratranspo not wait the 45 seconds it will take to give her the shirts??? Maybe ask her if that's possible, it would seem strange for her to have to stand around on the street for an hour (and I"m assuming you don't want to invite a stranger into your home).

It does seem weird that she can't tell the taxi to wait for :30 to get the package (but then again, I'm not familiar with the service). Ugh, I feel your pain. I understand not wanting some random person hanging out in our your house, but hanging around outside isn't much better. I say, just be frank, and say you're not comfortable with that, and suggest the taxi waiting idea.

MommyAllison
12-08-2009, 11:10 PM
I hate when Freecycle stuff gets complicated. Would you be willing to run it out to the taxi when it pulls up, so that she can just stay in the taxi rather than waiting for the next one? Otherwise, if it's too much of a hassle, I'd say Sorry, I do need them picked up by Thurs AM and offer to the next person.

blisstwins
12-08-2009, 11:24 PM
If she is willing to go through that much trouble for a few shirts I would take the opportunity at this time of year to go for the karma and just mail them to her. If she says no than move on, but it will only cost a few dollars and it will be a good deed.

gatorsmom
12-08-2009, 11:27 PM
If it were me, I'd ask her where is a more convenient place for her to get to and then ask if I can just meet her there with the stuff. Not only would that probably be easier for her, but then you don't have to worry about strangers casing your house.

SnuggleBuggles
12-08-2009, 11:32 PM
If she is willing to go through that much trouble for a few shirts I would take the opportunity at this time of year to go for the karma and just mail them to her. If she says no than move on, but it will only cost a few dollars and it will be a good deed.

:yeahthat:
And ITA with the other advice about meeting somewhere to do the hand off. It sounds like you will be out and about anyway so I would do what you can to make it happen. It could really brighten her day and probably could be done fairly easily on your end.

Beth

ha98ed14
12-09-2009, 12:43 AM

:yeahthat: Think of it as a holiday gift to someone less fortunate!

DrSally
12-09-2009, 12:59 AM
Does she live really close. If she lives in the same town, I personally would consider dropping them off.

ETA: It does seem strange that the taxi/van can't wait 2 min while you do the handoff. If they can't do that, I like pp's suggestions of meeting somewhere, like a mall or book store when it's convenient for you. Then, she can wait in a warm place for her transit.

baileygirl
12-09-2009, 02:45 AM
That is weird! I wouldn't want someone hanging outside or inside my house for an hour. I would probably offer to mail the shirts, just to not have to deal with it. Plus I would feel bad for someone going to all of that work to get them, if the story is true.

wellyes
12-09-2009, 04:35 AM
Personally I'd tell her that she is welcome to the stuff however she is able to pick it up. I would not deliver freecycle or spend my own money to mail it.

I don't really understand the story (how is taking a taxi round-trip cheaper than just buying 3 shirts?) but I do like to give people the benefit of the doubt. In the spirit of that, I'll say that if you're already comfortable having someone know your address & come to your house, I don't see why it matters if she's out front for an hour.

ETA: She just emailed to tell me she can't come until Thursday PM, and I wrote in my initial post that I needed them out by Thursday AM - she asked if this is okay. Would it be awful of me to tell her that is too late?No. It would not be awful of you. I'd tell her that you need them out earlier and have other people who requested the items. Go to the next person on the list. If it doesn't work out with any of the other requestors, then go back to her & her late pickup. I think that's the fairest option.

Globetrotter
12-10-2009, 02:14 AM
Thanks, ladies. I must be a lot more cynical than most of you because my first thought was some sort of scam! I've had a few email exchanges with her and she does sound earnest, in which case I feel bad for her. I can't bear the thought of her waiting outside my house for an hour in the cold, so I have offered to mail them and asked for her address. She lives in another city with some very good but many questionable neighborhoods (well, I'm also not familiar with the area anymore) so I would rather not venture there. I used to do all that when I was working but I would rather avoid it at this point.

Thanks for talking me through this!

DebbieJ
12-10-2009, 12:16 PM
I would just mail them if she's willing to give you an address.

ha98ed14
12-10-2009, 12:36 PM
Well done.

alien_host
12-10-2009, 02:18 PM
I think it's nice of you to go the extra mile.

I have given stuff away via freecycle but I've just responded to those who post wanted items and if I have it and don't need it I offer to drop it off if they are in the area. I'd rather drop off/meet in a public place than give out my address to strangers. I totally understand it's a hassle to deliver so mailing them is a nice option.

I have done CL and am very skeptical of giving out my address.