PDA

View Full Version : Any inexpensive mp3 players for kids?

JenaW
12-09-2009, 09:27 AM
I saw this at JCP for $19.99

http://tinyurl.com/y9jd6sm

Of course I waited too long and they are now all OOS. I need something small, easy to use, and relatively inexpensive, as I would like to get 4. Any ideas?

TIA

vmcorno
12-09-2009, 09:44 AM
We have the the Sansa Shakers for DS and DD1 (age 5 and 3) and they work great, have been dropped many times and still work great. I got them last summer on Amazon for 19.99 each, but I saw that they are on sale for 9.99 in the TRU ad that came yesterday. I think it was a Wednesday only sale, but I threw out the ad already so I'd check your ad to be sure

ohiomom1121
12-09-2009, 10:09 AM
We have the the Sansa Shakers for DS and DD1 (age 5 and 3) and they work great, have been dropped many times and still work great. I got them last summer on Amazon for 19.99 each, but I saw that they are on sale for 9.99 in the TRU ad that came yesterday. I think it was a Wednesday only sale, but I threw out the ad already so I'd check your ad to be sure
I've been looking for a deal on these! If anyone has that ad can you verify it's today? I didn't get the ad!!!
ETA: I just called the store and it is the sale today. Off to TRU!

kellybelly0513
12-09-2009, 10:44 AM
I second the sansa shaker. It is easy to use for younger kids, good for a little older too. The TRU sale is today only. You can see the ad on the website.

JenaW
12-09-2009, 10:59 AM
TY TY!! I am on hold with TRU right now to see if they have any in stock. Can anyone who actually has them and has used them comment on their hardiness and battery life? The reviews say they eat AAA batteries. Someone said she had to change the battery daily? I am guessing maybe they left it on?? That seems a bit excessive. The JCP one has a USB cable to download the songs and charge it, so it doesn't use batteries at all. Also, approx how many songs does it hold?

Great! TRU has them. I am off to pick them up before my DDs OT session. At half the price of the JCP ones, I will gladly get one for each child.

I knew you guys would have some suggestions! Thanks

lnitti
12-09-2009, 11:09 AM
would you recommend this for a 2 and almost 6 year old? is the 2 year old too young?

abstonka
12-09-2009, 11:34 AM
FWIW, we have had good luck with the Barbie Girl player. I bought it on Amazon last year when it was really cheap, and my now 5-yr-old DD still loves it. I noticed the other day that Walgreens has them for $9.99 regular price. They come with several sizes of earbuds and interchangeable face plates. The battery is rechargeable through the USB. It is pretty durable---it has been dropped countless times. Hope this helps someone.

Twin Mom
12-09-2009, 11:47 AM
I haven't had any major issues with battery life maybe b/c my kids go through phases where they don't use it alot and then others where they do. I don't think the card it comes with holds a lot of music so we got a bigger one. I also paid $9.99 for mine and for that price you can't go wrong. I was coming to post the tru deal myself but should have known I'd be too slow. LOL.

TY TY!! I am on hold with TRU right now to see if they have any in stock. Can anyone who actually has them and has used them comment on their hardiness and battery life? The reviews say they eat AAA batteries. Someone said she had to change the battery daily? I am guessing maybe they left it on?? That seems a bit excessive. The JCP one has a USB cable to download the songs and charge it, so it doesn't use batteries at all. Also, approx how many songs does it hold?

Great! TRU has them. I am off to pick them up before my DDs OT session. At half the price of the JCP ones, I will gladly get one for each child.

I knew you guys would have some suggestions! Thanks

megulis
12-09-2009, 12:09 PM
I have the Sansa also. It is a very good first player.

For the older 6+ crowd, I would try the Sansa Connect. You can find it on ebay and Yugster often for about $30+. It has a speaker which is key for me. I'm giving one to my 6 yo son for Christmas. The WiFi portion is disabled which my son won't care about (although if you are computer savvy you will be able to get it working again.) If you have a Mac (I do), it is a hassle to upload song, photo, and videos but doable.

For the 1 - 2 yo crowd, I'd recommend this at TJMaxx for $30:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B002AKE8YC/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

maybeebaby08
12-09-2009, 12:35 PM
I was coming to post this deal too! I just got back from TRU and they had a bunch in stock, only blue color though.

ETA: I opened it and gave it to DD she is 18 months and loves it so far, she figured out to turn it on and off. To change the song with the band will take her a little longer though. Its cute and perfect for her little hands to carry around. Has BINGO, Wheels on the Bus, and a few other kids songs.

researchedout
12-09-2009, 12:40 PM
Thank you! Now I can cancel my order for the Sweetpea, which has been delayed for two months already (@!@#! sweetpea), and just buy a bunch of the sansas.

alexsmommy
12-09-2009, 12:57 PM
Thank you! It's been sitting in my Amazon cart ridiculously overpriced. I kept guessing it would come down one day for a price match but nothing. I avoid toys r us like the plague, but as soon as I saw this I ran out the door. In my store they weren't with the mp3 players, but in a big basket next to the electronics check out. Also the electronics check out was only two deep whereas the regular one was winding up the aisles.

ohiomom1121
12-09-2009, 01:01 PM
My store had all blue too. Has anyone seen pink? I'd love to have different colors to *help* prevent the kids fighting over them! If not I'll have to figure out some way to label them. Thanks for posting this...so glad to get them! I bought DD a mix stick last year and it was total junk.

lil_acorn
12-09-2009, 01:03 PM
my TRU was already sold out :-(

Babymakes3
12-09-2009, 01:17 PM
Woot has a refurb Sansa Clip for 9.99 up right now!

megulis
12-09-2009, 02:33 PM
The problem I have with the Sansa for young kids is they tend to drop it a bunch. Also, the battery is accessible easily even for kids over 3. My kids still used it, but just beware!

JenaW
12-09-2009, 03:01 PM
My store had all blue too. Has anyone seen pink? I'd love to have different colors to *help* prevent the kids fighting over them! If not I'll have to figure out some way to label them. Thanks for posting this...so glad to get them! I bought DD a mix stick last year and it was total junk.

I just picked up 4 at TRU. Didn't look too closely at them, btu I think I read online that they include stickers so you can personalize them. If not, my kids each have a sheet of large initial stickers, so we may do that, since ours are all blue too. I will definitely be giving one to my 3 and 4 yos. Not sure about my 5 and 6 yo yet. DH thinks they are ready for something a bit nicer. We'll see what we can find in a similar price range. I figured they would be nice gifts for a younger child on our church mitten tree. Thanks again!

iaam
12-09-2009, 03:07 PM
I just picked up 4 at TRU. Didn't look too closely at them, btu I think I read online that they include stickers so you can personalize them. If not, my kids each have a sheet of large initial stickers, so we may do that, since ours are all blue too. I will definitely be giving one to my 3 and 4 yos. Not sure about my 5 and 6 yo yet. DH thinks they are ready for something a bit nicer. We'll see what we can find in a similar price range. I figured they would be nice gifts for a younger child on our church mitten tree. Thanks again!

They do come with stickers - DS has had one for a few months now. He is almost 2 and loves his listening to music on this player. So far it has held up very well to all the abuse - dropping/chewing/constantly turning it on and off!

jerigirl
12-09-2009, 04:09 PM
Ooh. good use of my $10 gc from the game deal before thanksgiving. Now off to TRU to see if they have them. (They don't seem to be answering the phone to call ahead and confirm :()

ETA: BOOO! out of stock when i got there. oh well. good excuse to get out of the house today.

cairo06
12-09-2009, 04:24 PM

Thanks so much for posting about this. I've had this in my Amazon cart for the longest time waiting for a price drop. I'm overseas so I called several relatives to ask someone to pick one up for me - everyone is too busy. I called my sister (who doesn't have a TRU in her town), but she is on a trip and is going to pick one up for me. I love my sister :love5: . She can't pass up a good deal either!

greentea
12-09-2009, 06:14 PM
Disney Mix Stick 1GB MP3 Player
$6.99 +$5 shipping at http://www.woot.com/