PDA

View Full Version : Snowed in! What to do?

ourbabygirl
12-09-2009, 11:23 AM
Hey SAHMs,

What do you do with your kid(s) all day when it's too snowy out to go and run errands/ take them for an outing/ just get out of the house? DH is on a business trip, we're on day 2 of a snowstorm here, and I'm going a little stir crazy with DD. She's 1 so there's only so much we can do inside- playing w/toys, reading, eating, etc.
Can you share what you do with your kids all day? Especially when the weather's too bad to drive or even go for a stroller walk?

Thanks! :)

Happy 2B mommy
12-09-2009, 11:25 AM
do you have ingredients for baking cookies? That's what we are doing today.

bubbaray
12-09-2009, 11:31 AM
We've been snowed in (with very little snow -- you'd be surprised how little snow it takes to shut down our city completely) but never housebound. Take the kids out to make snowmen, go sledding, etc. DD#1 rode in the sled when she was about 8m old.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
12-09-2009, 11:43 AM
Why make snow ice cream (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/snow-ice-cream-recipe/index.html)of course!

Do you have stuff to make snowcastles?

cmo
12-09-2009, 11:47 AM
I get out a king-size blanket, drape it over a couple of dining room chairs, and voila! Instant fort. I'd probably end up with a kid-friendly movie after lunch, too. :-)

Tondi G
12-09-2009, 12:43 PM
if you have some craft supplies you could go to this website and find something to do with your kiddo

www.notimeforflashcards.com

bake cookies or muffins, let them take a nice long bubble bath and play in the water, watch movies and make popcorn, make a fort in the living room

lmwbasye
12-09-2009, 12:48 PM
We are on our 2nd snow day as well....we have made a fort of blankets, pulled out some DVDs, baked some cookies, and just finished playing with a rice table (large tupperware filled with rice and various small toys inside...add some spoons, measuring cups, etc.). Other ideas I'm having that we may do are bring some snow inside in a large tupperware for them to play with, bringing out markers (almost never happens in this house), finger painting on their plastic table with pudding, scavenger hunt, snowball fight with balled up pieces of paper as snowballs, etc.

It's tough, for sure, keeping little ones entertained all day when they're cooped up. :)

lmwbasye
12-09-2009, 12:50 PM
Oh, and I forgot a key one for us in desperate times....you tube and/or totlol....my kiddos will watch little videos of funny animals, stories, etc. for quite some time.

bubbaray
12-09-2009, 01:32 PM
Oh, and I forgot a key one for us in desperate times....you tube and/or totlol....my kiddos will watch little videos of funny animals, stories, etc. for quite some time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H59Py7KApU

My kids will watch this for HOURS. If they get bored with the French, there are plenty of other languages. It isn't quite as funny in English, BTW.

Fairy
12-09-2009, 01:38 PM
at age one, I didn't do TV or videos for DS. However, if I were on day 2 of cabin fever, I might give it a try. Specifically, go to sesamestreet.com and do some of their video clips and games. Their games are really great. Of course, YOU are doing the games, but I'll bet DD will be completely enthralled till naptime ...

ETA -- I also did alot of puppet shows with the stuffed animals, doing different voices, singing songs. I ran out of material after a while, so I'd have the stuffed animals sing every single camp song I could remember. When I ran out of those, it was on to schoohouse rock songs. Lyrics are online if you need them. Huge hit.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
12-09-2009, 01:51 PM
I also turn on the 80's station on our digital cable and dance my @$$ off! DD loves it, but we do it everyday, really. :bag

srhs
12-09-2009, 01:55 PM
We're on showing #2 of Polar Express. :bag

Cam&Clay
12-09-2009, 02:26 PM
Once when I was snowed in for a week with DS1 when he was about 4, I made up a treasure hunt overnight. The next morning, he had a "clue" of where to go next and waiting for him in that spot was a small present (aka hot wheels car) and the clue for where to go next. He is 11, and still talks about the great game we played during that blizzard!

Nooknookmom
12-09-2009, 02:41 PM
I also turn on the 80's station on our digital cable and dance my @$$ off! DD loves it, but we do it everyday, really. :bag

:yeahthat:

Um, I have done the same thing w/ both DD's. Thought I was "alone" in my shame, lol.

DD2 tells me to "stop dancing and singing Mommy" - I must really SUCK for a 2 yo to be so adamant about it!!!

Jen841
12-09-2009, 02:49 PM
I have fond memories of my Mom letting us take over the living room and make a city with our Little People sets. I also remember going crazy with poster paints. Any normally forbidden activity/play space is fun!!!

My kids love upside down days when I serve breakfast for dinner, or play restaurant and let them order their meal.

Memories!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
12-09-2009, 03:27 PM
:yeahthat:

Um, I have done the same thing w/ both DD's. Thought I was "alone" in my shame, lol.

DD2 tells me to "stop dancing and singing Mommy" - I must really SUCK for a 2 yo to be so adamant about it!!!

DD, loves to sing "more, more, more" from Billy Idol's Rebel Yell....We saw a band perform it one night in Park City, and she loves the 80's! She tells me to stop singing, too. Must be a control issue, my shower never complains!:ROTFLMAO:

WatchingThemGrow
12-09-2009, 04:44 PM
I have fond memories of my Mom letting us take over the living room and make a city with our Little People sets. I also remember going crazy with poster paints. Any normally forbidden activity/play space is fun!!!

My kids love upside down days when I serve breakfast for dinner, or play restaurant and let them order their meal.

Memories!
DH and I did this during a (little) snowstorm last year. DD (only one old enough to notice) was ecstatic about it!
An extra long bathtime can be good, too.
Skyping with relatives is always fun when you're stuck inside.