PDA

View Full Version : Single mom survival kit

alexsmommy
12-09-2009, 01:14 PM
One of my good friends jerk of husband has officially left her. She has two young boys. I want to give her a gift to let her know how much we all love and support her. I was thinking a "Single Mom Survival Kit." Please help me think of ideas to put in it. Thus far I'm thinking Starbucks giftcard (huge addict like the rest of our group), good bottle of wine, and chocolate. Suggestions?
TIA

Ceepa
12-09-2009, 01:40 PM
Pass or tickets for something fun for her and the boys to do together? Offers to babysit? A small box of distractions for the boys when she just needs some downtime (DVDs, matchbox cars, ColorWonder kits, lollipops ;) , Duplo blocks). Gift card to Target?

lizzywednesday
12-09-2009, 01:43 PM
* Voodoo Lou's Voodoo kit:

http://www.amazon.com/Voodoo-Kit-Lou-Harry/dp/076240051X

(Incidentally, I've met the author. Nice guy; married. Ill wife. Lives in Indiana, but originally from Wildwood, NJ. No joke.)

* Gift Certificate to Cardio Kickboxing class (Cardio Kickboxing is a LOT of fun & you work out a lot of aggression; there are a lot of similar classes) or Cardio Kickboxing videos <- Because, really, you want to do something constructive with your anger. Besides drink wine & eat chocolate.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
12-09-2009, 01:48 PM
A Cosabella thong! :yay: If you are wearing sexy panties, it makes you feel more confident!

alexsmommy
12-09-2009, 02:19 PM
A Cosabella thong! :yay: If you are wearing sexy panties, it makes you feel more confident!

Oh - she'd love that - thanks!

alexsmommy
12-09-2009, 02:21 PM
* Voodoo Lou's Voodoo kit:

http://www.amazon.com/Voodoo-Kit-Lou-Harry/dp/076240051X

(Incidentally, I've met the author. Nice guy; married. Ill wife. Lives in Indiana, but originally from Wildwood, NJ. No joke.)

* Gift Certificate to Cardio Kickboxing class (Cardio Kickboxing is a LOT of fun & you work out a lot of aggression; there are a lot of similar classes) or Cardio Kickboxing videos <- Because, really, you want to do something constructive with your anger. Besides drink wine & eat chocolate.

That's hilarious!

alexsmommy
12-09-2009, 02:22 PM
Great ideas ladies!

lellolicious
12-09-2009, 02:35 PM
Perhaps one of those all-pink toolboxes? I see deals on them on Amazon all the time.

Jen841
12-09-2009, 02:46 PM
I second that. Lillian Vernon used to sell them.

There is a Girl's Fix It Guide. I bought it for my friend years ago. Any basic home repair kit, tools, duct tape and super glue should handle most things... maybe a plunger too.

I would offer to help with the kids. I have gotten spoiled that I like some one on one time with each of my kids, that would be hard to do as a single parent.

Sincerely offer to help with drop offs/ pick ups, etc. and child exchanges with she and her spouse. My friend's Mom did the exchanges to make things easier for all parties involved. The kids loved some Grandma time b/4 and after. The court was happy with it too since the situation was just explosive when the parents were together.

Offer to watch the kids so she can get counseling if she wants it, may need for legal appts too.

cchavez
12-09-2009, 03:30 PM
Watching this thread w/ interest...I have a good friend that is going through a divorce....her kids are older and do not live near me so I can't really help her out but would love to send her a gift.

alexsmommy
12-09-2009, 03:34 PM
I would offer to help with the kids. I have gotten spoiled that I like some one on one time with each of my kids, that would be hard to do as a single parent.

Sincerely offer to help with drop offs/ pick ups, etc. and child exchanges with she and her spouse. My friend's Mom did the exchanges to make things easier for all parties involved. The kids loved some Grandma time b/4 and after. The court was happy with it too since the situation was just explosive when the parents were together.

Offer to watch the kids so she can get counseling if she wants it, may need for legal appts too.

Unfortunately, she's 45 minutes away and works a similar schedule to me, so I can't personally help except on weekends. Believe me, we've all offered to take the boys whenever we can. Her boys are close in age to mine so it's pretty easy to seamlessly fit them into our day.
She's a fellow therapist so she's been all over counseling and good and protecting that time for herself. I do wish lived closer to her to help with those other types of things.

lizzywednesday
12-09-2009, 03:46 PM
Perhaps one of those all-pink toolboxes? I see deals on them on Amazon all the time.

There's a company out there called Tomboy Tools; I have a friend who is a consultant in the Saratoga NY area.

Their tools are all pink, but nicely made. They are national sponsors of the breast cancer 2-day walk I participate in every year.

If the "fix-it-herself" book you're talking about is the one with Rosie the Riveter on the cover, I have it and it's great.

ETA: It's called Dare to Repair and is available through Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Dare-Repair-Do-Herself-Anything/dp/0060959843/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260388658&sr=1-6