PDA

View Full Version : Parent-Teacher conference today -- what to discuss?

bubbaray
12-09-2009, 02:19 PM
Going to our first "real" PT conference today. There was one in September at the start of week 2, which was more giving info about medical stuff, any learning concerns, etc.. Teacher went over her "folder" system for sending stuff home, etc.

So, today is our PT conference. It is optional, but I thought I'd better show interest, so booked one. DD#1 got her first real (not interim) report card last Friday, everything is grade appropriate (not needs work, not excellent), except for one thing was excellent -- her desire to learn French (French Immersion kindy). My type A is "WTF, why isn't she excellent in all areas" BUT I'm actually happy she's age appropriate b/c I was NOT (always many grade levels above) and it was super hard not to be bored or the "problem child".

Anyway, I'm not entirely sure what to ask. I am interested more in behavior things (Lord help me, but she's a nightmare at home -- and seems to be fine at school). I don't really want to tell the teacher that she's out of control at home, but I would like more insight into how she is at school, KWIM?

Any questions would be great! Especially if you have a child in language immersion. TIA!

ellies mom
12-09-2009, 02:26 PM
I would ask her if she feels there are any areas of concern. What does she suggest you do to support your daughter's schooling. And then hit on your concerns.

Honestly though, acting great in school and out of control at home is really normal. And in some ways speaks well of the attachment between you and your child. She spends all day trying really hard to be "good" so when she gets to the safety of her home and family, it is like she can relax and blow off some steam so to speak. And it means that she does feel safe and loved enough in the family to do that.

niccig
12-09-2009, 02:28 PM
I asked this question about a month ago. He's what other people suggested I ask
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=339768

lil_acorn
12-09-2009, 02:40 PM
I asked a lot about his social interaction -

-does he play with all or some of the kids; who does he play the most with.
-How is he doing following the rules?
-If your child has special interests, you may want to note it to the teacher as they can provide worksheets during choice time (i.e. my son loves to do math worksheets so she's given him those to do)
-what is the upcoming curriculum

Good luck!

egoldber
12-09-2009, 03:04 PM
You might want to ask if she has any particular friends or if there are kids you might want to cultivate friendships with.

bubbaray
12-09-2009, 03:23 PM
Thanks ladies -- yes, the report card address some of the social questions (she plays nicely and has made some friends -- I want to get names as she's fuzzy on these, there are a number of the same names, KWIM?).

I know the behavior stuff (good at school, nasty at home) is normal, but its still VERY tiring to deal with. I'm on the fence about mentioning it, I probably won't -- don't want to have the teacher think badly about her, KWIM? DD#1 LOVES school so far and I want to keep it that way.

ETA: teacher has already said she wants parents to read to the children at home (in English and French if possible), which we do. We also do workbooks, but she d/n seem keen to have the children do workbooks at home in French. I'm also going to ask about math as DD#1 seems to have quite the affinity for it (NOT from me). The goals were already discussed last spring -- there really aren't any for Kindy -- just to have the children love school. Can already check that off.

egoldber
12-09-2009, 03:25 PM
I really don't think the teacher would think badly if you mentioned it. Not so long as she's nice to them. ;)

bubbaray
12-09-2009, 03:28 PM
I find the teacher kinda hard to read. Part of it is language -- English is her second language (French is first), so the nuances of tone, etc are hard for me to pick up on, KWIM? I really like her, but she's quite business-like with the parents (very engaging with the students) and HIGHLY rated/raved about by virtually everyone (parents and teachers) I've ever spoken with. Even our daycare director RAVES about her.

I dunno. IF DH shows up (who knows if he will), then I might just leave it alone as he would crap on me if I said anything about that to the teacher.

maestramommy
12-09-2009, 03:44 PM
Like pp, I would ask if there are any areas of concern. At all. If there are none, I would tell her not to hesitate to let you know if any pop up. And then I'd wrap it up by asking if there's anything she would like you to know regarding the remainder of the year, any Q you have about immersion program.

Sounds like a good report!

sste
12-09-2009, 04:01 PM
You know, in this case, I might just put my energy into DD1 - - breeze through the conference, listen to what the teacher has to say, maybe ask for a few suggestions for things you can do to help DD1's social and academic development. But, I would put my mental preparation and energy into arranging a special celebration meal or ice cream with DD1 to emphasize to her how proud you are of her. Maybe something french or french toast or crepes? I wouldn't rec this to everyone but in your case it sounds like you have a teacher in a million and your DD is doing extremely well - - so the conference is just a meet and greet . . .

Seitvonzu
12-09-2009, 04:53 PM
oh sste... my inner 5 year old LOVES your french toast or, even better, CREPES idea :) how oh la la is that? crepes are actually pretty easy to make at home (or they probably sell premade ones that you just heat up) and you can fill them with so many tasty--savory or sweet-- fillings. you just can't go wrong with crepes, even something like cheese tastes extra special wrapped up in a crepe!

does your daughter like madeline? i might pair this with a few madeline book for special storytime (since reading is so big to the teacher)... is that silly? do they have those in french?

it sounds like the teacher is good and your daughter is doing well... congrats!