PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a faux sherling coat?

alexsmommy
12-09-2009, 06:51 PM
How warm is it?
I have got to get DH a Christmas list for me with links and this is one the "want but would never think to buy for myself list."

arivecchi
12-09-2009, 07:06 PM
I used to have a fake one about a decade ago and it was very warm. I'm sure that may vary from brand to brand though, so I would stick with a better-known one.

alexsmommy
12-09-2009, 07:07 PM
I used to have a fake one about a decade ago and it was very warm. I'm sure that may vary from brand to brand though, so I would stick with a better-known one.

Ah, and as a Chicago-ite I trust your definition of "warm". Thx

Dreading tomorrow...

arivecchi
12-09-2009, 07:10 PM
LOL. I had it when I was in NYC, so not quite as cold as Chitown. :)

codex57
12-09-2009, 08:35 PM
WOw, NYC isn't as cold as Chicago?

Sorry, I'm originally from SoCal so this cold and snow stuff is utterly fascinating to me. Pipes froze for the first time in 2 yrs today (2 yrs ago, it only froze one day that whole winter). Still much more amusing than annoying to me.

alexsmommy
12-09-2009, 08:44 PM
WOw, NYC isn't as cold as Chicago?

Sorry, I'm originally from SoCal so this cold and snow stuff is utterly fascinating to me. Pipes froze for the first time in 2 yrs today (2 yrs ago, it only froze one day that whole winter). Still much more amusing than annoying to me.

First cold snap of season tonight it's 22 degrees with a windchill of 7 and falling. Low temp with be 7 with windchills approaching -20 degrees. We will have many more days like this throughout winter, but the first one always hurts the most.

It always surprises people that we almost NEVER close schools for snow - I mean it has to be a true white out 12 or more inches in few hours blizzard actively happening for that to happen. Even that will only delay the start time if it happened overnight to give them time to plow the roads. Attitude is "slap on some cross country skis and get your tush to school." Yet schools will close here for cold temps - when it's too cold for the kids who walk or have to take public/school transportation to be outside for more than a few minutes.

Which means you have to have several weights of winter coats because winter can be anywhere from windchills of 30 below (occasionally more) to a 45 degree day four days later. It's crazy.

I hear the stories of "real" cold in Canada and I am in awe of what they deal with up there. It's bad enough here, but we can turn off our car engines without danger of them not starting up.

codex57
12-09-2009, 08:59 PM
Do you guys have to layer coats on top of coats?

alexsmommy
12-09-2009, 09:08 PM
Do you guys have to layer coats on top of coats?

Actually, kind of. You can imagine how hot you get if you are dressed for a -10 degree windchiil once you get into a heated building. So layers not only keep you warm, but can be shed once inside. DSD will probably head out for school tomorrow in a camisole with a long sleeve lightweight shirt, a lined hoodie, and a warm coat. DS1's school tends to be overheated so I'll send him with with a long sleeve t-shirt, a fleece pull-over then his coat and if I thought he was going to be outside for any length of time, ski-pants.
We have lots of fleece pullovers, sweatshirt etc for layering.
The carseat thing can be an issue so I really like having a fleece pullover under the kids coats because I can have them take off their coats and wear them backwards once they are buckled in and take the coat off once the car warms up.

MontrealMum
12-09-2009, 09:55 PM
I have a faux shearling coat that my mom bought for me. I hate it because:
1) it's white (which is super impractical for someone like me)
2) it's the wrong size (it's an XL, and I'm a M or even a S)
3) it doesn't zip, but has hook-and-eye closures which gape when I move, and are hard to do up with gloves on
...so nothing specific to it being faux shearling, but to my mom's warped idea of what would be appropriate for someone living in these temperatures!

Given that, I am guessing that if it did fit properly and not like a tent, and zipped, instead of letting cold air in every 4-5 inches, that it would be warm. As in, comparable to my LLB wool and thinsulate lined toggle coat, or even slightly warmer considering it as a higher collar. Both coats are the same length (mid-thigh). It is quite heavy compared to my other coats which are either wool or down. I wear the LLB wool coat on "warmer" winter days that you might expect in the midwest or NE.

I'm not sure that helped much...

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
12-09-2009, 10:22 PM
First cold snap of season tonight it's 22 degrees with a windchill of 7 and falling. Low temp with be 7 with windchills approaching -20 degrees. We will have many more days like this throughout winter, but the first one always hurts the most.

It always surprises people that we almost NEVER close schools for snow - I mean it has to be a true white out 12 or more inches in few hours blizzard actively happening for that to happen. Even that will only delay the start time if it happened overnight to give them time to plow the roads. Attitude is "slap on some cross country skis and get your tush to school." Yet schools will close here for cold temps - when it's too cold for the kids who walk or have to take public/school transportation to be outside for more than a few minutes.

Which means you have to have several weights of winter coats because winter can be anywhere from windchills of 30 below (occasionally more) to a 45 degree day four days later. It's crazy.

I hear the stories of "real" cold in Canada and I am in awe of what they deal with up there. It's bad enough here, but we can turn off our car engines without danger of them not starting up.

Our district didn't cancel school Monday, with a blizzard in the forecast, they now have egg on their face.... We got blizzard winds and 28" from Monday AM to Tues AM. Our overnight low is supposed to be 7, tomorrow our high is gonna be a balmy 33, lol. I get all the time that it can't be that cold in Arizona, I tell people to google Flagstaff, one of the snowiest and coldest cities in the US!

To answer OP, I have a faux shearling from The Gap and it is pretty warm. I wouldn't wear it in the teens, but probably in the mid-high 20's.

lizzywednesday
12-09-2009, 10:37 PM
Our district didn't cancel school Monday, with a blizzard in the forecast, they now have egg on their face.... We got blizzard winds and 28" from Monday AM to Tues AM. Our overnight low is supposed to be 7, tomorrow our high is gonna be a balmy 33, lol. I get all the time that it can't be that cold in Arizona, I tell people to google Flagstaff, one of the snowiest and coldest cities in the US!...

Isn't Flag in the mountains, to boot?

(DH's parents are retiring to the PHX metro, so we've not yet been to Flag. Also, if we're traveling in December, the furthest outside PHX we get is Sedona.)

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
12-09-2009, 11:51 PM
Isn't Flag in the mountains, to boot?

(DH's parents are retiring to the PHX metro, so we've not yet been to Flag. Also, if we're traveling in December, the furthest outside PHX we get is Sedona.)

We have mountains around us, but we are not "in the mountains" like the Sierras or Rockies. KWIM? Flag is at 7,000 feet. On average we are 30 degrees colder than PHX in the day, considerably more than 30 degrees at night. They have a heat island effect, where the concrete traps heat and releases it at night. I have been here almost 6 years and the coldest night was -16. On average we get more snow than Buffalo!

alexsmommy
12-10-2009, 08:19 AM
Ahh, good old Chicago. Nothing like waking up to hear current temp 2 degrees, sustained windchill -20 gusting to -30, windchills below zero all day.
Seriously, how do Canadian's do this on a regular basis? I want to pull the blankets up over my head and stay in my jammies all day.

arivecchi
12-10-2009, 12:27 PM
Ahh, good old Chicago. Nothing like waking up to hear current temp 2 degrees, sustained windchill -20 gusting to -30, windchills below zero all day.
Seriously, how do Canadian's do this on a regular basis? I actually like days like this. I know. It's crazy. Chicago does not stop no matter how cold it gets. In other parts of the country, people would not be leaving the house. I just put on my Uggs, hat, gloves and coat and go. :)

alexsmommy
12-10-2009, 12:30 PM
I actually like days like this. I know. It's crazy. Chicago does not stop no matter how cold it gets. In other parts of the country, people would not be leaving the house. I just put on my Uggs, hat, gloves and coat and go. :)

LOL. Ok, so I admit, now that I am up and going and already had to go out to drive DS1 to school, i am toying with a Costco run in the hopes that it will be a little less crowded than usual.
So true nothing really stops because of the weather.