PDA

View Full Version : where to find instant snow for cheap?

calv
12-09-2009, 09:42 PM
saw it at a store today for $6 for a tiny bag. OMG that stuff is awesome!!!!!!!!!

deannanb
12-09-2009, 09:52 PM
not sure how the prices compare...
http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/product/instant-snow

AJP
12-09-2009, 10:14 PM
That's cool! Oh the decorating I could do with that stuff for Christmas...

calv
12-09-2009, 10:15 PM
That's cool! Oh the decorating I could do with that stuff for Christmas...

i touched it today and the stuff is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!! just dont want to pay $6 for a teeny tiny bag if I can find it cheaper elsewhere.

wifecat
12-09-2009, 10:18 PM
I'm not sure if it's the same stuff, but I saw some at Five Below for $2 or $3 the other day.

cchavez
12-09-2009, 10:27 PM
do you have a hobby lobby nearby....you can use a 40% off coupon and it is reasonably priced.

logan's mom
12-09-2009, 10:50 PM
I work at a science center and we use this stuff a lot. You should know that it dries out and goes back to powder after a couple of days. You could probably keep misting it with water but I am not sure.

Here's another place that sells it: http://www.teachersource.com/Chemistry/HydrophilicHydrophobicPolymers/InstantSnowPolymer.aspx

deannanb
12-09-2009, 11:38 PM
Adding: just got this email tonight....
Things to do with the snow....
http://tinyurl.com/ye3t7pj

geochick
12-09-2009, 11:39 PM
I have a whole front yard of it. You can come and get it all for free. ;-)

Tondi G
12-09-2009, 11:43 PM
you can get a bag of 8 gallons worth of snow on ebay for a decent price. A friend of ours just bought it for their DS's birthday party.... let the kids play with it in the sand and water table!

candaceb
12-10-2009, 12:31 AM
If you're in the northeast, I saw it at Ocean State Job Lot - they had a tub that was about quart sized for $5.

calv
12-10-2009, 12:36 PM
you can get a bag of 8 gallons worth of snow on ebay for a decent price. A friend of ours just bought it for their DS's birthday party.... let the kids play with it in the sand and water table!

do you or your friend have the ebay seller? I'd love it for DD's party too! i've even seen it sold as goodie bags for the kids, LOL

lellolicious
12-10-2009, 02:35 PM
Wow, just when i think i'm an informed parent, i read about something like this that i never knew existed!

From the FAQ on one of the sites posted:

How long does the hydrated snow last?
The snow will start to dehydrate after a few days due to evaporation. Just spray the top of the snow with water and fluff the snow with your fingers to give it a fresh, fluffy look. You can also let the snow completely dry out to use it again. The dry form of Insta-Snow powder will last forever!

Too bad my kids like to eat the candy off of our annual gingerbread house when they think i'm not looking, because my initial thought was to somehow add snow to it. Maybe i'll do something neat with Santa's footprints on Christmas eve instead. And i have to go to Five Below tomorrow!

Tondi G
12-10-2009, 02:56 PM
do you or your friend have the ebay seller? I'd love it for DD's party too! i've even seen it sold as goodie bags for the kids, LOL

If you have a Cost Plus world market near you they sell the snow powder in little test tube looking things for a few bucks each.... we got each of our boys one for their stocking for Xmas! I will find out about the ebay seller!

calv
12-10-2009, 03:22 PM
seems like i'm conducting a little experiment here. went to job lot, THANK YOU to who posted aout it and the stuff thinks. Like plastic, but anyway, it's giving me/us a headache. then i saw the INSTA-SNOW, which I believe is the stuff I saw at the xmas speciality store and i've yet to make/try that. it's suppose to be cold to the touch and not sticky like the stuff I got at job lot. Hmmmm, what to buy/keep/get more of, LOL