PDA

View Full Version : warms kids pjs that are not flame retardant?

cchavez
12-09-2009, 10:38 PM
do they exist? Thanks!

shawnandangel
12-09-2009, 10:57 PM
I think by law up to a certain age the clothing has to be flame retardant. It is only not flame retardant when the clothing is tight fitting. I would guess that perhaps the HA long johns which get high reviews here, although I don't have them, may not be flame retardant.

http://www.hannaanderson.com

Elilly
12-09-2009, 11:26 PM
We use GAP and Old Navy.

wimama
12-10-2009, 12:44 AM
I believe any pajamas that are not snug fitting are required to be flame retardant. Hanna Long Johns are not flame retardant. DS wears Hanna Andersson Long Johns and when he was a baby he wore Hanna Zippers.

I love Hanna jammies. They cotton is thicker and I think warmer than other brand cotton jammies. They also fit my son so much better than other brands. My son has a pretty stocky build and a long torso. The other brand pajamas we have tried always get outgrown fast because they pajama tops are not long enough for him. My DS also sleeps in Hanna Moccasins.

crl
12-10-2009, 01:10 AM
I think polyester fleece is not treated with anything to make it flame-retardant, because polyester doesn't really burn to start with, right? So if you are okay with synthetics, how about fleece pjs?

Catherine

DrSally
12-10-2009, 01:21 AM
I think polyester fleece is not treated with anything to make it flame-retardant, because polyester doesn't really burn to start with, right? So if you are okay with synthetics, how about fleece pjs?

Catherine

I'm pretty sure our fleece jammies are all treated. We put a cotton layer under the fleece, so at least it's not right next to their skin.

citymama
12-10-2009, 01:25 AM
Hanna Andersson 100% cotton PJs are the thickest all cotton PJs out there. All polyester/fleece PJs have to be treated with flame retardant by law. My strategy was to buy fleece PJs used on eBay - after all those washes, the chemicals must surely have washed off!

crl
12-10-2009, 03:02 AM
Hanna Andersson 100% cotton PJs are the thickest all cotton PJs out there. All polyester/fleece PJs have to be treated with flame retardant by law. My strategy was to buy fleece PJs used on eBay - after all those washes, the chemicals must surely have washed off!

That's not quite right. Here's a link to the United State's Consumer Products Safety Commission information on children's sleepwear: http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/slpwear.html

It says, in part,

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission sets national safety standards for children's sleepwear flammability. These standards are designed to protect children from burn injuries if they come in contact with an open flame, such as a match or stove burner. Under amended federal safety rules, garments sold as children's sleepwear for sizes larger than nine months must be:

Flame Resistant -- Flame resistant garments do not continue burning when removed from an ignition source. Examples include inherently flame resistant polyesters that do not require chemical treatment.

(bolding is mine) It goes on to give the other option of snug-fitting sleepwear.

Catherine

crl
12-10-2009, 03:18 AM
I have this memory that LE and LLB fleece pjs used to not be treated, but I might be wrong (DS gave up wearing pjs a few years ago, so my memory on this has faded). I went to check their websites, but I can't tell from their descriptions. I am sure that both companies would answer the question if anyone wants to contact them.

Catherine

Momof3Labs
12-10-2009, 06:18 AM
Why not use sweatshirts and sweatpants sold as daytime wear? They wouldn't normally be flame retardant and would be warm.

veronica
12-10-2009, 07:21 AM
Hands down, Hanna andersson Long Johns!
You can also look for the older, looser kind on ebay!