PDA

View Full Version : Best lightweight stroller with some features

GracieCat
12-10-2009, 01:07 PM
I'm in search of a good lightweight stroller for quick trips. I have a P3 which I like and probably will get a BOB Rev 2010 in the spring. I couldn't find the manufacturers weight on the P3, but it seems heavy and takes up a lot of trunk space. What else should I get to round out my stroller needs? I was thinking maybe a Triumph. Thoughts? Suggestions? My DS is 3 months. The P3 suited my newborn needs so it doesn't have to be suitable from birth. We could have another baby in 3-5 years.

AnnieW625
12-10-2009, 01:59 PM
I love my Triumph and it's been for the most part DD's only stroller (we have a jogger, and a Vista too) and we've been using it since DD was almost 4 mos. old and had good head control. Some people are adament that you shouldn't use the Triumph before 12 mos. because it only has a one position recline, but it's a great stroller and I had no problem with DD using it as an infant.

DH and I both work full time and DD is in daycare so the stroller really fit our needs for weekend trips, theme parks, airports, mass transit trains, etc. It's a great lightweight stroller and I would've been lost without it.

DD is now 3/1/2 and still asks for the stroller and doesn't have a problem sitting in it. The seat accomadates 45 or 50lbs (the new ones are all 50 I believe) and DD will be able to use it for a while. I also love the fold and the fact that the stroller has almost zero plastic!

I will say the only downside to the current models is that Maclaren discontinued the folding hood, which is great. If you don't mind perusing Ebay or Craigslist look for a 2006 or 2007 model (maybe even 2008) for the tilting sun shade. Otherwise you'll most likely need an after market sun shade extender.

Honestly though sometimes I wish I would've bought a Techno XT only because I didn't know how much we were going to use our stroller when we got it. The Techno does everything and might be a bit of clone to your P3 (it weighs 17lbs), but it has the same great umbrella fold.

arivecchi
12-10-2009, 02:09 PM
We have a Triumph and love it too. It is my DH's, DS1's and DS2's favorite of our 3 strollers! Still going strong after 3 years of heavy use.

strollerqueen
12-10-2009, 02:40 PM
The Quest has a deeper recline, bigger wheels, and an extended legrest. Since your baby is only 3 months, you might look at that one. In Europe, however, they don't recommend it for under 6 months. The standards are a little different in the US, so for here they say 3 months. Weight-wise, it's 12.5 pounds vs. 11 for the Triumph, or 19.5 for the P3. So it is still quite a bit lighter.

bodey
12-10-2009, 02:41 PM
I am in a similar boat. If any of you reading this has twins and can suggest a good double lightweight stroller, please respond. I have heard good and bad things about the Maclaran double. Lightweight, but hard to steer. thanks

jacksmoma
12-10-2009, 04:14 PM
I am in a similar boat. If any of you reading this has twins and can suggest a good double lightweight stroller, please respond. I have heard good and bad things about the Maclaran double. Lightweight, but hard to steer. thanks

a good lightweight double is the bjcm- can't be beat if you need lightweight with TONS of features!

smcdonald2
12-11-2009, 09:19 AM
OP, eBay has some great deals on Maclaren Quests right now. You can get them for about $130 with shipping.

poohbear
12-11-2009, 11:18 AM
which year quests/triumphs have the better hoods? and if you buy a stroller from a seller on ebay or even tj maxx, does maclaren honor the warranty (this may be a strollerqueen question)?

whalemama
12-11-2009, 11:45 AM
I just got the Chicco Liteway and love it. Let me know if you have specific questions about it.

smcdonald2
12-11-2009, 02:44 PM
My SIL loves her Keekaroo Karoo.

http://www.keekaroo.com/karoostroller.html

you can get the red one for $125 and read reviews on Amazon.

twowhat?
12-11-2009, 04:31 PM

We have twins and use a BJCMD. Love it. So easy to get in and out of the car, so quick to fold and stash in the trunk. I've seen peoples' eyes pop when I fold that thing LOL. LOVE the canopies for our oversized TX concrete parking lots with no shade and blazing sun! FYI the canopies also keep the kids pretty dry in a light rain - only their feet will get wet but I keep a blanket in the car for that kind of thing. One-handed steering with the single handelbar. I will admit that I never tried a Mac but people do love theirs so it might be worth trying them out. The Macs LOOK a bit more compact to me, but I have not had a single problem with the size of our mini - fits all standard doorways perfectly.

sweetsoul99
12-12-2009, 07:39 PM
I would recommend the BJCM or the Maclaren Techno XT. Both weigh 17 lbs, have large hoods, larger wheels, and suspension. The BJCM has an easier fold, but is 24 inch wide. The Mac has an incredibley small footprint. I didn't like the triumph or quest because with those small wheels you hit everybump in the sidewalk, but I know a lot of people who like theirs, it's all a matter of personal preference. Me, I couldn't live without the smooth ride and large hood.

smcdonald2
12-12-2009, 07:41 PM
I would recommend the BJCM or the Maclaren Techno XT. Both weigh 17 lbs, have large hoods, larger wheels, and suspension. The BJCM has an easier fold, but is 24 inch wide. The Mac has an incredibley small footprint. I didn't like the triumph or quest because with those small wheels you hit everybump in the sidewalk, but I know a lot of people who like theirs, it's all a matter of personal preference. Me, I couldn't live without the smooth ride and large hood.

:yeahthat:

If I had $200 to $250 right now, I'd buy one of these two. Just not sure if they're too close in weight to your P3?

sweetsoul99
12-12-2009, 07:51 PM
:yeahthat:

If I had $200 to $250 right now, I'd buy one of these two. Just not sure if they're too close in weight to your P3?

Isn't the p3 like 24 lbs? Not exactly sure. It's true that 17 lbs isn't the lightest, but it seems that all umbrella strollers less than 17 lbs have bare bone features. It depends on what you can and can't live without. I got my mac xt for 220, brand new off craigslist.

A cheaper alternative that I always like to suggest, is the Chicco c6. It doesn't have the manuverability or easy lock of the mac's, but it has a rather large hood, 6 inch wheels with suspension, and comes in super cute colors. It's my fav stroller to travel with. You could get this for about 60 at bru.

arivecchi
12-12-2009, 09:26 PM
Since the OP is getting a Bob and already has a P3, she needs a super light umbrella stroller. I'd go Mac Volo, Triumph or Quest depending on the age of the child. I started using my Triumph with DS2 when he was 5 months. He is a pretty big baby, so he fit well at that age. Most babies would probably fit a Triumph or Quest well after 6 months, so you can use the P3 for those first 6 months and the Mac and Bob after that period. I'd go Mac because they are excellent and last a long time so future DC will be able to enjoy it as well.

jenandahalf
12-14-2009, 02:41 PM
I jut wanted to explain that the 6 months and over European standard relates to the reclinability of the stroller - it has to recline completely flat for European standards to declare it suitable under 6 months. Hope that helps!

AnnieW625
12-14-2009, 03:29 PM
which year quests/triumphs have the better hoods? and if you buy a stroller from a seller on ebay or even tj maxx, does maclaren honor the warranty (this may be a strollerqueen question)?

Mine is a 2006 and the 2007 Triumphs also have it. I believe that 2008 models might have it too, but I am not 100% sure. I'd email Maclaren directly to check. I bought my stroller off Ebay and have never had a problem with it. I honestly forgot all about a warranty when I bought mine. I didn't even see if the seller was authorized or not.