PDA

View Full Version : Please help us decide on first convertible

berryberrykix
12-10-2009, 02:14 PM
Hi there - Our son is about to outgrow his Britax Companion at 6 months. (15lbs, about 28 inches). We have an Acura TSX with the Companion in the middle. We'd like to keep him RF for as long as possible. I had narrowed it down to the BV or Diplomat, depending on which one fit in the car. But I have a few questions for you experts:

- I like the idea of the side impact protection of the BV or Diplomat, but is he going to hate not being able to look out the window? Is it going to be a huge pain to get him in and out RF?

- Since we're going to be RF for more than a year, would a Radian be a better pick? Does anyone know if any of them would fit in the TSX?

- Albeebaby has an incredible deal on the Diplomat ($149) -- should I be suspicious that it has a really old DOM?

Thanks!

Joolsplus2
12-10-2009, 02:41 PM
The Diplomat is really short and outgrown by RF kids usually around 18 months, 2 if he's short torsoed. The Boulevard should fit fine in your car, unless you guys are super tall and need a lot of leg room then it might be too cramped. Most BV owners love it. I'd personally be fine with a Roundabout 50 or First Years True Fit if it were me. Radian might eat up too much front to back space, it's very reclined unless you have 'squishy' back seats and can push it's recline boot down really hard into the seat to make it more upright (usually it fits fine in minivans are larger suvs, TSX is an Accord-sized Sedan, right? Miiiiight fit, try it if you can).

Swimfreak78
12-10-2009, 02:43 PM
Another suggestion - go to BRU and try the seats in your car if possible. That helped me measurably then price check.

AnnieW625
12-10-2009, 02:56 PM
I have been in the back seat of a TSX and it's much smaller than the Accord, it's probably a little bigger than a Civic (the TSX is the Accord in Europe though!), but not much. The BLVD should fit in the back seat on the passenger side of the car if either you or your DH aren't tall and require the seats all the way back. In a couple of years once your baby is ready to forward face the BLVD will be fine.

Another smaller car seat is the Combi Cocorro and from what I have read on car-seat.org's message board it's more likely to get a baby rear facing until 2 than the Diplomat or Roundabout 40 will. It doesn't have the fancy wings like the Diplomat, but it looks to be a very plush seat, even once there is no infant padding in it. I do have a few friends who have a Diplomat for their kids and they have been really happy with them.

Now as far as DOM of a seat from Albee I wouldn't be worried. In 2006 we bought an Evenflo Triumph seat from them for $119 on clearance and the seat was less than two months old. You can always try and call them, but just because the seat is on sale/clearance doesn't mean that it's necessarily old.

Combi Cocorro:
http://www.combi-intl.com/Products/Item.aspx?Item=12