PDA

View Full Version : Infant car seat recommendation

lmush
12-10-2009, 02:14 PM
What would you recommend for an infant car seat? What's best? What's worst? I have no idea what we should be looking for :D I'm such a newbie at this & I'm so clueless!! Do we want a travel system??

Help!!
Laura

AnnieW625
12-10-2009, 02:45 PM
We had a basic Graco Snugride 22 from Target. While it was a gift and I should've taken it back because it had the back adjusting straps (harder than the front adjust ones from what I hear, although I have never actually tried the front adjust ones) I never did and just used it. It worked great for the 7 mos. that we used it and DD didn't have any issues with it.

About a month ago I went to a local baby shop and looked at the new Graco Snugride 22, and Snugride 32 seats and the fabrics/prints did nothing for me. The Graco Snugride 35 in Racer from Babies R Us only is probably the nicest Graco I have seen. Enough about fabric though.

The Snugride 22 has a 29" (or less than 1" left in head room from the top of the seat. You could have a tall torsoed baby like me and who will outgrow it before 29"), and 22lbs. It lasts mosts kids from between 6 and 12 mos. . It ranges from about $70 for the cheaper models at Target or Wal Mart to about $150 for the most plush Graco Pedic padded one found online, BRUS, or boutique baby stores.

The Snugride 35 can hold an infant up to 35lbs and 35" (the less than 1" head room rule applies) and this seat replaced the Safe Seat (2006 to early 2009), and the Snugride 32 (2009, however there are probably still some stores stocking these as the SR 35 hasn't had a full release yet!) and this seat is good if you know you'll be having a big baby, live in a cold climate where you know it will be easier to take the baby into the house in the infant seat then this might work for you. It should get a tall baby to at least past 12 mos. and probably somewhere around 18 mos. for smaller averaged size kids before needing a convertable seat. It ranges from $130 to $160 I think. It's probably the best value for an infant seat out there.

The Chicco Key Fit 30 is the nicest seat on the market and has the nicest fabrics I think. It is good from 30" and 30lbs. Most kids get to about a year in it. It's more expensive than the Snugrides, but the fabric is nicer and it's suppose to install in a snap. I'd honestly like one of these for #2, but I am not convinced that I really need a new one. Chicco also makes a 22lb model. The 22lb model is around $130 I think, and the KF 30 is about $160.

The only seat that pretty much everyone here universally pans is the Peg Perego Primo Viagio 30 SIP. Again it looks nice, is the top choice among trendy moms/dads, but I have heard it's really hard to install, and either most kids end up not liking it or it doesn't last much more than a year.

I think you'd be fine with either a Graco or a Chicco. If it were me I'd buy the Chicco. If you do decide on the Chicco don't worry about compatability for other strollers. You can get something like a Baby Trend Snap N Go or a Maclaren Easy Traveller if you know for sure you are going to need an infant carseat frame. Soo many people get soo worked up about having an infant seat compatable with a stroller to use as a stroller system, but it's honestly not neccessary as long as the stroller has a full recline for baby.

Good luck, and have fun shopping.

Joolsplus2
12-10-2009, 02:48 PM
What car do you have? That might help a little, but really the best choices are the Chicco Key Fit 22 or 30 (same seat, different weight limits), and the Graco Snugride 32 or 35 (same seat, different weight limits, what's WITH that? rofl!). Those (any of them) install the easiest in the most cars, have harness systems that are easy to use, fit newborns all the way to big babies/small toddlers well, and are overall a nice quality and easy to use.
I think *most* of us would prefer to pick a good stroller and a compatible carseat to go with it, rather than just a travel system. The stroller board will be able to help you pick out the stroller that suits your needs (and your car's trunk!) best. Some travel systems might work absolutely perfectly for you, though...we'll help you figure it out :)

lmush
12-10-2009, 03:12 PM
Thank you! We both have Nissans. I drive an Altima & Dh has an xterra.

GraceH
12-11-2009, 10:09 PM
I have been extremely happy my pairing of Graco SnugRide32/35 (used for 2 years - lifesaver through 2 Chicago winters!) and Graco Mosaic stroller (still using!) for a great 'bang-for-your-buck' budget choice,
but the Graco infant seats are compatible with most 'higher-end' strollers that have carseat adapter capabilities.
(it will depend a lot on your budget and lifestyle - I couldn't justify $250+ strollers in my budget & I have an suburban in & out of car frequently lifestyle)
*disclaimer - a lot of great deals can be found online, but be sure to take a BRU trip and try in your car for fit before taking the plunge*