PDA

View Full Version : Play kitchen, dress up dolls....what age?

MamaSnoo
12-10-2009, 02:55 PM
I am a FTM to 20 mo old girl. At what age did your kids really like the play kitchens? What about a doll to dress---Corelle or Snap-n-style? I do not want to get things too early if she will not be excited about them yet.

WatchingThemGrow
12-10-2009, 02:57 PM
That's the perfect age IMO to get a doll and a kitchen. That's when we did it, and she loved it! We waited until 2 for the SnStyle dolls.

elephantmeg
12-10-2009, 09:31 PM
DD is that age and she loves the kitchen and felt play food. I got her some snap n style dolls for Christmas. She loves her baby dolls-corolle and some cheaper ones and is getting into the caring stuff-loves bottles. I got her this plastic backpack of baby stuff at walmart which has all sorts of stuff from lotion to a potty chair to a plate and fork and spoon and she has gone wild over it. She took half of it to bed with her!

her Christmas list is
fisher price my first doll house and a few room sets (us and various relatives)
the doll crib from costco, corolle calin and the diaper bag set (MIL)
some random doll diapers and a sling from etsy
snap n style and the Christmas clothing set with it.

MamaSnoo
12-10-2009, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the advice. She likes to take care of her animals, but we had not done much with dolls yet. Maybe I will get her the Corelle Calin doll.
I think her Aunt got her the FP dollhouse as well this year---sounds like our LOs will have similar holidays!

citymama
12-11-2009, 02:54 AM
In our case, it was the perfect age for a play kitchen - I think we got it when DD was 21 months and she loved it (still does, 2 yrs later). She also loved getting a tea set and play food then, and loves doing kitchen/tea party play still.

Dolls are another story - DD is all about animals and can't stand dolls! Give her a stuffed toy animal or a Schleich/Holtziger animal figurine and she's in heaven. Give her a doll and she'll never play with it. She did like the dolly stroller and milk bottle at that age for her animals, and she played a little with dolls from around 20-24 months, but no lasting interest. Problem is, she got 3 or 4 dolls as 2nd birthday presents that do nothing but gather dust! Maybe mine is the outlier and most girls that age love their dollies?

boolady
12-11-2009, 11:43 AM
DD turned 3 in October. She got her kitchen last year for her birthday, and still loves it. She also loves dolls, particularly baby dolls (she got a table w/chairs and a highchair for her birthday this year), and also really likes Snap 'n Styles and little Disney princess figurines with rubber dresses and now has 2 Barbies that she got for her birthday, and likes those, as well.

DD doesn't really dress her babies, per se, but she likes to change their diapers and I made her up a "diaper bag" for her baby out of a small old LL Bean tote w/diapers, cloth diaper "burpers", bottles, a wipes case, etc. She likes to swaddle them, take them out in the stroller, feed them, etc. She can't put their one-piece outfits on herself.

She got one of the fabric PBK dolls as a gift last year, I think her name's Chloe, and she likes to play tea party and things with her, but the clothes are way too fitted for her to be able to change herself.

ETA: Besides playing with her kitchen and babies, DD loves animal figurines (she has some Holztigers and will be getting a few more in her stocking), loves to play with her stuffed animals, and loves to play games and read books.

Seitvonzu
12-11-2009, 12:19 PM
my child has liked dolls since about 15 months. we gave her one for her birthday, but she didn't really attach to it-- until i showed her the EXTRA clothes i had for her. then she started to get really into the doll. oh, and her diaper bag- that was a GREAT accessory for the baby. since then i gave her a calin doll that she reallyreally likes and a bigger corolle "potty" doll that she LOVES (i personally think that one is a little weird looking, but my child LOVES baby emma!)

we just got a kitchen, but have been having "tea parties" since at least 18 months. they are daily and frequent occurences at our house.

perfect age in my opinion!