PDA

View Full Version : Gift idea for BIL's new Girlfriend?

erv917
12-10-2009, 05:03 PM
So, I just got an email from BIL (DH's little brother) asking for a suggestion for an XMas gift for his girlfriend of a few months. I have to admit, I think it's really cute and am flattered that he's asking me for my opinion. :wink2:

Since DH and I have been together for ages (since the BIL in question was like 12, lol), I am not too well versed on what a good choice would be early on in a relationship that would be personal and thoughtful but not overwhelming, you know?

Anyone have any brilliant ideas?

TIA!

pinkmomagain
12-10-2009, 05:28 PM
I think anything that he's noticed she likes would be great and flattering. Like if he's been paying attention and notices that she likes a certain author or music he can get her some books and/or CDs.

MamaMolly
12-10-2009, 06:06 PM
I think a nice piece of sterling silver jewelry would be appropriate. He could get her a little charm and chain, or if choosing a charm she'd like would be tricky then a pretty bracelet is always a good option. I wouldn't go over $30 or so.

hollybloom24
12-10-2009, 06:23 PM
I second the jewelry thought!

misshollygolightly
12-10-2009, 07:38 PM
How about some etsy jewelry, or maybe James Avery jewelry? He could easily pick something at either of those places that isn't too pricey, but feels a little more unique/personal than something from the department store counter.

(James Avery: http://secure.jamesavery.com/index.jsp)

vonfirmath
12-11-2009, 12:51 PM
I think a nice piece of sterling silver jewelry would be appropriate. He could get her a little charm and chain, or if choosing a charm she'd like would be tricky then a pretty bracelet is always a good option. I wouldn't go over $30 or so.

I wouldn't get jewelry for a new girlfriend. That would have bothered me and I'd have been hesitant to accept.

My first Christmas with my now husband (we'd been together for 5 weeks at the time) he got me a scarf (which I still have). He'd noticed I didn't have one and was often cold. And he went ALL over looking for my favorite color.

MoJo
12-11-2009, 12:56 PM
And I'm allergic to jewelry if it touches my skin, so if his GF doesn't wear it, there may be a reason.

That is actually a hard question. Maybe tickets to a concert or other event that they could enjoy together (assuming he knows what she would enjoy).

I loved it when my BF (now DH) put some music together for me that he thought said something about our relationship, but that was after more than a few months.

Twoboos
12-11-2009, 12:56 PM
I wouldn't get jewelry for a new girlfriend. That would have bothered me and I'd have been hesitant to accept.

My first Christmas with my now husband (we'd been together for 5 weeks at the time) he got me a scarf (which I still have). He'd noticed I didn't have one and was often cold. And he went ALL over looking for my favorite color.

I second the no jewelry at 5mos. I was actually going to suggest a scarf too, I've gotten a couple of cute cashmere ones at TJMaxx for $40. (And my in fact find myself back there getting one for me, too! :))

lizzywednesday
12-11-2009, 01:11 PM
Count me in as another "not at the jewelry stage" vote ... my DH and I met at Halloween, so at Christmas we'd been together 2 months.

I believe his Christmas gift to me that year was a LOTR movie t-shirt, a soundtrack from Fellowship and a movie tie-in paperback copy of Two Towers.

He didn't get me jewelry until we'd been together more than a year.

(Incidentally, I've had boyfriends give me jewelry early in the relationship and it's VERY intimidating!!!!!)

cvanbrunt
12-11-2009, 02:31 PM
Cashmere gloves and scarf.

lizzywednesday
12-11-2009, 02:49 PM
Cashmere gloves and scarf.

Stacy London always says there's always room for cashmere.

cvanbrunt
12-11-2009, 02:55 PM
Stacy London always says there's always room for cashmere.

I don' know who Stacy London is, but I love her.

wellyes
12-11-2009, 03:15 PM
I'm not terribly traditional, but for this situation, I'd opt for small but high-quality and not get anything you can buy at Target, Wal-Mart or Sears. A Coach wristlet would be a nice choice.

lizzywednesday
12-11-2009, 03:17 PM
I don' know who Stacy London is, but I love her.

Stacy co-hosts the American version of 'What Not to Wear' on TLC.