PDA

View Full Version : Well I rock. Seriously. Yeah me!

bubbaray
12-10-2009, 06:09 PM
I just got home from being a parent helper at Kindergarten Christmas craft day. Verry interesting! And, OMG, I could never in a million years be a Kindergarten teacher. (a) I am too tall and those fricken fracken tables are too short! (b) 18 5yos. OMG. Shoot me now.

It was fun, though. We were invited to bring a craft, which I did. Lame-oh foam stickers from Michaels in Christmas theme and general holiday theme (I didn't know if there might be kids who didn't celebrate Christmas as we live in quite a diverse area). There were 3 other moms and 1 dad (yeah him!), noone else brought a craft. So, I earned brownie points for that, teacher was happy with me! :thumbsup: I think my choice of craft was appropriate for the skill level of most of the kids (I thought it would be too basic, but it was fine) -- I don't think they thought it was lame at all.

I had my parent teacher conference yesterday (should update that thread on how it went) and one of the issues was the wide array of skills in the group. No $h!t, skippy. I was quite stunned. I mean, this is language immersion and the district is quite up front that it is not an appropriate program for students requiring special needs assistance (there isn't much of that even in the English program, but that's a different issue). I was quite shocked at the difference in even basic spoken ability of some kids. Most of the kids will end up being fluent in 3 languages (home language, French & English), but it wasn't that. I couldn't even understand a few of the kids. I now understand when the SLP says DD#1 is age appropriate.

Anyway, it was fun. Definitely not scrapping the lawyer gig for teaching anytime this lifetime, but I can do it a couple times a year. It would have been nice if I could have done 100% of my instructions in French, but oh well. I did OK. There was more English than usual because all the communication with the parents was in English.

sste
12-10-2009, 06:15 PM
You DO rock!! I think I would need to medicate myself for 18 kindergarteners - - you were awesome. And you brought a craft. I am taking notes here for future reference when DS starts kindy!

Corie
12-10-2009, 06:24 PM
Great job!!! I'm always amazed by elementary school teachers whenever
I step foot into a classroom. (I taught middle school and it's a whole different
story!)

P.S. I think kindergarten teachers hide the booze in the art supply closet. :)

AnnieW625
12-10-2009, 06:25 PM
That's soo awesome Melissa! I am soo glad you had a good time.

bubbaray
12-10-2009, 06:26 PM
P.S. I think kindergarten teachers hide the booze in the art supply closet. :)

No kidding. I would definitely only be able to be a Kindy teacher if I was drunk. I actually know a couple of K teachers and, interestingly, they are on the shorter side (as is DD#1's K teacher). Hmmm, I wonder if that is by design? My back is killing me from all the bending over the midget-sized tables to help!

g-mama
12-10-2009, 06:45 PM
Good for you! I am only 5'3" and can hardly stand sitting in those teeny tiny chairs. They sure are cute though. I'm sure your craft was perfect for them

Our preschool is a co-op so parents work in the classroom 8 days a year. On those days, I am so totally wiped out. I need Motrin when I get home and a nap. And it's only for 3.5 hours!

It totally gives me a whole new level of respect for teachers of young children...all teachers for that matter!

MamaKath
12-10-2009, 06:58 PM
Anyway, it was fun. Definitely not scrapping the lawyer gig for teaching anytime this lifetime, but I can do it a couple times a year. It would have been nice if I could have done 100% of my instructions in French, but oh well. I did OK. There was more English than usual because all the communication with the parents was in English.
Sounds like a great day Melissa, and you ROCKED it as a volunteer. I was laughing about not leaving your job, sometimes I wonder what I was thinking when I went back to teaching, but mostly I love it! ;)

MMEand1
12-10-2009, 09:26 PM
Just yesterday my DD's teacher asked me if my DH and I can watch her class for 35 minutes next week while they have a teacher's luncheon. She was really nervous when she asked me and said that she did not know of any sane parents that would want to come and watch 22 4-year-olds! I told her we would be happy to help (might change my mind after we actually do it next week)! My boss said that it would probably be like herding 22 wild, wet cats! I really admire teachers and all that they do for my DC!

MontrealMum
12-10-2009, 09:58 PM
Good for you! Sounds like you did a great job :bighand: DS loves those foam stickers...which reminds me that I have to replenish his supply soon.

FWIW, one of my preschool/primary teachers was 4'10"...but I don't think that's why she specifically chose to teach younger kids. My mom teaches kids that age and I have no idea how she does it. She just seem to be the most patient person on earth, which, obviously, I have not inherited.

SnuggleBuggles
12-10-2009, 10:04 PM
Good job! I love spending time with ds1's class. I am always grateful when I leave that I didn't stick with teaching b/c I truly don't have the temperament for it. You can just tell the teachers that really and truly have the passion for it and are so good at it. You can't fake t. I bow down to the people who were born to teach! It is an amazing skill!

I bought one of those foam kits last year and what I loved was how they all turned out differently. Kids are so creative.

Beth

arivecchi
12-10-2009, 10:09 PM
:thumbsup: Awesome!

niccig
12-10-2009, 10:35 PM
Well done. I did something similar, and not being a crafty person I was overwhelmed. The teachers are amazing in my opinion to deal with so many little kids and get something done.

almostamom
12-10-2009, 10:47 PM
One of my dearest friends was a kindergarten teacher for 25+ yrs. She's about 5'8" and she wore heels every single day that she taught. Every.single.day!!! There's a special place in heaven for kindergarten teachers! ;)