PDA

View Full Version : Kids in the front seat - booster?

KrisM
12-10-2009, 06:22 PM
I'd like DS1 to be able to ride in the front seat for very short trips. In the cold, I'd rather drive him to the bus stop instead of pushing a double stroller through the snow. He's in the middle in the back, making hard to get him in and out quickly and easily. Plus, my seat gets a nice wet foot print on it at pickup :).

Anyway, the bus stop is around the corner and about 6 houses total away. Roads are 20 mph.

Can I put him in a low back booster for this? I'd like something that I can keep in the car and use if necessary.

Joolsplus2
12-11-2009, 10:58 AM
I remember those three seats across days, and the desperation of throwing the big kid in the front from time to time (See? You knew I wouldn't flame you for this question, right? :))
I'm sort of digging the Evenflo Amp booster lately, it's nifty like a 50's diner chair. Not sure if it comes with a shoulder strap adjuster (the Turbo backless and Harmony Lite Rider DO come with those). You probably won't *need* the adjuster, it makes buckling up a pain, but it'd be nice to *have* an adjuster, and it's not even an option on the Cosco.
OR... you could go with something that's a highback, narrow, and can be used backless for now, like the Parkway SG. Then if you are still doing 3-across after the harness is outgrown, you have a fair chance of it fitting back there. Safeguard (now Safety 1st) Go Hybrid might also be a choice, you'd take the harness off for now and it's a really nice booster.

KrisM
12-11-2009, 10:58 PM
I remember those three seats across days, and the desperation of throwing the big kid in the front from time to time (See? You knew I wouldn't flame you for this question, right? :))
I'm sort of digging the Evenflo Amp booster lately, it's nifty like a 50's diner chair. Not sure if it comes with a shoulder strap adjuster (the Turbo backless and Harmony Lite Rider DO come with those). You probably won't *need* the adjuster, it makes buckling up a pain, but it'd be nice to *have* an adjuster, and it's not even an option on the Cosco.
OR... you could go with something that's a highback, narrow, and can be used backless for now, like the Parkway SG. Then if you are still doing 3-across after the harness is outgrown, you have a fair chance of it fitting back there. Safeguard (now Safety 1st) Go Hybrid might also be a choice, you'd take the harness off for now and it's a really nice booster.

Thanks for realizing that 3 across is just hard at times!

I'll look at the Evenflo and Safeguard and check them out. He's got a couple inches left in the Radian, so no hurry on a fancy booster yet. I want to wait to buy something for the long haul until I need it, since who knows what I'll drive or what the other kids will be in at that point. Plus, I was thinking backless just takes up less room in the trunk.

I considered rearranging and putting him outboard, but since he's in school all day, I'd rather not have to get a kid in and out of the middle all day long. And, I don't want 2 next to each other if I can avoid it. He buckles himself in, so it's easy for me. And, DD likes the Wizard better than the Radian, and if DS1 is outboard, that means she is in a Radian to make it work.

gamma
12-12-2009, 11:19 AM
Should she switch off the airbags?

Joolsplus2
12-12-2009, 12:34 PM
Should she switch off the airbags?
No, not really necessary, just push the seat back and make sure the child stays in position. Technically boosters say not to use in a position with an active airbag, but they are just covering their legal hind quarters :wink2: Properly restrained kids are actually at very low risk from airbags in the front seat (particularly in newish cars, they swtich off by themselves under a light passenger or heavy purse). Back seat is still a lot safer for kids, but the rare front seat ride, properly restrained, isn't a big risk :)

veronica
12-12-2009, 12:38 PM
Just wondering if laws are different from state to state?

I believe, here in NJ, it is illegal to have a child in the front seat until age 8 or 80 pounds or so (I may have my stats a bit off since DC's are so far from that...). does it vary so much by state?

Joolsplus2
12-12-2009, 12:39 PM
Most states don't care if kids are in the front... http://www.iihs.org/laws/childrestraint.aspx shows all of them...

veronica
12-12-2009, 12:46 PM
Most states don't care if kids are in the front... http://www.iihs.org/laws/childrestraint.aspx shows all of them...

Wow-thanks for the link. I had no idea the variation from state to state was so large. It's truly an eye-opener for me!

westgre
12-12-2009, 08:10 PM
Hmm. Here I've been reinstalling a CarGo to middle backseat and putting DD's Parkway in the backseat for the very occasional times I have all three kids in my car. It occurs maybe once every month or two (sometimes three months). I usually only have 2 of the three kids in my car. If we all go, we usually take the van. It would certainly cut down on the fighting if I could let DD ride in the front in her Parkway on those very few occasions.

KrisM
12-26-2009, 09:38 AM
Wow-thanks for the link. I had no idea the variation from state to state was so large. It's truly an eye-opener for me!

Isn't it nuts? Michigan is under 4 in the backseat, so I can legally have him in front.

I haven't had a chance to get to a store to look at these boosters. I think I'm going to try the Parkway first and see if I can make it work with 3 in my car, just so I know long term.

As far as airbags and pushing the front seat back, I'm limited in how much I can push the seat back, because DS2 is RFing behind the passenger side and that seat only goes back so far, even when upright.

And, another question - would you put him in the front for a slightly longer drive? The bus stop to home is so short, it really doesn't worry me. But, what about from school to home, which is about 1 mile and again on slow roads (20 or 25 mph). I pick him up in the car line so I don't have to get everyone out and right now, he climbs to the back, but it takes us a bit to get out of everyone else's way and the front would be easier and faster.

Joolsplus2
12-26-2009, 09:57 AM
Just don't fall down an ever more slippery slope of one mile, now 3 miles to the store, now 10 miles to grandma's (or whatever...). But if it were *me*? Um, yeah, I'd totally be ok with a front seat in the pickup line for a mile or two drive home, personally. (Thing's'll get easier when they are older and FF and you can go back to a full time rear seat situation, I predict...).

KrisM
12-26-2009, 10:07 AM
Just don't fall down an ever more slippery slope of one mile, now 3 miles to the store, now 10 miles to grandma's (or whatever...). But if it were *me*? Um, yeah, I'd totally be ok with a front seat in the pickup line for a mile or two drive home, personally. (Thing's'll get easier when they are older and FF and you can go back to a full time rear seat situation, I predict...).

Even in nicer weather, I'd put him in the back. He comes out of school in snow pants, boots, and a coat. He climbs into my seat and takes his coat off, then climbs into the back and takes the rest off and buckles himself in. It's really not fast.

I only pick him up at school once a week because of swim lessons. Otherwise, he's on the bus.

Even looking into these options, I am not sure I can let myself put him in the front :).

Joolsplus2
12-26-2009, 06:04 PM
Yeah, it's too hard to look danger in the face like that, isn't it? I absolutely freak if my 5-2 95lb 12 yo rides in the front even rarely, because it's not actually beneficial to have airbags till you're 15. Sigh.