PDA

View Full Version : Age appropriate

kristac
12-10-2009, 06:56 PM
The box arrived from the inlaws today. Several of the wrapped packages were torn open. They bought DS1 a crayola glow dome- it says 6 and up- he will be 5... Maybe not too bad? DS2 is getting a FP snail: http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Roll-Along-Pals-Snail/dp/B000ZPHMNS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1260485428&sr=1-1
he is 2.5 but this toy is for 6 months +. (And in general we don't really do noisey toys- but they wouldn't know that as they take very little interest in our lives.) Would it be bad if I returned it before Christmas and found something else?? Would it be aweful if I opened and rewrapped the other packages?

vonfirmath
12-10-2009, 07:24 PM
My son still hasn't seen one of his Christmas presents from last year. I didn't feel it was appropriate. (other than opening it on Christmas)

When he's old enough it will come back out.
we did take back another uncle's gift. Note: most people won't take stuff backw ithout a receipt.

AnnieW625
12-10-2009, 07:38 PM
I'd be honest as can be with your MIL and tell her that your DS already has something like it, and that the one she gave him is a little young for a 2+ year old. I would tell her that you'd like to get your DS something else instead. See what she says. I don't have the best relationship with my MIL but I know that I always feel better when I am honest with her and tell her how I feel. Yes it's hard, but honestly I feel soo much better when I've done it.

niccig
12-10-2009, 09:27 PM
My mum did the same thing. Bought 2 snap circuits kits when I only need one and then a magnet kit that is way too old for DS. One of my friends is buying the extra snap circuit kit, and I'm using the money to get a magformers set for DS. The magnet kit that my mum got him will sit away for 2-3 years - very intricate tiny pieces.

I DID try to tell me mother about the presents, but she was not receptive. So, I'm swapping them out,and honestly she won't ever know.

MamaMolly
12-10-2009, 09:48 PM
My step mom got DD size 2T clothes for her 3rd birthday. :banghead: Luckily I know she shops at Kohls so I just talk it back for store credit.

I'd either take it back or re-gift it, or put it in the Toys for Tots drive.

connor_mommy
12-11-2009, 12:55 AM
Usually I tried to get store credit back for something that's not age appropriate or a duplicate for the boys. If I can't, then I'll donate it. My MIL tends to get clothes that are a few sizes to big for the boys. She'll cut off all the tags before she gives it to us. I'm surprised that she doesn't wash it first. One year, she showed me a bunch of stuff she got for my boys as well as my sisters. Luckily she hadn't done anything to the tags. I just told her the boys had way too much clothes and for her to return it. Plus it was sweats and sweatshirts. My boys won't wear it, no matter how cold it is.