PDA

View Full Version : if you had AC/Heating put in your house how much did you spend?

AnnieW625
12-10-2009, 07:33 PM
Our classic 1960s era heater has pretty much died. We are awaiting our first estimate from a local company (met with the owner last night and was very impressed with is credential and such) and he offers an Amana, and a Goodman (Goodman makes Amana, and Goodman is the largest home HVAC unit seller for residential units in the USA; thought it would've been Carrier or Lennox) so we are expecting that it will cost between $5,000 and $7,000 for a 3 ton AC, and a heating unit to heat/cool our 1100 sq. ft. home (also should be large enough if we do a 400 to 500 sq ft. add on in the future:)). Depending on what we get we'll qualify for up to $1500 in tax credits, and possibly another $1200 in rebates from So Cal Edison, plus another $200 I think from our gas company I think it's the right time to replace it.

So brand aside (or share if you want to) appx. how much did you pay for installing a new heater and or AC or both?

truly scrumptious
12-10-2009, 08:12 PM
We paid about 7K three years ago for central A/C only (heat is on baseboards so that is separate) to cool our 1700 sq ft home.

kdeunc
12-10-2009, 09:01 PM
We paid $9100 this summer for a 3 ton Goodman A/C/gas pack for our downstairs. It replaced an A/C unit and an oil furnace.

HIU8
12-10-2009, 09:14 PM
3 years ago our furnace died. We replaced with a high efficiency dual zone Carrier for roughly $4,500 to heat our 2400 sq ft home. We have not replaced A/C yet, but expect to have to in the next few years.

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
12-10-2009, 10:23 PM
Annie, I would strongly suggest you join Angie's list for the month, then call the three highest rated companies in your area. When we had hot water heaters replaced this year there was a huge, huge variance in price. Companies I have found through the list have never let me down and you can read about others' experience with the company.

AnnieW625
12-14-2009, 02:39 PM
Thanks for all of the replies. We got one quote back from the first guy we talked to last week and it seems like it will be about $7500 or so to get both replaced, but then once we get the tax rebates for both systems, and utility rebates the final price of the units will be about $3000. The AC is actually going to be cheaper than the heating unit! All three companies we are interviewing have A or A+ ratings from the BBB so I feel very good about that. Two of three companies have been used by someone we know too. If none of them pan out then we'll most likely look at Angie's List.

JenaW
12-14-2009, 03:21 PM
WOW...those numbers seem high...or maybe my recollection is off. I thought we paid about $3-4000 for a new two stage furnace last year. It is a Trane I think.... We have a 2400 sq ft house. In a suburb of Pittsburgh, we paid about $3000 total to put in a new furnace and install central air (BOTH) for our 800 sq ft house about 6 years ago.

lilycat88
12-14-2009, 04:42 PM
We replaced 2 HVAC systems in August 2008 (one for upstairs and one for 1st floor and basement). The total was about $20,000 before rebates and that included an air purification system and humidifier. We had numerous quotes from highly rated companies from Angie's list. These folks were neither the most expensive nor the cheapest but we got the best vibe from them and they seemed the most knowledgeable.