PDA

View Full Version : Christmas gift for dh

brgnmom
12-10-2009, 10:30 PM
so I was asking my DH what he would like for Christmas, and he responds with how he'd be happy with my not spending anything on him.

But then when I look at all the wrapped presents around our tree, they are all practically for our DS, and I just feel bad that I haven't gotten my DH anything. And my DH made a remark, "Where are my presents?" My DH's bday was on Thanksgiving this year and I gave him a photo book, his favorite tea gift set, and love letter.

I'm trying to think of other sentimental items that I can make/give my DH and all I could think of is maybe a CD of favorite songs or an embroidered bookmark. oh and a Christmas card. we're trying to save up for our big move.

I'm curious as to what you all are giving your DHs/significant others. :)

misshollygolightly
12-10-2009, 10:56 PM
Well, DH and I do buy for each other, and he nearly always has 1-2 semi-expensive geeky requests (he's a big video game/computer nerd), so I usually buy one of those and then pick out a few other, smaller things I think he'd like. I almost always get him a few practical items: new dress shirt for work, new socks or boxers along with some chapstick and hand lotion or a tooth brush in his stocking. One new thing I'm doing this year is sewing DH and DS matching pairs of flannel pajama pants. Got some fun fabric cheap at the fabric store and am using this *super easy* online tutorial: http://www.instructables.com/id/How_to_Sew_Your_Own_Pajama_Pants/

Would your DH like something like that? If you can sew at all (like a straight seam) and have a basic sewing machine, it's really a piece of cake. For extra fun, I bought plain t-shirts for DH and DS and am ironing-on some appliques to make the shirts match the pj pants for a complete ensemble :)

Another thing I do (especially when we're trying to save money) is give DH coupons to redeem for his favorite homecooked meal, a batch of brownies, and one or two other homemade specialties. He can redeem them whenever he wants, as long as he gives me enough notice to get the ingredients at the grocery store.

SnuggleBuggles
12-10-2009, 11:01 PM
Nothing sentimental this time around. He isn't that kind of guy so I only do those every so often because I want to. He seems to like them well enough when I do get them though. One of the things that went over well was a picture frame with ds's footprints on it from a paint your own ceramics' place. I also did the same sort of thing a few years later when making a stepping stone for the garden.

We are in the tools, video games, liquor, clothing, board games type mode here. I am getting dh a PS3 possibly. I have bought him 2 video games and a set of screwdrivers. I am also considering buying him a new down comforter. I also really intend to make his workbench area nicer and more organized. I tried to do that a year ago and I didn't finish.

When ds2 was born we both just ind of forgot to buy gifts for each other (ds2 was 3w old on Christmas). It was fine. There wasn't really anything we wanted or needed.

Beth

brgnmom
12-10-2009, 11:24 PM
Hi Holly,

I love your idea of sewing matching flannel pants for your DH and DS. That is really creative and sweet. Thank you for the link. I don't have a sewing machine, but maybe I will go out and try to find something already made that both DH and DS can wear. I know that my DS loves to wear his mocs because my DH has similar ones.
The coupon booklet is a great suggestion also--thanks!

Hi Beth,

PS3 is a worthwhile purchase-- at least in terms of being able to watch blu ray movies together or playing co-op games. :) there are times when I wish I didn't introduce my DH to the play station system though like when we first got the PS3 and he had a gaming marathon. I played video games during my childhood & still play sometimes so I can kind of understand. :shy:

Michelle

wellyes
12-11-2009, 12:37 AM
DH & I both make Amazon wish lists for ourselves. We only show them to one another. I pick one or two items from his list and get him a few other things like clothes & candy. I love each person having TONS of presents to unwrap, that's the fun of Christmas morning to me! Even if most of the gifts are really inexpensive, practical stuff.

On his list this year:
- Several video games (PC games & Xbox 360)
- Two investing books
- A really nice pepper mill

kozachka
12-11-2009, 01:00 AM
am getting DH subscription to his favorite magazine (that he buys every time when we shops anyway, so it's really a saving in a way) - National Enquirer. DH has been also pushing pretty heavily for a new camcorder, but I have not got around to researching those yet. Of coursem DH does not consider it a gift for him, rather a purchase that benefits the whole family. I am sure DH will find something else that he wants that he would say is his New Year's present so I am not going to bother with getting him another gift.

wendibird22
12-11-2009, 09:22 AM
Smaller things I always try to get DH each year include an Xmas ornament (our tree is almost entirely my ornaments from my childhood, so I'm trying to catch him up!), his favorite candy, a kitchen gadget or tool, socks (his are always a mess), winter gloves (usually by the next Xmas he's lost one).

This year in addition to a few small stocking stuffers he is getting a Wii game from the kids, a tshirt of his fav hockey team, a dress shirt and sweater, and a new cell phone and case.

truly scrumptious
12-11-2009, 09:44 AM
When in doubt for DH, I'll buy him a couple of movies from Target/Walmart. I'll usually get movies I know he likes and is likely to watch over and over. These also typically tend to be older (not new releases) so I can score a good deal ($5-$10) on them at Target.

SASM
12-11-2009, 10:00 AM
so I was asking my DH what he would like for Christmas, and he responds with how he'd be happy with my not spending anything on him.

But then when I look at all the wrapped presents around our tree, they are all practically for our DS, and I just feel bad that I haven't gotten my DH anything. And my DH made a remark, "Where are my presents?" My DH's bday was on Thanksgiving this year and I gave him a photo book, his favorite tea gift set, and love letter.

I'm trying to think of other sentimental items that I can make/give my DH and all I could think of is maybe a CD of favorite songs or an embroidered bookmark. oh and a Christmas card. we're trying to save up for our big move.

I'm curious as to what you all are giving your DHs/significant others. :)

Am I not understanding this correctly? Did your DH ask specifically for no presents? Was his "Where are my presents?" question just a silly comment in passing b/c he knows that you are NOT buying him anything?

I just ask this b/c DH and I are always saving for this or that, paying off this or that. Quite often, DH asks for no gifts. I feel absolutely HORRIBLE not buying him anything but I know that he is asking for "no gifts" for a reason. He actually gets upset if I buy him a little something, like boxers. On the years that we can afford to buy a little something we set a limit and that I KNOW that he is okay with a gift. Otherwise, no gifts...and I have to accept that.

That being said, I've discovered that no/low-cost gifts can be fun. They usually involve my corny artwork. :) I have made the usual coupon book mentioned above as well as a highly-decorated gift certificate/coupon for a payment of "something", my "savings" from forgoing a trip to Target, etc is the payment. It is something that I do anyway...I just poke fun at it and DH appreciates it. I have also just bought things that he really needs and wrap them up for the kids to give him: Body Glide or NuSkin or Gu for running, his hard-to-find shave gel, and spare gloves & Eucerin for our crazy winter weather. :)

Good luck!

dukie41181
12-11-2009, 12:18 PM
My husband and I aren't doing big gifts this time around. Frankly, we don't need anything. We have some large desires for the house and such but we are opting to save the money instead. Having said that, we are filling each others stockings with stocking appropriate things. Seemed a good compromise to us!

LarsMal
12-11-2009, 12:35 PM
We aren't spending much because there are things we need for the house. I asked for a garage door opener (didn't have the builders put one in) so I think that is going to be for both of us and then we'll just set a $50-75 limit so we have a couple things to open. I have no good ideas for him this year, though.

mommylamb
12-11-2009, 12:35 PM
Last year my DH gave me a set of home made certificates for hour long massages he would give me as a Christmas stocking stuffer... could be an idea.

mmommy
12-11-2009, 12:44 PM
My husband and I aren't doing big gifts this time around. Frankly, we don't need anything. We have some large desires for the house and such but we are opting to save the money instead. Having said that, we are filling each others stockings with stocking appropriate things. Seemed a good compromise to us!

:yeahthat: This is exactly what we're doing. I've found some sweet, cheap things to put in, like a plastic coffee mug that allows you to put your own photo between the plastic casing and the insulated space, and then the stocking basics like razor blades, etc.