PDA

View Full Version : Advice on last-minute kids' gifts...

MontrealMum
12-11-2009, 01:13 AM
So, thanks to DH :banghead: I now have to buy a small present for his goddaughter and her brother. The rest of my shopping is already done. I don't really have time between now and Xmas to go to the sort of fancy B&M store that I'd usually buy this sort of gift from, or at least, not lots of them, so I need a little help...please.

The little girl is about 6, and the boy is 8. Thanks to DH and his remarkable inability to keep track of things the boy might be slightly older than that. That's just my guess. I had thought I'd do fairy wings for the girl but I think that ordering a Corolle doll might be faster. Should I go with Les cheries? Or one of the "younger" dolls? I am not sure of what to do for the brother...a car or other vehicle? We don't know these kids terribly well so it's kind of hard to come up with something. No clue as to what books they already have.

I'd appreciate any suggestions for gifts between $30-$40. (For Canadians, am hoping to order from Chapters, which sells Corolle) I can get to TRU and Walmart w/o much stress in addition to one *fancy* kids store, but I like to do something *special* IYKWIM.

kozachka
12-11-2009, 01:17 AM
My son is younger than the boy in question but in my opinion one can never have too many Lego sets. There are a ton of choices right now with Star Wars being quite popular for 7+ years old crowd.

MontrealMum
12-11-2009, 01:29 AM
Of course - Lego! Great idea, thanks :)

egoldber
12-11-2009, 06:24 AM
Why not games for both? Depending on the 6 year old, she may not like dolls or dress-up.

TwinFoxes
12-11-2009, 07:24 AM
Why not games for both? Depending on the 6 year old, she may not like dolls or dress-up.

I agree, I think there's actually a significant percentage of girls who don't like dolls or dress up (some of them grow up to have twins and hang out on BBB :innocent:). A game might be better (with gift receipt!) unless you know she likes dolls/dress up.

For the little boy, I second the Lego idea, that's the one thing that's a constant on my nephews' lists, and they are 8 and 11. And Pokemon made a comeback, go figure! Also, if you know of a sports team he likes, jerseys/gear are popular.

egoldber
12-11-2009, 07:48 AM
Just to expand on what I meant because I posted before I had my first coffee LOL, while some 6 year olds may love fairy wings and Corolle dolls (mine would have), that is an age where a girl could be really into those things or be thinking that they are for "babies". If you know her well, and know she would enjoy those things, then that's great. If not, then swing by a Target and pick up a couple games for older kids and call it a gift. :)

If you want something more special, maybe a jewelry box for the little girl?

vonfirmath
12-11-2009, 12:55 PM
Webkinz?

My niece is one of those girls who doesn't like dolls, make-up, girly stuff, but she loves her stuffed animals. And webkinz has an online component, so are pretty special.

Is 6 old enough for the craft kits?

(and at 8 and 9, Legos were on the top of MY gift lists for several years)

SASM
12-11-2009, 01:09 PM
Hi Molly,

I second the suggestions of games (maybe Blokus) or Legos. My 6.5yo DS is a HUGE Blokus, Lego, and stuffed animal fan. Maybe a gift card for Build-a-Bear, if you have one up there. 4.5yo DD LOVES the same things as DS...she is NOT a "doll" girl but LOVES stuffed animals. They also love Webkinz.

Good luck!

hellokitty
12-11-2009, 01:21 PM
For the 6 yr old girl, how about one of those craft kits? You can get the klutz book/kits really easily, or go to Joann's/Michael's and there is a big variety of craft kits.

For the older boy, how about a science kit, lego or knex kit? Basically, something open ended, in case he ends up being older than expected. The science kits, TRU, Target and even Joann's carries them. In fact, they are on sale this wk at Joann's, I just went there last night (all kids crafts kits).

MontrealMum
12-11-2009, 02:03 PM
Thanks, guys! Those are great suggestions. I am very out of my element with older kids, mostly because I always do clothes or books for my DN/DN, but it's coordinated ahead-of-time.

It never occurred to me that she might not like girly things - I guess because I have a boy, I just get so excited about a chance to indulge *my* girly side, that it didn't enter my mind. But it's a very good point, and I don't want to be *that* adult that pushes things on kids solely based on their gender. I hated that as a kid. Off to check out those game suggestions. :)