PDA

View Full Version : #19 was an emergency C-section

BabyMine
12-11-2009, 11:25 AM
I pray that Josie does well.

Quote:

Michelle Duggar gave birth to baby #19 last night after the reality star was rushed to the operating room for an emergency.

TMZ spoke with a rep from TLC who told us, "Michelle, who has been in the hospital recovering from a gallstone, was taken to the OR for an emergency c-section."

At 6:27 PM, Michelle and Jim Bob welcomed their new daughter, Josie Brooklyn ... who weighed in at 1lb., 6 oz.

We're told Michelle is resting comfortably and the baby is "stable" -- although she's in the neonatal intensive-care unit at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences.

The rep added, "The most important thing right now is for Mom and baby Josie to get as much rest as possible. The family is grateful for all the prayers and well wishes during their recovery."

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/#ixzz0ZOUUXLQd (http://www.tmz.com/#ixzz0ZOUUXLQd)

calv
12-11-2009, 11:29 AM
gosh they really need to stop! I heard this may be rumor. Eeek!

misshollygolightly
12-11-2009, 11:29 AM
Oh my! Glad to hear they are both ok!

wendibird22
12-11-2009, 11:30 AM
Sending prayers to the Duggar family.

Coincidentally, a local radio station is doing a fundraiser for our children's hospital and this morning was talking to a mom whose son was born at 1lb 5oz and 12 in long and is a happy healthy 1yr old thanks to good care in the NICU. So, proof that miracles do happen for these tiny babies.

egoldber
12-11-2009, 11:45 AM
Glad to hear they are both ok!

They don't say what gestational age she is, but she is very, very small. She is a long way from OK at this point. :(

Wishing the family well. I can't imagine having such a small preemie (stressful in and of itself) AND have all those other kids to worry about too. :dizzy:

vonfirmath
12-11-2009, 11:50 AM
gosh they really need to stop! I heard this may be rumor. Eeek!

So anyone who has pre-eclampsia, or gallstones, that causes their babies to come prematurely, should stop having babies?

BabyMine
12-11-2009, 11:53 AM
Josie is 26 weeks (rumor). I know Michelle Duggar was rushed to the hospital with gallbladder issues about 2 days ago.

Ceepa
12-11-2009, 11:53 AM
Nevermind I see 26 weeks from pp.

JBaxter
12-11-2009, 11:55 AM
One one show Michelle joked about Fathers Day being conception date...

Looks like about 26 weeks

khalloc
12-11-2009, 11:59 AM
So anyone who has pre-eclampsia, or gallstones, that causes their babies to come prematurely, should stop having babies?

No, women who have those problems and also have 18 other kids at home should stop having babies. DUH! :)

JBaxter
12-11-2009, 12:02 PM
No, women who have those problems and also have 18 other kids at home should stop having babies. DUH! :)

Its ALL about choice. If she and her husband WANTS 19 children or 20 its up to them. She has had few problems with that many births and they live debt free. Everyone is intitled to their own opinion as are they.

vonfirmath
12-11-2009, 12:03 PM

Ah. So the comment was just more of the same "I want to tell you how many kids you should have" that had nothing to do with whether this child was preemie or full term.

khalloc
12-11-2009, 12:03 PM
Its ALL about choice. If she and her husband WANTS 19 children or 20 its up to them. She has had few problems with that many births and they live debt free. Everyone is intitled to their own opinion as are they.

Yes, I agree and I have already stated mine. :)

I don't want to tell anyone how many kids they can have. But 19 is a little on the crazy side. And you can't tell me you don't bat an eyelash when you hear someone has 19 children.

KrisM
12-11-2009, 12:04 PM

What is the allowable number of kids to want to have another? Only 1? Five? Just curious. Clearly to you 18 is too much and she shouldn't want any more. But, what if she only had 12 kids, could she have another? What if this was her first?

I wouldn't want 19 kids personally, but if I did, I wouldn't want others to tell me I needed to stop because their logic said I had too many.

arivecchi
12-11-2009, 12:07 PM
Khalloc and Caly are also entitled to their opinions. I happen to agree with them. An argument can definitely be made that you are knowingly putting the baby at risk if you are older and have medical problems and keep having children. Yes, it is about choice and it is a choice a lot of people would not make. I know this had been debated a thousand times here so that is all I will say about it. :) There is no need to get irritated over it. ;)

khalloc
12-11-2009, 12:10 PM
The original post I made was supposed to be funny. Because obviously the person i was replying to was trying to pick an argument, probably with the poster who originally suggested that they stop having kids.

They can have as many kids as they want since they are paying for them themselves. More power to them. But I do think 19 is a little ridiculous. But thats my opinion.

LarsMal
12-11-2009, 12:16 PM
All personal opinions about having 19+ kids aside, I just hope the baby is okay. The Duggars seem like a very loving family and I hope baby Josie pulls through.

egoldber
12-11-2009, 12:19 PM
if you are older and have medical problems and keep having children

In all fairness to her though, all her other pregnancies have been healthy and full term. She's never had issues like preeclampsia, HELLP (sp?) , etc. She in her early 40s, but most women that age have healthy pregnancies. There is a slight increase for complications, but not large. The biggest risk factor is a previous pregnancy with those issues. This sounds like a one off event, which can happen to any woman in any pregnancy.

And I sure hope they have health insurance, because their frugality isn't going to help them much when the NICU bills start rolling in.

arivecchi
12-11-2009, 12:21 PM
In all fairness to her though, all her other pregnancies have been healthy and full term. She's never had issues like preeclampsia, HELLP (sp?) , etc. She in her early 40s, but most women that age have healthy pregnancies. There is a slight increase for complications, but not large. The biggest risk factor is a previous pregnancy with those issues. This sounds like a one off event, which can happen to any woman in any pregnancy.

And I sure hope they have health insurance, because their frugality isn't going to help them much when the NICU bills start rolling in. Agreed. :)

Ceepa
12-11-2009, 12:23 PM
And I sure hope they have health insurance, because their frugality isn't going to help them much when the NICU bills start rolling in.

I doubt their community and others in the public at large wouldn't step in.

Puddy73
12-11-2009, 12:25 PM
All personal opinions about having 19+ kids aside, I just hope the baby is okay. The Duggars seem like a very loving family and I hope baby Josie pulls through.

My thoughts exactly.

Moneypenny
12-11-2009, 12:46 PM
I hope the baby does well! Our neighbors had a 26-weeker last January and the little guy is doing great now! He's still tiny and didn't get to come home until June or July, but he's healthy and happy (and has those delightful chubby baby thighs!).

daniele_ut
12-11-2009, 01:34 PM
I wonder if it's possible for people to just say a prayer or pass on a positive thought for this poor baby who is going to have a long road ahead of her, instead of passing judgement on her parents.

You may hear about babies born at that gestation surviving more frequently these days, but many, many do not. Mine didn't.

lchang25000
12-11-2009, 01:38 PM
Wow! She's TINY! Good luck to them and wishing them well.

JBaxter
12-11-2009, 01:42 PM
The blessing is she was already in the hospital when this happened. Hopefully they were able to do the steroids to help her lungs develop. Such a tiny little baby girl. One benefit of having the older girls is Michelle wont have to leave the baby and the older siblings can hold down the fort for a few weeks until things stablize.

Baby Josie will be in our prayers.

willow33
12-11-2009, 01:48 PM
Praying for baby Josie!

almostamom
12-11-2009, 02:16 PM

A dear friend of mine had a baby at 24w5d four years ago. Their medical bills were well over $1 million for his 4 month NICU stay.

Our prayers are with their Duggars and little Josie.

brittone2
12-11-2009, 02:18 PM
Thinking of the family. Her due date was kind of near mine in March IIRC, so this baby is *definitely* early. And dittoing the PPs...many early preemies these days do well long term, but many still do not survive or have long term health implications. I feel for them :(

I was just shopping at the co-op grocery the other night and the one cashier (we know her well) was telling me her sister was due in March and just delivered in early December.

I hope their little one pulls through and that they can find strength to get through this as a family.

Piglet
12-11-2009, 02:20 PM
I wonder if it's possible for people to just say a prayer or pass on a positive thought for this poor baby who is going to have a long road ahead of her, instead of passing judgement on her parents.

You may hear about babies born at that gestation surviving more frequently these days, but many, many do not. Mine didn't.

Well said Daniele, and hugs to you.

gatorsmom
12-11-2009, 03:28 PM

I also think this was well said, Daniele. Big hugs to you. I'm sure this story brought back some painful feelings. :hug:

fortato
12-11-2009, 04:00 PM

Big Hugs Daniele.

I'm glad you said something, no matter how many babies the Duggars have, each one is a blessing and deserves more than us bashing her mother. Prayers for baby Josie and the Duggars.

wellyes
12-11-2009, 04:04 PM
And best wishes to that whole family in what must be a very very stressful time. 26 weeks-that's tough. I hope this story has a happy ending.

jgenie
12-11-2009, 04:05 PM

We'll be praying for her here and sending :hug: to you daniele.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
12-11-2009, 04:11 PM
And best wishes to that whole family in what must be a very very stressful time. 26 weeks-that's tough. I hope this story has a happy ending.

:yeahthat:

:grouphug: to daniele.

scrooks
12-11-2009, 05:17 PM
I hope baby Josie does well. They do seem like a very genuine and loving family....

arivecchi
12-11-2009, 05:52 PM
I certainly wish them well. The fact that I don't agree with another family's decisions does not mean that I don't want the best for their children. Just needed to clarify that given the comments in one post. I also want to encourage everyone to get involved with the March of Dimes in its fight against prematurity. I hope their baby thrives and does well. I cannot even imagine what it must be like to have a one pound baby as my full term babies seemed so small!

shawnandangel
12-11-2009, 06:00 PM
Saying a prayer for baby Josie. This story really touched me, my daughter's name being Josie.

I'm so sorry for your loss Daniele.

sunshine873
12-11-2009, 06:25 PM
Wow - this hits close to home for me.

My DD was born at 26 weeks - 1lb, 8oz - 13 inches long. She was a feisty one from the beginning. She had a few issues (lungs, eyes and anemia) but all were minor in comparison to what could have been. She came home after 3 months at 4 lbs, 3 ozs. Now she's a rolling, bouncing 17 lb chunk getting ready to turn 1 next month! You'd never know by looking at her chubby cheeks that she was such a little peanut. :) Yes - it was a very long road and it will be for the Duggar family too. I sure hope they have an outcome as good as ours.

Daniele, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss :hug: Your DD is an overwhelming example of how very much I have to be thankful for.

Carrots
12-11-2009, 06:35 PM
I don't care how many kids they have.

I know what it is like to give birth to, and subsequently lose micro-premies. My triplets were born at 24 weeks and didn't make it out of the delivery room. 26 weeks is still very early and this baby and family have a very long road ahead of them. It breaks my heart to hear of any baby being born so soon.

alexsmommy
12-11-2009, 06:37 PM
The biggest risk factor is a previous pregnancy with those issues. This sounds like a one off event, which can happen to any woman in any pregnancy.

I agree on both points.
Even if the community does help, NICU care for a baby that tiny and early are going to be astronomical.
Hoping for a good outcome.

dylansnan
12-11-2009, 07:08 PM
Lots of positive thoughts for the whole family. Hope little Josie does well.

D was born at 26 weeks weighing 2lbs 5oz- she will be 7 in a week and a half!!!

infomama
12-11-2009, 07:10 PM
I can't imagine what they must be going through right now. Praying for them.

gatorsmom
12-11-2009, 10:57 PM
I know what it is like to give birth to, and subsequently lose micro-premies. My triplets were born at 24 weeks and didn't make it out of the delivery room.

Oh my God, this hit me hard, being a mom of multiples. Im so sorry for your loss.

7-14-2010 is a great date, btw. It'll be Cha Cha's 5ht birthday! :cheerleader1: I hope it brings you luck. :hug:

kijip
12-12-2009, 01:16 AM

Very true. The child being born early has nothing to do with their family size or her age. She had no way to predict this would happen. As pp on this thread illustrate, pre-term birth can happen to anyone and it can have very sad and very happy results.

I hope all goes well with the new arrival and she is ok in the end.

Fairy
12-12-2009, 05:06 AM
Insomnia brought me to the news of the latest Duggar. I'm not going to pretend that I think the Duggars are just like any other large family, cuz to me they're not. Human beings are not engineered for litters, nor are they engineered to have a baby once a year for 20 years, and, yes, I do shake my head a bit.

However, I absolutely do understand what drives them. It's a genuine faith in their religion and belief in what they are doing. They also, clearly, have it all under control. It's not what I do, and it's not what most of you do, but it is what they do, it seems to work just fine for them, they're not hurting anyone or on any gov't's payroll, they love their children, and I, therefore, respect it.

Finally, the baby is here. Wish we could put her back till she's done baking, but since we can't, she's got a serious fight on her hands at 26 weeks, and I'm so sorry for the losses of Daniele and Carrots. And the others who haven't contributed. I am sending my positive thoughts her way and really pulling for Josie. Seems to me that all the posts support Josie. Will be thinking about her.

MamaKath
12-12-2009, 09:27 AM
:yeahthat: Sad situation for any family!

daisymommy
12-12-2009, 10:09 AM
Ditto to everything Fairy said!

tnrnchick74
12-12-2009, 12:40 PM
As a NICU RN, I feel for ANY family who is going through this ordeal. 26 weekers generally have a lot of issues. There are miracles that happen, but as others have posted many do not survive.

No matter my personal beliefs/opinions on having that many kids I do respect the fact that they are not a burden on the taxpayers; their kids appear to be well-fed, healthy, and happy; and they are committed to their life, marriage, and lifestyle. I also pray for Josie that she pulls through and thrives with minimal/no lingering consequences of her extreme prematurity.

Gena
12-12-2009, 03:00 PM
Prayers and best wishes for Baby Josie and the rest of the Duggars. They have a long road ahead of them. I'm sure they will find comfort and strength in their faith and their community.

Hugs and condolences to all those here who lost babies, preemie or otherwise. My cousin's twins were born at 26 weeks. One lost her struggle after several hours. The other is now a healthy, active 2nd grader.