PDA

View Full Version : Do your DC exchange gifts?

LarsMal
12-11-2009, 12:31 PM
Do you let them pick out the gift? Do you set a price limit?

smcdonald2
12-11-2009, 01:02 PM
Our parents always took us shopping for each other. Like, Mom would take me shopping for my brother, Dad would take him shopping for me. I'm sure they agreed on a budget beforehand, but I don't think they ever mentioned it to us. Just let us look around (aided usually by a wish list) and then steered us toward the right price point, if necessary. It was fun!

maestramommy
12-11-2009, 03:47 PM
Not now. When they're old enough to have their own money, it could be fun.

SnuggleBuggles
12-11-2009, 04:15 PM
Yes. Last year I just pulled out one of the toys we would have given ds1 from us and slapped a "from ds2" sticker on it. :)

This year they had a holiday gift shop at ds1's school and we sent ds1 with $ to buy gifts for me, dh, ds2 and his g'parents.

Beth

KpbS
12-11-2009, 04:30 PM
This year I will have DS1 help with a gift I've selected for DS2. I would have had him "shop" for it at the store, but he wasn't with me when I snagged it for DS2.

Next year hopefully we can be organized enough to have them pick out gifts for each other.

g-mama
12-11-2009, 04:53 PM
I remember doing it for a year or two when it was just two kids. One for each other. Once we had three, I scrapped it because it meant each child had to get two gifts and it was too hard to think about!

cono0507
12-11-2009, 05:05 PM
We all went to the toy store a few weeks ago - DD and DH shopped for a gift for DS and DS and I shopped for a gift for DD. DH and I communicated by cell phone to make sure we wouldn't see each other in the check out lane. We ad a ball park price of $20. Then each kid and I wrapped the gift and put it under the tree. My kids are only 2 and almost 5 but they had fun shopping for the gifts and are anxiously awaiting Christmas morning to see them opened! :)

vonfirmath
12-11-2009, 05:18 PM
My parents have fond stories of me going with my dad to pick out a gift for mom that was from "All of us" -- I was three. But I love that story.

I think its good for kids, even with help from mom, to be able to choose things for their siblings, etc.

I think now I should have at least given our 2 year old a say in his childcare friend's present.

hollybloom24
12-11-2009, 05:19 PM
I am doing it this year for my girls who are 4.5. I took one to Learning Express yesterday. I figured about a $20 limit (I think it came to $22). She picked out for her sister some Calico Critters, a mini Ugly Doll, and a bracelet.

MommyAllison
12-11-2009, 06:33 PM
Not this year, but we have let DD pick out birthday gifts for DS. I would like to as they get older.

alexsmommy
12-11-2009, 07:03 PM
Not for Christmas. They do give each other b-day presents.
I have a hard enough time covering us and Santa.

liz
12-11-2009, 07:11 PM
Yes- our two oldest exchange. The budget is less than 10$ each. Right now it is easy-they both like cars. As far as the future? We may have to be more creative with the budget.

Puddy73
12-11-2009, 08:52 PM
Not for Christmas, but they do for birthdays. I take them to the $1 store and let them take their time spending $2. We talk about what he/she would like to receive and I'm really touched by the thought that they put into the decision.

mamicka
12-11-2009, 09:24 PM
Yes, the older 2 love doing it. It has to really be from them, though. Their own money or effort. So they'll find a few things at Goodwill/Target $ spot or make things (artwork of some kind).