PDA

View Full Version : Air travel for 3.75 yr old

PAfirsttimemom
12-11-2009, 03:23 PM
We're going to Disney next week with our 3.75 yr old and 15 month old DSs. We're flying, but my parents are driving, so they can carry some gear for us, including a car seat. Would you think my older DS would be ok to do the 2 to 3 hour flight without a car seat? I know the FAA recommends one for kids under 40 pounds (he is 35ish), but I'm pretty certain he will sit well in the seat with the lap belt only. If he stays put and buckled, will he be safe? Are the 40-pound recs because the buckles won't tighten enough for little ones or something? It would make life so much easier to just tote one seat through the airport. We have a Scenera that I'll take for DS2. If we really need one for DS1, I'll borrow the Scenera from my parents, so we'll have the two lightweight seats to use on the plane and in Orlando. What would you parents do? Thanks!

bensmom
12-12-2009, 03:00 PM
I have 3 kids and I let the older 2 sit in just the airplane seatbelt when they were around 3. They are both on the bigger side - so 3 and around 35 pounds? (my younger son is only 11 months).

I'm not aware of the "40 pounds" being any sort of magic number on the plane - that's just what harnessed seats went up to when the recommendations were made. I think that in turbulence, the lapbelt will keep my son in his seat.

So... yes, I personally would let my 3.75 year old sit in just the plane's seatbelt. My kids know not to unbuckle. I also usually take a small pillow or stuffed animal to put next to them to try to "fill" some of the space in the seat. My bigger concern is what you are doing at the airport when you land? Are your parents picking you up? Are you taking a bus that does not require a carseat? I personally will not check (or gatecheck) a carseat because there is no guarantee that it will make it to my destination when I get there. I have a SafeGuard Go that I've carried on or I take a Ridesafer Travel Vest.

AnnieW625
12-13-2009, 12:11 AM
We've only done 1/1/2 hrs. in the plane with no car seat and DD has done well for both round trips. The last flight was just the other day at 3 yrs. and 8 mos. . DD is 36lbs. She first sat in the airplane seat w/o a car seat at 3 yrs. 5 mos. old.

PAfirsttimemom
12-13-2009, 12:51 AM
Thanks for the replies. I don't know what I was thinking, but I will need the carseat after we land, because we are renting a car. So I guess we will just use the two Sceneras on the plane. This ought to be an interesting trek through the airport with two kids, two strollers, and two carseats. I'm thinking a carry-on bag is out. We are going to have to try to pack our stuff in two large checked bags. If anyone has any tips about handling the logistics of air travel with a 3 yr old and a 1 yr old, please feel free to share!

bnme
12-13-2009, 07:53 AM
Use curbside check-in if possible! No waiting in line. Will the 2 seats fit in one stroller? Then the older one can walk. Or he can ride and carry the little-one. Then get to your gate and claim a spot. You can take turns walking around with the kids to pass the time. Our plane toys have been leapsters, new sticker books, and a folder with coloring pages/activities I have printed out. Plus a few random things I let them choose. Also a snack bag -including special treats like lolli's and fruit snacks.

bubbaray
12-13-2009, 10:15 AM
See post #5 below:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=341101&highlight=security

I would gate check the seat for the 3yo and use a lapbelt. 2 strollers, 2 car seats, multiple carryons is definitely doable through security, assuming you have 2 parents to wrangle everything. We have DH take the kids, I take the gear. I've detailed it more in that other post.

HTH

PAfirsttimemom
12-13-2009, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the ideas!

Another option is to use a big old hand-me-down sit and stand stroller exclusively for the airport, so both kids can ride. Then we can gate check that and not worry about whether it will get beaten up (cousin was going to trash or yard sale it anyway before giving it to me), and my parents can drive our two lightweight strollers (one of which is a new Volo) in their van. But then we still have the question of carrying the carseats through the airport in addition to any carry-on luggage. They are light, but I guess they'll be a little awkward. We will definitely do curbside check-in for our checked bags. Can you also check a carseat at the curb, or does that put it at higher risk of damage?

If we check or gate check a carseat and/or strollers, do I need bags to protect them all, or should they be ok? As I mentioned, the one stroller is brand-new. I'd hate to have it trashed before I even use it once!

Logistics, logistics....

diegosmom
12-13-2009, 03:46 PM
We use the wheels that can attach to the car seats (GoGo Kidz) in the airport and it makes it easier to just pull/push them. You can also put the kids in the car seat and push them in it like a stroller. I wouldn't do this outside of the airport but in the airport it works fine. That way you can cut out a stroller since your parents are bringing one in their van or even check it with your luggage if you have to.

bubbaray
12-13-2009, 04:16 PM
If we check or gate check a carseat and/or strollers, do I need bags to protect them all, or should they be ok? As I mentioned, the one stroller is brand-new. I'd hate to have it trashed before I even use it once!

The first time we did the above type of plane strategy, both strollers were fresh out of the box new. I used a JL Childress red stroller bag (both strollers fit into the one bag), used a red JL CHildress red car seat bag for one car seat and used the other on board. We will NOT be using a car seat onboard again for DD#2 (what a freakin' nightmare that was -- she's much better behaved in a lap belt). DD#1 is in a booster now, so in the future, we'll be gate checking DD#2's car seat and DD#1's booster (or at least the bottom portion).

bluestar2
12-15-2009, 01:54 AM
This ought to be an interesting trek through the airport with two kids, two strollers, and two carseats. I'm thinking a carry-on bag is out. We are going to have to try to pack our stuff in two large checked bags. If anyone has any tips about handling the logistics of air travel with a 3 yr old and a 1 yr old, please feel free to share!

Definitely doable.

bensmom
12-15-2009, 01:54 PM
I personally will not check (or gate-check) a carseat that I need at my destination. The only way that I know the seat will make it is if I carry it on the plane.

I would either use the sit and stand to push both carseats (and a kid) through the airport) and let the older one walk (or the younger one in a carrier).

Or... I take my Safeguard Go (now made by Safety First, not sure if they are out yet) or a RideSafer Travel Vest for my older child.

jjordan
12-15-2009, 02:24 PM
We went to Disney last year with a 2.5 year old and a 6 month old. For the airport we had two single strollers, two Britax carseats, a diaper bag, and three carry-ons. It wasn't the easiest thing in the world but it was do-able. I'm trying to remember exactly how we managed things... I think that each stroller was used for a carseat, the toddler walked, and we had the baby in a sling. We also loaded up all of our carryons onto the strollers, so it ended up being one parent holding the toddler's hand and pushing one stroller, and one parent slinging the baby and pushing the other stroller.

We gate-checked the strollers and brought the carseats on the plane with us.

AnnieW625
12-15-2009, 02:46 PM
Look at getting something like this, PacBack Carrier, it's really great and easy to use:
http://www.pacback.com/

The 3 yo should be able to hold your hand and then you can put the baby in the sit n stand.

I have gate checked strollers and carseats a number of times and have never had a problem. I have also checked car seats at the counter and had no problems with it. The Safegaurd/Safety First Go (http://www.amazon.com/Safety-1st-Safeguard-Go-Hybrid/dp/B002STT4Q2) is a nice option too and it will fit in the overhead bin. Carseats, and strollers also don't count towards your allowance. Each of your children should also get a checked piece of baggage, even the one year old. Honestly I would check most of your baggage at the counter or using a sky cap. It will give you less to carry on the plane and such. One or two backpacks with snacks, activities, and an extra pair of underwear for each of you should be enough and very easy to carry. You can even put a backpack in the car seat with the PacBack attached.

Good luck, and have a good trip!

jenandahalf
12-15-2009, 03:23 PM
We did most of our flying with our oldest in Europe where you aren't allowed to take a car seat on board. We would just check ours at the plane door with the stroller, and always asked them to mark them for door delivery on arrival.

When we moved here 3 years ago we had a 3yo toddler, 2 strollers and 12 suitcases. Luggage carts are your friend! We loaded each stroller with cases and pushed one each, along with one cart each. My daughter walked through each airport and was fine. You can get carts on both sides of the security checks, you might also consider finding out how much it costs to get one of those golf buggy things that will drive you across the terminal. They can carry luggage on the back or in a separate trailer for you.

sarahbrown29
12-15-2009, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the ideas!

Another option is to use a big old hand-me-down sit and stand stroller exclusively for the airport, so both kids can ride. Then we can gate check that and not worry about whether it will get beaten up (cousin was going to trash or yard sale it anyway before giving it to me), and my parents can drive our two lightweight strollers (one of which is a new Volo) in their van. But then we still have the question of carrying the carseats through the airport in addition to any carry-on luggage. They are light, but I guess they'll be a little awkward. We will definitely do curbside check-in for our checked bags. Can you also check a carseat at the curb, or does that put it at higher risk of damage?

Logistics, logistics....

United Airlines will provide a plastic bag for the car seats (and they check for free!) When we carried seats through the airport, I used a bungee cord to attached to my wheeled bag. It didn't look pretty, but it did the job and cheaply!!

FWIW, DD1 did great on the plane in her seat over the summer. She was 4+ yrs, but about the same weight as your DS1. I made sure to bring a bunch of snacks, empty water bottle (filled at the fountain beyond security), new coloring book/crayons, and a card game. It was just the 2 of us, but she did well. We got a new snack when we got there and then just looked at the planes and people.

Have a good trip!

PAfirsttimemom
12-15-2009, 05:19 PM
Thanks for all the great ideas, everyone! We leave tomorrow, so wish us luck! :thumbsup: