PDA

View Full Version : Not a mommy drive-by..... and by a grandad

american_mama
12-11-2009, 07:15 PM
I was at Salvation Army yesterday with the three kids, which I haven't done in years because it never goes well. It's a treasure trove for them there, the salespeople are not tolerant of children, DS can escape his stroller in a few seconds, and then they all run in opposite directions. I was trying hard to be calm but firm, keep them controlled but still keep it fun - the library was next and the afternoon was supposed to be fun and light. I could have done better. I could have done worse.

On the way out, in the parking lot, a man with white hair, maybe in his late 50's, said to me, "I just wanted to say your patience is amazing. I see you've got the two yungun's (aside - it was actually three) with all their energy and you were just so patient, it was wonderful."

Oh, blessed man. He's not even in the demographic that I would expect to be empathetic. If we were all always so kind to each other....

sunshine873
12-11-2009, 07:43 PM
Nice to hear! I saw a man today - probably in his 60s or 70s while DD & I were at Jason's Deli. She was making a mess with her lunch (she's 10 months...just learning to eat.) He just kept looking at her and when I noticed, I apologized jokingly for her lack of table manners. He just smiled and said he loved watching her figuring things out. :bighand:

Tondi G
12-11-2009, 07:45 PM
thanks for the smile! It is so wonderful when people you least expect to say something nice comment on your mommy skills!!!

crl
12-11-2009, 08:00 PM
Isn't it great when stangers are so nice!

Catherine

AJP
12-11-2009, 08:59 PM
That's so nice. It sounds so dumb, but comments like this from strangers can really make my day sometimes!

MamaMolly
12-11-2009, 10:21 PM
Awwwwwwwww! I love that! Isn't it the greatest? And this time of year, too.

infomama
12-11-2009, 10:39 PM
What a beautiful reminder of the importance of a kind word or gesture and what it can mean to someone. It's the little things that make the greatest impact often times. Makes me think of the times someone stopped to pick up a fallen toy or sock from our stroller.
Kindness matters.

Corie
12-11-2009, 10:53 PM
Those kind words make my day!!

When we were in Disney last week, we were out to dinner at a really
nice restaurant. DH was telling the kids stories but we were all tired.
The days are long in Disney!
As we were leaving, a table with 2 older couples pulled me aside. The
woman wanted to tell me how wonderfully behaved my children were at
dinner. :) Made me smile. I told her that on any given day it can
go either way. She just got lucky that night. :)

But I greatly appreciated her telling me.

DrSally
12-11-2009, 11:49 PM
What a nice comment. It's nice when people are supportive.

jgenie
12-12-2009, 04:18 AM
Isn't great when people are nice?!!!

LexyLou
12-12-2009, 12:46 PM
That's so nice. I love the kindness of strangers.