PDA

View Full Version : Would you rather have 80 flowers or a store/restaurant gift card?

justlearning
12-11-2009, 08:15 PM
My son's school is planning a birthday celebration for a tutor who is a shared tutor between classes for a total of 80 students. She also directs traffic during carpool, etc.

The room parents from the classes decided to ask for donations that they would then use to purchase a flower for each kid to give her and then use the remainder money to buy a gift card to a store or restaurant. (Their intent was to make sure that every kid could give her something regardless of whether the parent donated.)

Well they have had not had many parents contribute to the pot so there's around $80 given so far (very sad considering the kids come from middle-class families). So, it looks like they're only going to buy her flowers with the money and perhaps get her a small gift card if they get more money.

Considering that the tutor gets paid $10 or less an hour, I think that I'd not be too thrilled if I were her to be getting 80 flowers that will die in a few days. I'd rather have the money (in the form of a gift card)! Would you have the same reaction as me or would you be thrilled to get a flower from each kid? (I'm especially interested in hearing a teacher's perspective.)

I will likely be a room parent next year so I'm curious to get feedback on this. TIA!

Snow mom
12-11-2009, 08:21 PM
Could each student draw her a picture (free!) and then you could use the money for a gc? That plan does sound pretty wasteful, but I've also never been a flower type. Another idea is to pick flowers (free!) but it's probably not the right season for that.

Swimfreak78
12-11-2009, 08:24 PM
What about having the kids draw pictures and a parent scanning them and putting them into a bound book (like Shutterfly) and then the rest in a GC. When I was student teacher for an elementary school class that was my favorite gift by far.

shawnandangel
12-11-2009, 08:30 PM
Oh I like Swimfreak's idea. I would suggest that.

Karenn
12-11-2009, 08:49 PM
As a teacher, I appreciated any token of thanks. Gift cards were my favorite, but I think the 80 flowers are a sweet idea too. Honestly, if I weren't getting the gift card, I'd prefer the flowers to some trinket or concrete gift. Flowers won't take up storage space. ;) I've got more books of student illustrations than I can count and while heartwarming at the time, I honestly, haven't looked at any of them in years. I do however, still remember some of the giftcards to nice restaurants that I got over ten years ago.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
12-11-2009, 09:01 PM
What about having the kids draw pictures and a parent scanning them and putting them into a bound book (like Shutterfly) and then the rest in a GC. When I was student teacher for an elementary school class that was my favorite gift by far.

Good idea. I am not a flower person...

firstbaby
12-11-2009, 09:38 PM
For DS's preschool class last year, they traced four or five outlines of each student's hands and rolled them loosely so they looked like flowers. They were secured down at the bottom (palm area) with tape or a pipe cleaner. They then "potted" the flowers in a terracotta pot that the students painted and sold them to us at the spring auction. You could do an outline of each students hand made into a flower and have the class(es) work on one or two painted pots. And then use all the money collected towards a GC. Good luck!

crl
12-11-2009, 09:43 PM
Giftcard. And maybe the kids could collaborate on one big card to give her so they could each "contribute"?

Catherine

vludmilla
12-11-2009, 09:48 PM
Oh dear, $80 in flowers! Noooo. I would think the woman could use the gift card much more than flowers.

kozachka
12-11-2009, 10:20 PM
DH gave me a ton of flowers for my important birthday this summer. I was not thrilled, I would have rather spent it on a pair of shoes or something else, something that lasts more than a week. DH was really upset I did not appreciate his grand gesture. So I don't think 80 flowers is a great idea.

Can you send reminders to parents to contribute more $$? I am betting a lot of them forgot about the gift drive in the hustle and bustle of the holidays.

JustMe
12-12-2009, 01:03 AM
Giftcard...or something else, but no I wouldn't think 80 flowers would be a good idea...maybe a small inexpenive bouquet with something else...

gatorsmom
12-12-2009, 01:13 AM
GC for sure. The flowers seem like such a waste for someone who could use the money.

fauve01
12-12-2009, 02:28 AM
GC for sure. The flowers seem like such a waste for someone who could use the money.

:yeahthat:

jgenie
12-12-2009, 03:49 AM
I :heartbeat: getting flowers, but I wouldn't want to give them to someone that could really use the money instead.

hollybloom24
12-12-2009, 10:45 AM
I say gift card!

wellyes
12-12-2009, 01:56 PM
When I read the first sentence or two I thought each student would bring a different flower- now that kind of gesture would be AWESOME. But an $80 bouquet from a flower shop is just - eh.

I :heartbeat: getting flowers, but I wouldn't want to give them to someone that could really use the money instead.

I probably wouldn't factor that into it, honestly. I'd give the gift based on what *I'd* want as an individual, not on what she might want as a person who makes less than I do. You never ever really know a person's financial situation.

LOVE the shutterfly of flower drawings idea!

GaPeach_in_Ca
12-12-2009, 02:57 PM
Well they have had not had many parents contribute to the pot so there's around $80 given so far (very sad considering the kids come from middle-class families).

A bit OT ...

I don't know why this is sad. We are middle-class and I would be put out for a request to donate to this, especially this time of year when I already feel a bit overwhelmed with gifts to teachers, day care providers, cleaners, etc.

I really appreciate our class parent collecting $10 at the beginning of the year which will be used for parties and end-of-year teacher gift, rather than asking for contributions all year long.

Anyways, I say gift card.

justlearning
12-12-2009, 03:47 PM
A bit OT ...

I don't know why this is sad. We are middle-class and I would be put out for a request to donate to this, especially this time of year when I already feel a bit overwhelmed with gifts to teachers, day care providers, cleaners, etc.

I really appreciate our class parent collecting $10 at the beginning of the year which will be used for parties and end-of-year teacher gift, rather than asking for contributions all year long.

$10 of that $80 was from me, so I did feel that it was sad that they had only collected $70 from five classes of 16 students each, including the money contributed by the five room parents (I'm not currently a room parent). My son's school is a charter school that has the advantage of smaller class sizes, but they pay the teachers and tutors significantly less than at other schools. So I do try to give to them to thank them (in the form of a Christmas gift, birthday gift, and end-of year gift), and I've been disapointed that more parents don't do the same. That's all.. I do like the idea of the room parents collecting a set amount of money at the beginning of the year from all parents, but his school really emphasizes not wanting parents to feel like they HAVE to contribute. That's why they try to make it feel completely voluntary and you give whatever you want to give, and then everyone gets the same amount of credit for the gift regardless of whether or not you donated anything. (By the way, I don't expect everyone to give her $10--that would be $800 if they did! But from past experience, I have come to expect that many parents won't give anything which is why I gave the $10. I will give more for his teacher's gift because there are only 16 parents involved with that gift, and I again expect that most won't contribute. I think the fact that the teachers will never know who gave what does lead some parents to just not bother donating, and that does bother me.)

I appreciate everyone's feedback on the flowers issue. I did go ahead and email my friend (the room parent for my son's class) to suggest that perhaps they could spend more money on the gift card and get a dozen roses instead of the 80. I also suggested that every kid could give her a handmade card (a picture or note). So I'll have to wait to see what they end up doing.

firstbaby
12-12-2009, 04:36 PM
A bit OT ...

I understand that it can be overwhelming with the number of people to thank around the holidays, but I would equate a classroom tutor to the teacher category. True, they are not with the class 100% of the time, but anyone who is a valued resource for my child is worth a thank you.

Justlearning, I am my son's room parent for preschool and I've only gotten $5 collected towards the teacher's gift so far. We only have one more class before we'll break for the year and I'm worried! I can relate to your sentiments...