PDA

View Full Version : how to keep baby warm?

lmh2402
12-11-2009, 10:43 PM
my son is still in his infant seat, but it's getting quite heavy to lug with him in there

but today i was grateful, even if it was heavy, b/c with the wind, it was a "real feel" of 15 outside

i know you're not supposed to bundle them with coats when they're strapped in, right?

so with the infant seat i was able to bundle him with blankets and a cover and just drag him from apt to car to doc office and then back

but when he's moved to a convertible, then what?

how do you keep them warm if you can't put heavy coats on?

thanks

infomama
12-11-2009, 10:52 PM
My dd's sit in their seats with coats on. I just make sure the straps are adjusted properly. I honestly wouldn't dream of removing coats unless the car was warm inside.

GraceH
12-11-2009, 10:53 PM
My first choice:
- put on coat backwards (velcro only, don't zip)
- go out to car and place in seat
- pull back open so child is directly in seat
- pull each arm out of coat, put through harness and back into sleeve
- secure harness
- tuck in sides of coat

My second choice:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLTVPqn0aR8
(you really shouldn't pick a winter coat as puffy as the one in the video though... stick with a thinner thinsulate/polar fleece variety)

I try to go with my first choice, but on days like yesterday when it's "real feel of NEGATIVE 10", the second choice wins due to less exposure

PS -- this is yet another reason I loved getting through 2 winters with my SS1/SR32/SR35!

o_mom
12-12-2009, 01:18 AM
We used a fleece coverall after the infant seat. I had one with a hood and built in mittens that was from Columbia, IIRC. If it was particularly windy, I added a windbreaker over it going to and from the car.

My older boys use thin coats for the car such as a Lands End Squall or a fleece w/windbreaker layer. The thickness of a coat is not a measure of warmth. The LE Squalls are very thin, but the are warmer than the puffiest of our other winter coats. I wear one myself in even the coldest weather here (which does get cold and windy, yesterday's bus stop temp was 9 deg without the windchill, -2F with the windchill).

We have a stash of blankets in the car to cover up so many times I put DS3 in the seat with no coat when we leave from the garage and just put a blanket over him. Then we put the coat on when we get somewhere. The blanket also allows them to kick it off once the car warms up and not get overheated. Another option is a 3-in-1 type jacket with a fleece inner and an outer shell. Use the outer one outside and then leave just the fleece on in the carseat. It doesn't take much to slip on the coat before getting in the seat or out of the car for us. Don't forget a hat and mittens which will really help keep them warm.