PDA

View Full Version : Can someone please clarify what "booster training" entails?

ged
12-12-2009, 12:15 AM
We are considering a HBB for my 4.75 year old, and it will be primarily used in the nanny's car. What specifically should I be relaying to my nanny (and to myself and DH) about how DD should be sitting? Thanks

bubbaray
12-12-2009, 12:35 AM
I would NOT have a nanny start booster training. I would have you or your DH do it. My DD#1 was a bit older than yours is (just over age 5) and highly motivated to have a pink seat (color I had promised to get her in a Monterey).

She had to not move around in the booster, "sit nicely". I taught her to buckle it herself and pull the belt over her upper thighs (not tummy) and no slack in it. The Monterey fit her so well that really, the belt placed itself. The key was to take a few slow trips around our subdivision so I could keep somewhat of an eye on her in the mirror. Some people have 1 parent drive and the other ride in the back seat for a couple of trips.

Once I had the pink Monterey, I kept the harnessed seat (grey Radian) close by as somewhat of a "threat" -- it still fits her and is still used as a travel or spare seat or one in the GPs car, so she knows if she d/n sit nicely, I'll swap out the Monterey and she'll have to earn it back.

ged
12-12-2009, 12:41 AM
Yeah, I don't know if I can train her, but DH can. Thanks for the idea to drive around the neighborhood first and watch her.

So primarily, I am looking for:
1. Sitting upright
2. Seatbelt across upper thighs and not tummy
3. No slack in seatbelt

Is there anything else? I have not seen any IRL, is it obvious where the seatbelt goes? Is there a path that keeps the shoulder part of the belt in the right location? Or, do you just let it fall where it falls? Also, does the lap belt portion have to be under or over the armrests? Sorry to have so many questions. Thanks!

o_mom
12-12-2009, 01:03 AM
Yeah, I don't know if I can train her, but DH can. Thanks for the idea to drive around the neighborhood first and watch her.

So primarily, I am looking for:
1. Sitting upright
2. Seatbelt across upper thighs and not tummy
3. No slack in seatbelt

Is there anything else? I have not seen any IRL, is it obvious where the seatbelt goes? Is there a path that keeps the shoulder part of the belt in the right location? Or, do you just let it fall where it falls? Also, does the lap belt portion have to be under or over the armrests? Sorry to have so many questions. Thanks!

In some seats it is very obvious where to put the belt, others less so. The best thing to do is read the manual closely before you use it. For a highback booster, usually there is shoulder guide that is kind of an open plastic loop to put the shoulder in. Also, usually the lap and shoulder belt go under the armrest on the buckle side, just the lapbelt on the other side. Again, read the manual to make sure. :)

As far as what to look for - you have the lapbelt positioning down, but keep an eye on the shoulder belt. The shoulderbelt should lie on the collarbone and not onto the neck or out on the cap of the shoulder. Most boosters tell you to place the headrest so that the beltguide is just above the shoulder. For some smaller/younger kids with narrower shoulders, this will place the shoulder portion too far out on the shoulder which could allow them to slip out of it in a crash. This is something to look for when trying out boosters.

Sitting upright you may have to explain to her. No leaning out to reach for toys/books, or to talk with friends, etc. If your seatbelts lock at the shoulder, you can lock them for the first few trips to help remind her to sit up. This also works well for reminders later (sit up or I'll lock your belt!) .

She also needs to sit with her bottom all the way back... when you pick out a booster, make sure it is not too deep so that her knees can bend comfortably over the front edge. Otherwise, she will slouch down to bend her knees over and that will put the belt up on her belly.

Let us know if you have more questions!

bubbaray
12-12-2009, 01:32 AM
Obviously, I need more sleep -- I thought you meant just what was booster training, not how to fit a booster. I don't have anything to add to omom's thorough post on booster fit. :bowdown:

bubbaray
12-12-2009, 01:34 AM
Also, one last thought. I actually borrowed a Monterey for training and had the uber-threat of not actually BUYING the seat unless DD#1 sat nicely. Obviously, not everyone has that option or the "house of Quassee" to borrow a seat from. LOL But, if you happen to know someone who has a booster that fits your DD that you can borrow, thats a nice stepping stone.

ged
12-12-2009, 03:04 PM
Fantastic info! Thank you both for your help!