PDA

View Full Version : Did you wear some sort of binding after

jgenie
12-12-2009, 04:32 AM
having DC? After I had DS, my mom kept insisting I should wear some sort of binding or girdle to get my stomach to go back to its prebaby shape and size. Is this outdated advice or still current? TIA

infomama
12-12-2009, 04:38 AM
Heck no. I wore comfortable nursing tops most of the time. The idea of forcing your post baby body into something constricting to 'get you stomach back' is just nonsense. Give yourself a break.

AJP
12-12-2009, 08:01 AM
I wore a stretchy pp support belt but it had nothing to do with getting my pre pregnancy belly back (LOLOLOL- still don't know where that is)! It was due to carrying almost 13 pounds of babies to 38 weeks and the strange feeling that caused after my c-section lol. My OB was insisting it wouldn't "help" anything other than how I felt with a big floppy belly, but that was the whole reason for it! I say let your body feel free and if you don't NEED it for discomfort then don't bother!

KrisM
12-12-2009, 08:17 AM
I did because I had a c-birth and it hurt to laugh, etc. But, only for a week or so and then I was fine.

But, if you find something that works, I'd gladly wear it now if I could get my stomach to prebaby size :)

JTsMom
12-12-2009, 09:30 AM
No way! I would have been miserable in something like that.

daisymommy
12-12-2009, 10:03 AM
Yeah, thats outdated advice. My mother, who used to be a nurse before I was born, asked me after having my first DS, "do you have your girdle?" I had no idea what she meant. She said back in her day, they put a girdle on all new moms after delivery because they thought it would help everything shrink back to size quicker. Oh brother! Poor mamas!

I have seen the ones for C-section mamas purely for comfort sake, but as far as for vaginal delivery mamas, there's really no point. Your body will go back in it's own time. Squishing everything in doesn't firm up your abdominal muscles!

Katigre
12-12-2009, 10:27 AM
Yes! It's actually becoming pretty common advice again and I found it worked wonderfully for getting my stomach flat again after DD :). It was nice to feel my abdomen so well-supported after birth - much more comfortable than after DS's birth when I didn't wear anything.

Here are a few links:
http://westmama.wordpress.com/2009/07/07/postpartum-belly-binding/
http://www.bellybandit.com/

SnuggleBuggles
12-12-2009, 10:31 AM
You know, I considered it. Didn't actually do it. I wouldn't have been uncomfortable, I don;t think and if it could have helped in some way I could see trying. I didn't hear enough that convinced me it would help. I think some women will bounce back well no matter if they wear something or not; it's mostly down to genetics.

Beth

Mommy_Again
12-12-2009, 12:09 PM
[QUOTE=daisymommy;2561135]Yeah, thats outdated advice. My mother, who used to be a nurse before I was born, asked me after having my first DS, "do you have your girdle?" I had no idea what she meant. She said back in her day, they put a girdle on all new moms after delivery because they thought it would help everything shrink back to size quicker. Oh brother! Poor mamas![QUOTE]

LOL, my grandmother, who also used to be a nurse, said the same thing. Quite loudly. While eyeing my not-so-flat tummy a week after birth. I asked my ob (heck, I'll wear spanx day and night if it means I can get rid of the flab faster) and he looked at me like I was crazy.

lchang25000
12-12-2009, 12:11 PM
You know, I considered it. Didn't actually do it. I wouldn't have been uncomfortable, I don;t think and if it could have helped in some way I could see trying. I didn't hear enough that convinced me it would help. I think some women will bounce back well no matter if they wear something or not; it's mostly down to genetics.

Beth

:yeahthat:

tnrnchick74
12-12-2009, 12:35 PM
I think some women will bounce back well no matter if they wear something or not; it's mostly down to genetics.

Beth

:yeahthat: I still wear my fave maternity shorts because the panel "smooths" the post-baby bump and their just plain comfy!!! But I'm one of those genetic losers who had a "baby pooch" even before getting pregnant!!! I think its VERY genetic as to how you "bounce" back. I follow my mom's patterns TO A TEE!!!

To the OP - look at your Mom. that will give you an idea how you will "bounce back". Sure exercise (especially abdominal work) will help...but we can't change our genetic makeup. If YOU think a girdle will help, then its more than likely going to. I firmly believe in the power of suggestion...

One last thing to think about...you are exhausted, spending every second taking care of DC, and you have to pee...do you REALLY want to mess with another piece of equipment around that area that will be sore for awhile??

Katigre
12-12-2009, 01:05 PM
you are exhausted, spending every second taking care of DC, and you have to pee...do you REALLY want to mess with another piece of equipment around that area that will be sore for awhile??
A belly binder doesn't interfere with peeing at all - it just wraps around your waist and velcros into place.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/211WEAQHZYL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

AnnieW625
12-12-2009, 01:12 PM
I never thought about it with DD, but when Brooke Burke was on DWTS last year and she talked about her belly band and it didn't seem to bee as thick or as the one posted above and I thought what the heck I think when I have another child I might give it a try. However I have recently tried on compression garments when I had just found out I was pregnant and I didn't really care for them so if these are as thin and not too binding it might be worth it.
http://www.babooshbaby.com/tauts.html

Dr C
12-12-2009, 01:17 PM
I can't speak for any kind of "girdle" (never tried one, have no desire to) but in my mind the best way to get back to your prepregnancy body is to breastfeed! At 20 calories per ounce and your babe drinks anywhere from 20-40 oz daily, that's an extra 400-800 calories daily that aren't going straight to your hips/belly/double chin!

AnnieW625
12-12-2009, 01:23 PM
I can't speak for any kind of "girdle" (never tried one, have no desire to) but in my mind the best way to get back to your prepregnancy body is to breastfeed! At 20 calories per ounce and your babe drinks anywhere from 20-40 oz daily, that's an extra 400-800 calories daily that aren't going straight to your hips/belly/double chin!

Unfortunately that doesn't work for all moms! After I lost the initial 6lbs of DD weight and then three weeks later I had lost a total of 23lbs (including DD's weight) I didn't lose another three or four lbs until DD was 6 mos. old. I was still 10lbs over what I was when I got pregnant with DD. I excercised pretty much every day, breast fed until 4 mos. and everything. While breast feeding I also pumped at least twice a day. I also think a lot of it has to do with genetics, and maybe the fact that I had a low milk supply.

I should add that I don't expect excellent results like Burke had because she probably paid a trainer $$$ too, but honestly $60 max for something that might work isn't that big of an issue for me.

DebbieJ
12-12-2009, 01:41 PM
the belly bandit is very popular.

I had a c-section with #2 and my OB recommended wearing something like bike shorts to keep everything up and tight and away from the incision.

m448
12-12-2009, 02:22 PM
I did it after #3 and yes belly binding is definitely coming back in American culture as it's always been a popular thing in some Asian and Latin cultures.

It's really less about some feeling that you have to bounce back in the looks area as it is about supporting your abdomen when your muscles are not there yet. I believe it's supposed to help prevent a severe diastasis issue as well. I know there are many women who get back to their everyday routine so early that doing a lot can aggravate the diastasis and prevent a normal healing.

Also like Katigre mentioned belly binding won't interfere with you having access to the bathroom. You can buy wraps, velcro and zipper or you can use thin, woven strips of cloth that firmly support but don't feel tight.

eta: I think belly binding is one of those things like midwifery care, extended PP periods and nursing that had a lot of important wisdom behind them and were then discarded or set aside for modern care. Yet when you look into the why people suddenly see the importance of what may seem outdated. Things like nursing right after delivery helping deliver the placenta, the contractions caused by latching on the first couple of weeks that in turn shrink the uterus. Giving a mom a babymoon that helps to establish nursing and gives her body a chance to heal. Many things discarded for modern wisdom which had a value and purpose before we even knew it.

brittone2
12-12-2009, 03:30 PM
Used a belly binder after having baby #2. I have had a diastasis since DS was born...being short and short in the torso, my babies push my tummy waaaaay out and I end up w/ split abdominal muscles.

Tupler has one of the leading programs on repairing diastasis issues post partum and she recommends a splint/abdominal binder, especially when doing a front carry w/ infants in a sling (and we babywear a LOT).

I will wear one again after this baby. For me it has nothing to do with trying to get a tiny waist back, and everything to do w/ supporting my abdominal muscles post partum so my diastasis doesn't get any wider.

Link to the Tupler website:

http://www.maternalfitness.com/

(eta: Ideally I'd recommend pairing the abdominal binder with a good postpartum exercise program...particularly if you have a diastasis (which is very, very common postpartum). The binder helps support the transverse abdominal muscles and bring them closer together while doing the appropriate exercises. Working with a physical therapist who specializes in postpartum/women's health issues or pursuing something like the Tupler Mummy Tummy program would be good options, because the wrong abdominal exercises can actually worsen the abdominal separation).

maestramommy
12-12-2009, 04:32 PM
I would've gotten something like the bellybinder if I'd known about it when Dora was born. I did wear some kind of underwear with compression for the belly and it really did help my lower back not to feel so fatigued. But I took it off after an hour because it made me sore "down there." The belly binder sounds much better. Since I found out about it almost 4 months after Laurel was born, it didn't seem worth it to spend $60. Instead I'm paying a PT to help me strengthen my abdominal core, which will actually help with all my issues, not just the belly pooch!

And yeah, like Annie, bfing does not equal total weight loss for me. My body really loves to hang onto those last 5-7 lbs until I'm way done!

MommyAllison
12-12-2009, 05:04 PM
I've heard excellent things about the Belly Bandit, and would probably try something like it if we have another baby.

hellbennt
12-13-2009, 11:38 AM
I wish I had known...hindsight is 20/20...
like a op, I have horrendous diastis recti- I carried my babies high and my stomach muscles are stretched out. there isn't anything to do I don't think, other than a tummy tuck at this point- which I'm not doing...
people still think I'm preggo, three yrs later :(
for me, it's up high, not low...
anyway, if I had it to do over again, heck yes! I'd research binding!

hellbennt
12-13-2009, 11:41 AM
Instead I'm paying a PT to help me strengthen my abdominal core, which will actually help with all my issues, not just the belly pooch!And yeah, like Annie, bfing does not equal total weight loss for me. My body really loves to hang onto those last 5-7 lbs until I'm way done!

question: PT= Physical Therapist or Physical Trainer?
that's what i need *sigh*

egoldber
12-13-2009, 11:57 AM
Interesting. I have never worn a binder, but I have always preferred to wear snug clothes after my c-sections...things like yoga pants and exercise shorts. Not super tight, but firm enough to give support. I found that really essential.

brittone2
12-13-2009, 12:05 PM

I have no idea if maestramommy is using a physical therapist or a personal trainer, but I would definitely use a physical therapist NOT a personal trainer to treat a medical condition like a diastasis recti if a woman has one. If someone is inexperienced w/ post partum care in women (especially things like a diastasis), they can actually make the condition WORSE, which would not be good. Ideally, a women's health physical therapist (someone who sees a lot of postpartum women) would be the very best option, or at least an outpatient physical therapist w/ some continuing education training in postpartum/women's health type issues. In general, there are personal trainers who are great at working with healthy populations, etc. but they generally do not need to have a college education (often can be certified without any university coursework at all). Some personal trainers have no minimum certification of any sort from any agency, let alone college coursework in a related field). Some personal trainers *do* have a college education but it may or may not be related to healthcare, biology, etc. (whereas a physical therapist has a minimum of a masters degree in physical therapy in order to be licensed, and licensure is required in order to practice. PTs are trained in working with people with various *medical* conditions). A personal trainer is also not trained to perform a thorough musculoskeletal evaluation like a physical therapist would be.

Many women don't even know they have a diastasis, and if you end up doing a ton of crunches, etc. for example you can actually make the condition worse.

Link to finding women's health PTs (there are other PTs that practice in outpatient practices that can address postpartum issues, but I'd look for someone w/ continuing ed coursework specifically in postpartum issues if you can). This is just one resource for finding a PT that can address post partum issues like a diastasis:
http://www.womenshealthapta.org/plp/index.cfm

twowhat?
12-13-2009, 12:20 PM
FWIW, I had a HUGE diastasis that was repaired by my OB during my c-section (as best as he could considering my ginormous uterus). I wore a binder for comfort (and because I *thought* it'd help my stomach go back to "normal"). Yes, it really helped for comfort after a c-section. NO it did NOT help my floppy belly! I carried nearly 13 pounds of babies, and they are 15 months old now, I'm back to within 5 pounds of my pre-preggo weight (still breastfeeding), and I STILL have my floppy belly. It ain't going away without further surgical intervention...

turtledove
12-13-2009, 09:31 PM
No, but I did have a random stranger suggest one to me after DD was born. :shrug:

m448
12-13-2009, 09:34 PM
FWIW, I had a HUGE diastasis that was repaired by my OB during my c-section (as best as he could considering my ginormous uterus). I wore a binder for comfort (and because I *thought* it'd help my stomach go back to "normal"). Yes, it really helped for comfort after a c-section. NO it did NOT help my floppy belly! I carried nearly 13 pounds of babies, and they are 15 months old now, I'm back to within 5 pounds of my pre-preggo weight (still breastfeeding), and I STILL have my floppy belly. It ain't going away without further surgical intervention...

Quite true which is why it's important to note that belly binding is for diastasis which is a muscular issue, definitely not a skin issue. That's why others have clarified on this thread that it's not about getting some mythical figure back but more about helping to support the abdominal area while it's weakened and to encourage it to return to a normal position which in turn helps our posture also affecting every aspect of your health.

maestramommy
12-13-2009, 09:54 PM

Physical Therapist. One of my friends is a personal trainer, and she gave me a whole bunch of postpartum exercises. But she lives in CA:p I was having a lot of pain in weird places. She suggested that my pelvis was out of alignment, and that I should see a physical therapist. The PT confirmed that I indeed have a misaligned pelvis, from carrying and pushing out 3 babies. She has been doing some adjustments, but most of the appt now consists of working with me doing exercises that will strengthen my abdominal core, which will prevent the pelvis from going out of alignment again. Apparently most women do suffer this malady to some extent, but many don't take care of it and come in YEARS later with some other area of pain. Usually it can be traced back to a weakened abdominal core that was never restrengthened. Interestingly enough, almost all of the exercises she has given me are identical to the ones given to me by my personal trainer friend. I do think she is an exception though. She spent a lot of time researching and building a post partum program for women, because she had a lot of her own issues after carrying 3 VERY LARGE babies and having one very traumatic delivery.

My PT also had a very traumatic first delivery, which resulted in a lot of problems requiring surgery to repair. She ended up going back to school to study up on helping post partum women on these issues. It is now one of her main areas of expertise. I think I'm lucky to have her.

gatorsmom
12-14-2009, 12:37 AM
Now that you mention this, I remember my mom saying this to me a long time ago- way before I was married or pregnant. Apparently she wore a girdle to get back down to size. She also had one of those machines with a band that goes around your belly and back that vibrates the fat off. LOL. None of that worked for her.

I did, in fact, where a support band but only after my twins were born. I carried nearly 13 lbs to 37 weeks and my skin, muscles, supportive tissue were very stretched out. The recovery from the c/section was very painful. The support band really helped with the pain. But 2 years out, I've still got "twin skin" down there, so clearly the support band didn't do much else. :tongue5: