PDA

View Full Version : For fun! Where would you stand in the BBB choir?

infomama
12-12-2009, 09:05 PM
I am a mezzo soprano....how about you??

marie
12-12-2009, 09:11 PM
first soprano here.

ThreeofUs
12-12-2009, 09:19 PM
Contralto here - put me with the deep voices, but I think I still have some range.

KathyN115
12-12-2009, 09:27 PM
I will fetch you guys drinks, food, etc. Otherwise I have no business being around people who can actually carry a tune. Even my 3 year old asks me to stop singing sometimes :hysterical:.

MMMommy
12-12-2009, 09:30 PM
No where. DH thinks I am tone deaf, and I can't carry a tune for the life of me.

Kymberley
12-12-2009, 09:39 PM
alto here, all ranges

wellyes
12-12-2009, 09:42 PM
I can (pretty much) sing the notes that appear on the scale, and maybe 3 notes up or down from it, but no beyond that. Not sure what that makes me.

I am a pretty good lip-sync faker though :) so I could sub in for anyone in a pinch!

fortato
12-12-2009, 09:43 PM
I'd be in the back with the trouble makers.

SnuggleBuggles
12-12-2009, 09:50 PM
Away from the microphone. I was in the chorus but wasn't good enough to make the show choir. I was a 1st soprano. I was, however, a good dancer so that landed me good dance parts in the musical. I cringe listening to some of the shows though because my spot was always front and center, closest to the mic. I hear myself loud and clear and I am honestly not the person that should have been in that spot! SHould have lip synced, for sure!

Beth

westgre
12-12-2009, 09:53 PM
I can't sing, but how about some accompaniment? I played flute through undergrad.

billysmommy
12-12-2009, 09:53 PM
I will fetch you guys drinks, food, etc. Otherwise I have no business being around people who can actually carry a tune. Even my 3 year old asks me to stop singing sometimes :hysterical:.

Me too.....lol :)

elliput
12-12-2009, 09:58 PM
I'm a mezzo, but sit with the altos in choir. :wink2:

bubbaray
12-12-2009, 09:59 PM
Well, I sing soprano, but realisitically I too would be in the back with the troublemakers....

eliasmom
12-12-2009, 10:03 PM
Well, I sing soprano, but realisitically I too would be in the back with the troublemakers....
:yeahthat:
I am pretty sure that describes me exactly.

Corie
12-12-2009, 10:09 PM
I'd be tail-gating in the parking lot.

maestramommy
12-12-2009, 10:16 PM
2nd soprano :p I can sing alto if necessary but my voice doesn't like it.

trales
12-12-2009, 10:18 PM
Seating people and in with the tone deaf can't carry a tone crew. But I would be clapping with reckless abandon.

sarahsthreads
12-12-2009, 10:22 PM
I used to be high soprano - every descant part that they only needed one or two voices for belonged to me! But the old saying "use it or lose it" definitely applies here, and at best I'd be mezzo soprano now. Actually, according to the wikipedia definitions, my range is solidly contralto: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vocal_range

I imagine if I really got back into singing on a regular basis (you know, something more than "Twinkle Twinkle" and "The Wheels on the Bus") I could get a bit of the upper range back...

Sarah :)

hellokitty
12-12-2009, 10:54 PM
Alto, but I can play the piano too. :)

Clarity
12-12-2009, 10:58 PM
I had no idea before you asked the question, but I thought it was interesting, and so did my dh. So, after reading a bit and listening, we've decided that we're pretty sure I'm a contralto.

How did you all know? Have you been members of a choir at some point?

infomama
12-12-2009, 11:04 PM
I was in choir. Started in the church choir when I was really young and I stayed in the school choir until I graduated high school. My mom is an award winning soprano (high school and college competitions, etc) and her voice is just amazing.

hez
12-12-2009, 11:07 PM
alto here, all ranges

Same here.

MamaMolly
12-12-2009, 11:08 PM
Hmmmm. I guess I'm an alto but while teaching Music Together I had to squeak it out in the soprano range. And I'd be getting in trouble for talking talking talking. :blahblah:

DrSally
12-12-2009, 11:09 PM
In the audience. I used to be able to carry a tune as a child in choir. Now, I'm sure I sound very flat.

maestramommy
12-12-2009, 11:12 PM
I had no idea before you asked the question, but I thought it was interesting, and so did my dh. So, after reading a bit and listening, we've decided that we're pretty sure I'm a contralto.

I was in choir in college, and was put in 2nd sop. In church or community choir I sometimes got put in 1st sop. because I could get up there and stay in tune:p But these days you would NOT want me to sing up there, even if I could!

sunshine873
12-12-2009, 11:27 PM
I used to be high soprano - every descant part that they only needed one or two voices for belonged to me! But the old saying "use it or lose it" definitely applies here, and at best I'd be mezzo soprano now.

:yeahthat: I was a soprano all through high school and college. Now, I'd say a mezzo. I like to think if I worked at it as regularly as I tell my students to then I'd get that high range back.

bluestarfish18
12-12-2009, 11:29 PM
I sang 2nd soprano for an all-state high school choir...but sometime during puberty (I was a late bloomer), my voice began to sound like a cross between dead cat and hyena. That when the piano and drumset came in.

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
12-12-2009, 11:45 PM

We could be making farting noises under our armpits.....

Twoboos
12-12-2009, 11:46 PM

I'll be with Corie...

mommyp
12-13-2009, 12:12 AM
I'm an alto. In high school I was a 2nd soprano, but I've been in two concerts in the last year and now there is NO way I can sing that high and I'm not even thinking about trying to get that part of my range back.

Fairy
12-13-2009, 12:33 AM
Very limited range. High alto/mezzo.

kozachka
12-13-2009, 12:38 AM
No where. DH thinks I am tone deaf, and I can't carry a tune for the life of me.

Me, too. I'll have to be either in the audience, or on the business side.

MontrealMum
12-13-2009, 12:45 AM
I have usually sung 2nd soprano, but technically I'm a coloratura. This question is very timely for me as I used to sing in a semi-professional choir, but left when I went back to school, and never went back due to DS. I really miss it, but it was also a social thing for me, and many of my friends have moved on. Lately, I have been thinking seriously about going back after the Christmas holidays, so maybe this is part of the kick in the rear that I need...I have a lot of work to do before my high notes are nicely supported again...goes along with that tummy-firming that I keep saying I'll do, but somehow don't :(

ETA: I'd probably be standing in the back as well. I've been there since I was 5 because I'm on the tall side...though there are lots of taller mamas here, so I'm not 100% sure of that.

thomma
12-13-2009, 08:27 AM
Alto and I sing all the time...shower, van, in my classroom. Just not a fan of big audiences! :)

Kim
ds&dd- 6

brittone2
12-13-2009, 10:25 AM
:yeahthat:

I have NOOOOO musical talent whatsoever. My oldest covers his ears when I sing at home LOL and now my newly 3 yo follows suit ;)

lizzywednesday
12-13-2009, 10:34 AM
Contralto; can double as a tenor if needed. Which is what I did in high school and again when they invited alumni to perform at the spring concert. Poor little boys didn't know what hit 'em!

My top range is very thin and kinda screechy right now, but, with a little work, I might be able to sing a bit higher.

p.s. - If we're talking height, get me on the top riser.

kransden
12-13-2009, 11:00 AM
Audience ;), I am a very poor singer.

mom2binsd
12-13-2009, 12:21 PM

I'll bring the beer....maybe later on we can sing a few tunes...

mommy111
12-13-2009, 12:57 PM
Is there any place for someone doing cominc relief? If not, I'd have to sit it out with good company (Corie, Dr.Sally,mom2binsd, kransden et al). Maybe I could announce that the choir is about to sing (and tangle myself in the mike cord doing so)? Like I said, comic relief is my forte ;)

Cam&Clay
12-13-2009, 01:16 PM
Ya'll would make me pass out the programs.

I sing so badly that when DS1 was about 2, he would cover his ears and say, "Noise!" when I'd sing in the car.

rlu
12-13-2009, 01:45 PM
In the audience with very good company. I sang in glee club in elementary school (but everyone in 5th and 6th was in glee club) and in jr high. I was in the jr choir at church but then I swear my voice changed and now I only sing in the car and lullabies at night for DS.

alexsmommy
12-13-2009, 02:46 PM
In the audience. I learned to play an instrument for a reason - I cannot sing!

Melaine
12-13-2009, 02:54 PM
I would also be in the audience. Or maybe at the concessions.

KBecks
12-13-2009, 03:27 PM
Alto 1. Confident singer, I could be a soloist in the BBB choir.

Indianamom2
12-13-2009, 03:58 PM
I used to be a first soprano, but since I've not been singing nearly as much, I'd probably be more comfortable as a mezzo-soprana these days.

Most likely though, I'd be playing for the choir on the piano!

daniele_ut
12-13-2009, 04:38 PM
I'd be the one running the lights, just like I do in real life! I work with one of the largest choirs in the country!

Happy 2B mommy
12-13-2009, 05:41 PM
Well, I've sung everything from 2nd saprano to alto to TENOR, in high school show choir and our community symphony choir and madrigal singers. I had a really big range, but these days I'd say alto or tenor. I have a very, very dark, bluesy voice, even in the upper parts.

Happy 2B mommy
12-13-2009, 05:42 PM
I'd be the one running the lights, just like I do in real life! I work with one of the largest choirs in the country!

I could run the sound board with you!

MelissaTC
12-13-2009, 07:34 PM

Standing right next to me, my friend. You know I would totally pinch you.

kdeunc
12-13-2009, 09:15 PM
I'll bring the beer....maybe later on we can sing a few tunes...

I sing soprano but I think I would have more fun with you and Corie! ;)

Sillygirl
12-13-2009, 11:48 PM
Can't sing a note. Actually, this time of year, I feel a little social awkwardness - can't join in carols, etc. And when we have friends over to play Rock Band I never take the mic, although I enjoy singing if it's just family around. Anyway, since we have some real singers here, I wanted to ask a question - would voice lessons help me at all? I mean I hear the notes I want to come out but I don't know how to make them, and my singing voice seems to come from high up in my throat, so it hurts after a few lines. Can a voice teacher at least make it so I can sing in big informal group settings without embarassing myself? I've been considering it for years and this thread made me think about it more.

Happy 2B mommy
12-13-2009, 11:57 PM
Can't sing a note. Actually, this time of year, I feel a little social awkwardness - can't join in carols, etc. And when we have friends over to play Rock Band I never take the mic, although I enjoy singing if it's just family around. Anyway, since we have some real singers here, I wanted to ask a question - would voice lessons help me at all? I mean I hear the notes I want to come out but I don't know how to make them, and my singing voice seems to come from high up in my throat, so it hurts after a few lines. Can a voice teacher at least make it so I can sing in big informal group settings without embarassing myself? I've been considering it for years and this thread made me think about it more.

Yes, voice lessons would help. Much of voice lessons for the beginner is learning how the body works to sing comfortably. If it hurts to sing I can tell you 2 things you are doing wrong. 1 you are putting a lot of tension in your neck and throat and 2, you aren't breathing properly.

lmintzer
12-14-2009, 12:07 AM
I'd probably be a 2nd soprano now. I've sung 1st (in H.S. and in college some), but I've lost some of the high end of my range).

I'd be in the front row. I'm only 5'2". I remember being disappointed in K (at my very first performance) that I had to stand on the floor below the first riser. It was totally crushing at the time. Ah, the drama of being 5!

dcmom2b3
12-14-2009, 12:19 AM
Is there a "tenor after a hard night" section? I sound like Andrea Bochelli after a bachelor party.

The use it or lose it theory is in play here. That F sharp above high C that I hit just once in my life when it counted is just a memory.

fortato
12-14-2009, 12:31 AM
Standing right next to me, my friend. You know I would totally pinch you.

You know... Pinching me would only cause me to sing loudly in my best Ethel Merman voice.