PDA

View Full Version : How many Santa presents?

toby
12-12-2009, 09:26 PM
There may be a post on this already...redirect me if there is.

What percentage of your DC's Christmas gifts are from Santa? That sounds weird how I wrote it, but I am trying to figure out what should be from Santa and what should be from us.

Thanks!

p.s. There is no one "big" gift since DS (5 yrs) just had a bday.

kristac
12-12-2009, 09:28 PM
Last year we did 3 each from Santa. This year I'm having a hard time dividing it that way so we will see.

fortato
12-12-2009, 09:46 PM
Four.

Whatever Jack asks Santa specifically for. This year it was Spike the Dinosaur and a Peppa Pig DS game, and a Batman toy, and a sister. (We're doing our best on that last one.)

SnuggleBuggles
12-12-2009, 10:57 PM
It is usually 2-3 and Santa brings the gifts that were most asked for. If it made it on the list to Santa then that is what Santa brings. There was a poll about this earlier in the week. I don't remember who made it or what day though, sorry!

Beth

belovedgandp
12-12-2009, 11:20 PM
Santa brings the big gift that isn't wrapped most years. We don't have anything like that this year. I try to get DS1 to get his Santa wish list down to one or two items. Santa usually brings a smaller number than the total gifts; about 1/3 from Santa and 2/3 from us.

This year Santa is bringing two wrapped gifts for both boys (Pixos for DS1 and puzzles for DS2), then stockings, and kid lawn chairs that won't be wrapped. I have five gifts for each boy wrapped for them from us.

They won't get much else. About 2 from my parents and one or two from my brother.

sarahsthreads
12-12-2009, 11:37 PM
We seem to be in the minority. Santa brings one gift per child, plus he fills everyone's stockings. Up until this year we were having DD1 pick just one thing to ask Santa for, but this year we told her to pick a couple of things that Santa could choose from. She wound up asking for pink ice skates and roller skates with training wheels (?) and I have it on good authority that she is getting the ice skates. ;)

We do the "something you want, something you need, something to wear, something to read" thing for each child from us. So they get one Santa gift, four gifts from us, and a stocking (and those are little things like new colored pencils, finger puppets or magic doll bottles). Sounds simple, right?

Except... There's two sets of grandparents, two sets of great-grandparents, four sets of aunts/uncles, several great aunts and uncles, and a couple of friends that give gifts to our kids, too. So Christmas morning it looks like a toy store exploded at our house! (Not that I'm not grateful, really, I am, but boy, that's a *lot* of new stuff to find places to store!)

I'm also slightly concerned that this year she'll be comparing with other kids in school about what Santa brought, and wonder why everyone *else* got more than one Santa gift...especially since it seems like we're definitely in the minority on this one...

Sarah :)

bubbaray
12-12-2009, 11:49 PM
We're doing one Santa gift here AFAIK (DH often brings home stuff at the last minute).

firstbaby
12-13-2009, 12:20 AM
Santa brings them each one big present and they get 2 from us. Santa also fills stockings. We have a lot of family that buys for them also so it gets a little crazy :)

mommyp
12-13-2009, 12:54 AM
Santa's doing one gift, plus the stockings. We have a lot of family that are buying for her though, so Santa's gift is not the "biggest" thing this year. We haven't talked up Santa much though, and she didn't ask for stuff exactly, we have just been watching her interest in things and bought/put it on the list for family accordingly.

MoJo
12-13-2009, 07:16 AM
Santa brings one gift per child, plus he fills everyone's stockings.

Here, too! And I never had a problem with that growing up.

Here, it's usually the biggest, most in need of construction, or hardest to wrap gift. . . because the gift from Santa goes under the tree without paper.

What we and other family members give varies greatly from year to year.

khalloc
12-13-2009, 08:17 AM
We never had any rules on what Santa brought us when I was a kid. I remember a mix of Santa gifts and also ones from Mom & dad.

I don't limit the Santa presents - though I know my husband would LOVE a rule where Santa only brought X number of gifts. I guess I have about 12 gifts for each kid, last year they were all form Santa. Maybe this year I will tag some as from M&D.

ezcc
12-13-2009, 10:31 AM
also one from santa (what they ask for) plus stockings. A few from mom and dad and they also buy for each other.

jjjo1112
12-13-2009, 01:52 PM
We are in the minority for sure, but Santa brings almost all of our gifts. Christmas Eve the kids get one present from us (the parents) and then on Christmas morning all of the gifts are from Santa. They also get gifts from family members either on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, dependent on when we see them.
Jackie
DS 9/05
DD 12/06
DD 2/09

rlu
12-13-2009, 01:53 PM
We seem to be in the minority. Santa brings one gift per child, plus he fills everyone's stockings. Up until this year we were having DD1 pick just one thing to ask Santa for, but this year we told her to pick a couple of things that Santa could choose from.

I'm also slightly concerned that this year she'll be comparing with other kids in school about what Santa brought, and wonder why everyone *else* got more than one Santa gift...especially since it seems like we're definitely in the minority on this one...

Sarah :)

This is us as well, except we have DS give a short list for Santa to pick from. We also tell him Santa checks with us so no dog or horse etc without our say so.

I am a little worried about the comparison at school this year. Need to talk to DH how we'll respond if it comes up.

WitMom
12-13-2009, 02:49 PM
I'm with jjjo. Santa brings almost everything. My DDs exchange between themselves (one gift each), my husband will have something for me from DDs, and I will have something for him from DDs. Everything else on Christmas morning is from Santa. There will also be a few gifts from the grandparents, but those will be given whenever we see them.

wellyes
12-13-2009, 03:38 PM
Santa brings it all. For DD, since she's not even to, "all" will mean maybe 5-6 gifts (if I can restrain myself from peaking at the bargains forum too much).

fivi2
12-13-2009, 04:13 PM
Santa usually brings one big sharing gift (usually the hard to wrap gift) last year a kitchen, this year a dollhouse. (I have twins). Then Santa gives maybe a couple smaller individual gifts - this year a favorite book, umbrellas, and dollhouse furniture. Then stockings - usually coloring books, art supplies, candy canes, lip gloss, socks, etc. small things. (Target dollar spot, Michael's dollar aisle, World Market little games and stuff.)

Then dh and I do maybe 1 biggish gift for each dd (this year a duplo set and a Calico critters set) and then a couple smaller things - puzzles, books, board games.

But the Grandparents go way overboard!