PDA

View Full Version : gift ideas for 14 yo niece?

ncat
12-13-2009, 12:44 AM
We don't see DN very often and have avoided sending gifts after many failures to receive thank you notes or any other form of gift acknowledgment. We will see her at Christmas and feel that we should bring a little something for her. SIL (DN's mother) has serious religious views that do not match those of the rest of the family, so we also worry about giving gifts that SIL may not approve of (e.g. dinosaur anything, Harry Potter). DN is homeschooled by SIL.

What has universal appeal for 14 yo girls? What do really sheltered 14 yo girls like?

infomama
12-13-2009, 12:51 AM
Diary/journal/notecards
Books
Music
Cuddly robe/flannel pj bottoms

caleymama
12-13-2009, 11:09 AM
I was going to suggest a pretty journal/diary also. There are a lot to choose from at B&N, if you wanted to choose one in person. Maybe a pretty pen and/or set of colored pencils or pens to go with it? Notecards are a great idea too. I've given both in recent years to my 15yo cousin and she is not particularly sheltered - pretty conventional actually.

maydaymommy
12-13-2009, 11:39 AM
I was going to suggest some sort of magazine subscription, but that is probably out with the family's religious views.

What about some type of little pendant necklace? Maybe with her first initial?

ncat
12-13-2009, 11:46 AM
Notecards sound nice - hard to offend anyone. Not sure they would ever get used, but worth a try!

MontrealMum
12-13-2009, 04:09 PM
I've gone through similar difficulties with my 15 yr old nephew (DH's side, not mine). I realize you're buying for a girl, and I'm buying for a boy, but some things are more "universal".

Sometimes I'll do a g/c to either a bookstore or speciality sporting goods store - both of which I know he likes to shop at, but he doesn't have much, if any, money of his own. He really likes g/c. I don't like to try to guess at books because I spent years getting the *wrong* ones. When the BPA water bottle thing hit, I had a great year outfitting people with KK and Camelbaks. I have also done stationary and notecards - which I will admit was somewhat motivated by lack of either verbal, email, or written thank you. I don't need much, but not even a grunt makes me a little grumpy after a decade or so. I tend to stay away from clothing because I got that *wrong* too, but for a girl I might consider a small accessory - earrings, hair clips, tote bag - that type of thing.

lizzywednesday
12-13-2009, 04:22 PM
My cousins Nora and Sarah are in this age range and situation (Nora will be 16; Sarah will be 14, my aunt is very conservative and home-schools all 5 of my cousins ... although they write thank you notes!)

What I have done in the past are books I enjoyed at those ages. Some that have been big hits with both my cousins and my aunt are:

* Anne of Green Gables books (LM Montgomery)
* Grandma's Attic books (Arleta Richardson)
* The Ordinary Princess (MM Kaye)
* Enchanted (Levine)
* Jacob Have I Loved (Katherine Paterson)

I also like to know what they're into ... right now, they dance, so I've been asking them questions about dance lessons, camp and performances.

Nora was also a (junior) bridesmaid in my wedding ... for her gift, I gave her some inexpensive silver-tone bangle bracelets, a nice hair clip from H&M, makeup (eyeshadow & lipstick by American Beauty, lipgloss by Flirt) and makeup brushes (Flirt brand by Kohl's - a $10 travel brush set) but I cleared it with my aunt first.

Tondi G
12-13-2009, 06:38 PM
movie theater tickets pack (2 tickets, 1 lg popcorn and 2 drinks) or gift card

target gift card

Barnes and Noble gift card

Jen841
12-13-2009, 07:45 PM
Nice water bottle
Personalized Stationary (maybe you could get a Thank you)
Address book (getting to that age)
Vera Bradley something