PDA

View Full Version : How much should we "prep" DD for MRI?

Kyras mom
12-13-2009, 03:49 AM
6yo DD is going to have an MRI requiring sedation next wednesday. I think we should tell her a little bit about it, but she does get very anxious. I don't want her to worry, but she will definately know somethings up when we get her out of bed and put her in the car at 6:15 in the morning without having breakfast!

I think talking to her about it the night before would be best (better than not talking about it at all).

Anyone have BTDT advice with MRI's and kids? I'm hoping any non-metal toys (stuffed or plastic animals) would be okay to have with her during the procedure.

Is it routine in pediatrics to use the lidocaine skin prep before IV catheter placement? The anesthesiologist is supposed to call us a few days before.

She is being worked up for "precocious puberty". We haven't told her anything about why she's been having bloodwork, an ultrasound and numerous physical exams as of late. I think I'll say something like, "the doctor said that you might have a growth spurt soon, and it's too early for that so we need to stop it, otherwise you could end up as a small adult". Definatley need to fine tune that, but that is one of the fears: that her growth would peak too early, and she would be very short in stature.

Thanks for reading.

Ceepa
12-13-2009, 09:42 AM
I wouldn't go into too much detail about what may be the diagnosis. I would focus on the testing part so she's not overwhelmed right now. Maybe explain that doctors can use special equipment to check all parts of our bodies, even the soft insides (similar to an X-ray with bones), to make sure everything is working the way it should. Doctors don't usually have that special equipment in their regular offices so they have their patients meet them at the hospital.

Does the hospital allow a pre-visit visit? Ours did this for young patients to come in the days before, talk to the nurses, see the rooms. It was super child-friendly and helped us all know what to expect. I also picked up some books at the library about hospital procedures (a children's librarian can point you in the right direction) and we played doctor with our toy kit a lot in the days before. Of course, some sensitive kids may be overwhelmed about all this prep so you'll have to do what's right for your DD.

We also picked out a soft new outfit to wear to and from the hospital. In our case we bought new pajamas and that was fine.

And kids sense fear so be very reassuring, gentle and relaxed (at least project that to DD ;) )

jess_g
12-13-2009, 09:43 AM
My son had an MRI with sedation last year and he did fine. I would tell her at least the day before that she is going to the hospital to have the MRI (or as I told my son pictures taken of your insides) and tell her a bit about what will happen. In my sons case he climbed up on the stretcher and they put a mask on his mouth and he was out. When he woke up he was in the recovery room with a nurse and me. He stayed in the recovery room for about an hour and then they released him and we went home. He was realy droggy on the way home but otherwise he was fine. They even gave him a prize at the end which was nice.

The hard part for my son was that he ate a cracker in the morning (one cheese it) and then we had to wait until 4 pm for the MRI so the cracker could get out of his system. Keeping him out of the kitchen all day without any food was tough. The next MRI we are trying without sedation but I don't know how he will do with it. It looks like my son will need one MRI each year to watch his condion until he has surgery.

Hope this helps some,

ETA: My son was 9 when he had this MRI.

Jessica.

MamaMolly
12-13-2009, 11:02 AM
One of my friends IRL had to help her DD with an MRI. They did a lot of pretend play. She used a mask her husband had for cutting the grass for the anesthesia mask. She said the doctors were amazed because the kids usually fight putting the mask on, but her DD just climbed right up on the table and was fine.

I used this same technique to ease DD's fears about getting a blood draw. We use an old medicine despensing syringe, a ribbon to 'tie' off her arm, bandaids and everything. It *really* helped ease DD's fears. We'd had a VERY bad, traumatic blood draw before that and I was very worried how DD would be, but she was fine. She didn't like it, but she was brave. Good luck, Mama!

JenaW
12-13-2009, 02:50 PM
My DH is an anesthesiologist and they nearly ALWAYS give the kids sedation through the mask first, THEN do the IV after they are asleep. For 5 and under, he says this is the rule at his hospital. 6 and up, they go by the kid. If they seem anxious or particularly nervous about the IV, they'll mask them first. If they seem tolerant of the IV, they can do the sedation that way. Of course this is provider dependent too. If you think your daughter would do better with one over the other, I would definitely talk to the anesthesia provider about that when they call you.

As for telling her before, I agree with what others have said. From my experience with my own kids (incl my 6yo DS, who is extremely intelligent and mature, but also overly analytic and occasionally anxious) we did wait until the night before. I think the most important thing is that YOU try and remain calm and free of anxiety. I know when I have been able to act like it is no big deal, my kids usually respond the same way. This has been true for nearly all medical procedures, ranging from immunizations to surgery. There may be a quick moment of panic when they take her from you for the MRI. However, most pediatric personnel are used to this, and will work fast to get the child sedated and comfortable. With the mask/inhalation anesthetics, crying is not a bad thing...it gets the medicine into their lungs faster and gets them asleep quicker. Most of the time, you will be right there when they wake up, and that should help to reassure them that everything is fine.

Good luck! I am sure everything will go smoothly, and I hope you get good news from the results.

hillview
12-13-2009, 05:43 PM
My son had an MRI. I'd just tell her the BASICS like they are going to give you a quick shot and then you will fall asleep. Mom will be with you the whole time. I wouldn't get into the dx AT ALL. Just doc is keeping you healthy sort of level.
HUGS
and good luck!
/hillary