PDA

View Full Version : Please help need gift for 5 year old

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
12-13-2009, 10:56 AM
We are having a small Christmas but I still feel like need something more for Nick. So far I have a Richard Scary book. colorforms and a microscope. He does not like legos, we have magnatiles and geotrax. I HATE trying to 'find' something to buy. Any ideas, please???

elliput
12-13-2009, 11:01 AM
Something sports related maybe? A set of balls, basketball hoop, soccer goal, t-ball tee?

bluestar2
12-13-2009, 11:08 AM
How about these?

board games such as Sorry or Monopoly Jr
stuffed animal
Razor scooter
art supplies
a fun outing

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
12-13-2009, 11:12 AM
Something sports related maybe? A set of balls, basketball hoop, soccer goal, t-ball tee?

I would love to do this but not in the winter. Thanks for the help!!!

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
12-13-2009, 11:14 AM
He got a ton of art supplies for his birthday as that is what he loves to do, His fav ( big) gift was a set of 48 interchangeable shape punches from JoAnn fabrics. I wonder if there is a hand held game system he would love?

Momof3Labs
12-13-2009, 11:23 AM
Blokus!!

My DS1 loved his Leapster at that age. If you want to spend more, some kids use the Nintendo DS at 5yo.

Tondi G
12-13-2009, 03:37 PM
Bakugan?

Matchbox pop up playset

hotwheels 3 lane downhill raceway or roll up raceway

stomp rocket

walkie talkies

AmyZ
12-13-2009, 04:53 PM
sodoku sticker books from amazon?

games - sorry, monopoly jr, castle logix (i've seen it at tjmaxx for $10), trouble, guess who

brittone2
12-13-2009, 05:11 PM
DS (about to turn 6) likes:
Playmobil
anything car related (is going to get a Darda track for Christmas)
games-another vote here for Blokus
books (DK Eye Wonder and DK Eyewitness are great for non fiction)
science kits
snap circuits, snap circuit rover
and some things you already mentioned that won't work for you like Lego and Magnatiles.

kristac
12-13-2009, 05:22 PM
blutrack?
matchbox megarigs or imaginext?

jamesmom
12-13-2009, 05:56 PM
Lots of great suggestions in previous posts.

How about some books in the Magic Treehouse series or a first encyclopedia?

DS also loves his Leapster and there are lots of great programs for it. He also likes science kits, which could be a good complement to the microscope.

spanannie
12-13-2009, 06:12 PM
A nice set of Dominoes. G loves playing Dominoes.
My kids also enjoy playing Pictureka, and it's on sale at Target this week.

There are these great dinosaur and dragon stick on mosaics at Learning Express and those have always been a hit with my kids and for gifts.

jayali
12-13-2009, 06:14 PM
Matthew is the same age. He is getting some Brain Quest Cards, Juggle Balls and a Bean Bag Chair. I was also thinking a Science Kit and a new board game. We love Guess Who - is is our "go to" birthday party gift.

I didn't think we had enough for Matthew either, but then we went through the shelves in the family room and as we were sorting through I realized that he played with very little of the stuff he has - he would rather write in his journal or read, so like you I am stuck between feeling like he is "not getting enough" and not wanting to buy him things for the sake of buying them. Crazy, isn't it?

ett
12-13-2009, 06:15 PM
Does he like doing puzzles?

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
12-13-2009, 07:39 PM
Does he like doing puzzles?

He does love puzzles but got some in Nov for bday. He LOVES the new United States puzzle.

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
12-13-2009, 07:39 PM
Matthew is the same age. He is getting some Brain Quest Cards, Juggle Balls and a Bean Bag Chair. I was also thinking a Science Kit and a new board game. We love Guess Who - is is our "go to" birthday party gift.

I didn't think we had enough for Matthew either, but then we went through the shelves in the family room and as we were sorting through I realized that he played with very little of the stuff he has - he would rather write in his journal or read, so like you I am stuck between feeling like he is "not getting enough" and not wanting to buy him things for the sake of buying them. Crazy, isn't it?

We got "Guess Who" at birthday, it is a great game!

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
12-13-2009, 07:47 PM
A nice set of Dominoes. G loves playing Dominoes.
My kids also enjoy playing Pictureka, and it's on sale at Target this week.

There are these great dinosaur and dragon stick on mosaics at Learning Express and those have always been a hit with my kids and for gifts.

Annie, thanks, I am looking at the Pictureka, have not yet heard of that game and it looks good!

firstbaby
12-13-2009, 09:33 PM
I second a PP's suggestion for playmobil. I saw the fire truck at Target the other day for $20. The vehicles have been the biggest hit in our house. You can also usually find PM in HomeGoods or TJ Maxx.

What about Rush Hour or Rush Hour Jr? Or an Art Portfolio if he just got a bunch of art supplies?

spanannie
12-13-2009, 11:01 PM
Annie, thanks, I am looking at the Pictureka, have not yet heard of that game and it looks good!

Pictureka is Where's Waldo-esque, so I would think that would kill 2 birds w/ one stone!