PDA

View Full Version : Healthy Snack Items for Gift Basket?

MommyofAmaya
12-13-2009, 11:53 AM
We are planning to get two sets of semi-diabetic grandparents baskets filled with healthy snacks. Any great items we should include?

Sadly we are short on ideas (and no TJ's, but we do have WF). I am willing to order online. So far we have fruit, nuts, Vitatops, and lower sodium pickles. They aren't crazy about chocolate.

Thanks for any input.

twowhat?
12-13-2009, 12:24 PM
Those Veggie Crunchers (the ones made from real veggies) from Costco are deeeelish!!

deannanb
12-13-2009, 02:31 PM
How about some popcorn -
and a gift card to Blockbuster too

Melaine
12-13-2009, 02:35 PM
Banana chips or dried apples? Oh, and clementine oranges if you hadn't thought of that already.

Seitvonzu
12-13-2009, 03:50 PM
coming from a diabetic here-- fruit actually counts against me :( it's still something they say is "good" for me, sorta, but i have to choose between things like cookies and apple chips- it's just reality. real fruit is better than apple chips or dried fruit (usually added sugar there), but it's still something i have to watch. this time of year, it's very hard to choose an orange or grapefruit(even though grapefruit is just about my favorite thing in the world) when i'm looking at a peanut butter bonbon....

that said-- Nuts. Nuts. Nuts. my favorite thing in the WHOLE WORLD right now is the honey roasted fresh ground peanut butter from whole foods :) YUMMYYUMMY (and not too much worse than regular peanut butter (which i also love :)

i'm also LOVING snack pea crisps-- those things are FABULOUS. they also don't have tootoo much carb per serving, AND there are very few servings in a bag (in case you do go overboard).

what about special teas or coffee? i'm loving gingerbread coffee right now because it gets me a bit of a "sweet/holiday" treat without any carbs at all. there are so many delicious herbal holiday teas that can fullfill the same craving (but nothing makes up for cookies unfortuantely!)

good luck!

Seitvonzu
12-13-2009, 03:51 PM
oh- if you do get the clementine oranges, try to get the smallest ones-- good portion control or you can have TWO :) a big bonus in my view (it's the little mind games we play,isn't it? :)