PDA

View Full Version : Would your DH carry this bag?

JenaW
12-13-2009, 02:18 PM
http://www.reusablebags.com/store/flip-tumble%E2%84%A2-reusable-shopping-solid-p-1766.html

Thsy show a pic of a man carrying the black one, which is the one I would get, but I am worried that my DH might think its too purse-like. I am looking for something for him to use as a lunch bag. Right now he uses plastic grocery bags, which we are nearing the end of our supply since I have switched totally to envirosax. He doesn't want a regular lunch bag because he says it is too hard to carry, as he has a long walk from where he parks to the locker room. This looks nice, has a padded strap, would hold as much or more than a plastic grocery bag, and can be folded up and tucked into his pocket for the home walk.

What do you think? I am already ordering the birght orange retro graphic envirosax bag from here for me, and thanks to another poster I have a 10% code, so the price is not bad...

J

kijip
12-13-2009, 02:22 PM
Yes. He would. My husband is strongly inclined to carry anything that has lunch in it.

new_mommy25
12-13-2009, 02:31 PM
Mine would, but mine also carries my flowery envirosax bags without complaint. :)

Melaine
12-13-2009, 02:33 PM
I think I could get my husband to carry it from his car about 20 steps into his office and stick it under the desk. However, if he had to walk to work or had any kind of "public" commute at all then NO, I can't picture him doing so. Of course, this is a guy who would fold his clothes very neatly and place them in the trunk with absolutely no bag for overnight trips.

g-mama
12-13-2009, 02:37 PM
Mine would.

JenaW
12-13-2009, 02:37 PM
Thanks. I went ahead and ordered the black one. Worse case scenario, I have another reusable bag to add to my stash....not a bad thing :)

My husband will carry something "girly" if I am nearby and it is clear he is carrying something that is mine. I had a pink cord skip hop for DD2 and he had no problem carrying it if I was right there. Same with the pink stripe escape pod I still use now as my purse. However, for work I am obviously not by his side, and I am not sure if he would think it is too purse-like. We'll see what happens when he opens it. Thanks!

J

caleymama
12-13-2009, 03:09 PM
Yeah, I think mine would no problem. Especially if it had lunch in it! He carries all manner of reusable grocery bags for various things, not just limited to grocery shopping.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
12-13-2009, 03:10 PM
Mine would, but mine also carries my flowery envirosax bags without complaint. :)

:yeahthat:

bubbaray
12-13-2009, 04:21 PM
Not a chance. I just showed him photo. Definitely NO.

JenaW
12-13-2009, 05:25 PM

Bummer. Did he say why? Was it too "purse-ish?"

J

caleymama
12-13-2009, 05:27 PM

LOL, I showed my DH after replying yes above and his reply was a wrinkled up nose and "too purse-y" so I guess I was wrong! The fold-up function would be lost on DH anyway because he packs his food in pyrex or gladware containers so they still take up room even when empty.

JenaW
12-13-2009, 05:30 PM
The fold-up function would be lost on DH anyway because he packs his food in pyrex or gladware containers so they still take up room even when empty.

DUH (hitting head) I forgot about that part. Hubby said he loves his plastic bags because he can throw them out when he's done. I thought the little ball would fit in his coat pocket. I even out in my original post looking for a lunch bag that I almost alwayse use containers because we are doing away with baggies too. SIGH.

bubbaray
12-13-2009, 05:33 PM
Did he say why? Was it too "purse-ish?"

Yes, looked like a "bag" (meaning purse, not a grocery bag, which he to sometimes takes his lunch in b/c he forgets the lunchbag at work at least 2x/w).

caleymama
12-13-2009, 05:58 PM
DUH (hitting head) I forgot about that part. Hubby said he loves his plastic bags because he can throw them out when he's done. I thought the little ball would fit in his coat pocket. I even out in my original post looking for a lunch bag that I almost alwayse use containers because we are doing away with baggies too. SIGH.

Awww, well like you said it will make a nice reusable bag for other stuff. Or it may still appeal to him as a lunch bag. Especially if you are moving to reusable containers. We were posting at the same time, but I linked to 2 lunch boxes w/ shoulder straps in your other post (one at LL Bean, one at LE).

Also, I know you were shopping at reusablebags.com, but did you like this (http://www.reusablebags.com/store/acme-bags%E2%84%A2-made-insulated-lunch-medium-p-1254.html) one or this (http://www.reusablebags.com/store/acme-bags%E2%84%A2-insulated-lunch-recycled-medium-p-940.html) one at all? They have a should strap and would collapse flatter than either of the other 2 I linked to when empty. They're also not as "fussy" as those - not as many bells & whistles, which can be a good thing.

We have a couple of Built NY lunch bags that DDs use sometimes, and I see that they make one with a shoulder strap (http://www.builtny.com/lunch-shoulder-bag/extra-relish-lunch-tote.html). They are nice b/c they are really light and machine washable. In black it would be plenty masculine.

MommyAllison
12-13-2009, 06:11 PM
I think DH would carry that, but he used to wear a black messenger bag every day, so this doesn't seem *too* different from that, to me.

hellokitty
12-13-2009, 07:39 PM
My DH would probably do it, but not on a normal basis. He has worn my vera bradley backpack (diaper bag) when he took DS3 to the ped before, but he said he only did it, b/c it was obvious that it was a diaper bag, b/c he had the baby with him, lol.

TwinFoxes
12-13-2009, 09:26 PM
I have two flip and tumbles (they are great btw) and if your DH is even slightly inclined to not want to carry a pursey bag, he won't like it. They look really purse like. I just asked DH, who is not Mr. Image Conscious, said no (although I knew the answer before I asked). They look nothing like a messenger bag IRL. They look more like a Le Sak.

http://www.thesak.com/images/dot.gif

Sorry!

DH uses the large Acme lunch bag and likes it.

kijip
12-13-2009, 10:08 PM
I showed my husband and he said that he is man enough to carry it in any color, lol. Of course dude carries a murse 1/2 the time so take that in to consideration. Not a lot phases him.

Dr C
12-13-2009, 10:20 PM
Mine said "no...(snide expletive deleted)... because it looks like a Kate Spade purse"

TwinFoxes
12-13-2009, 10:50 PM
http://www.reusablebags.com/store/flip-tumble%E2%84%A2-reusable-shopping-solid-p-1766.html

This looks nice, has a padded strap, would hold as much or more than a plastic grocery bag, and can be folded up and tucked into his pocket for the home walk.

J

I meant to comment on this in my other post and forgot. The strap is barely padded. It's got a little felt-like patch on it. It certainly doesn't help cushion a heavy load of groceries. I do really like my bag, but "padded" is a bit of an overstatement if that's what the company is calling it. It's more like a patch to stop it from sliding.

Also, in that pic of the guy carrying it, he must have something stiff in there, like a book, because the material is very soft and flexible, and wouldn't stay square like that, which adds to the purse-like quality.

fortato
12-14-2009, 12:35 AM
Oh Hell yes.

I make him carry my pink one. I LOVE my flip and tumbles. They hold a ton of stuff, and are awesome for travel when you don't want to bring a big diaper bag.

JenaW
12-14-2009, 09:27 AM
I LOVE the "murse" comment!!! Too funny.

Thanks for all the replies. I wish I had seen the flip and tumbles BEFORE I invested in a ton of envirosax, both for myself and to give as gifts. I use my monochromatic envirosax EVERYWHERE. But I'd LOVE a pink flip and tumble.

As for hubby, well.....one never really knows with him. I did like the look of the lunch bags with a shoulder strap, but I pack a lot for him (often 3 full meals plus snacks) because on call days he can be at the hospital from 4am through midnight or later. He is a BIG guy and requires a lot of calories to keep him running. He always gets a packed breakfast, because he will usually eat it after the gym (if he goes that morning) or a bit later, if he gets a morning break. He says 4am is too early to think about food! I supply him with EVERYTHING, including his non-coffee caffeine, a reusable water bottle, quick snacks he can leave in his pocket (granola bars, nuts, etc), meals that he can eat on the run, big meals that he can heat up and sit down to eat... He never knows what his schedule will be like, and he often does not get set breaks to eat. Also, depending on his location within the hospital, he may not have the time to run all the way back to the staff break room to get his food, so I try to give him some things he can throw in his lab coat and keep with him all day. He usually leaves the house looking like he has enough food for an entire weekend! I am dying right now just to show DH and ask him. I am absolutely horrible at keeping things from him. I usually ruin all surprises, and always wait until the last possible minute to do anything for him. I've already ordered it, although if he refuses to use it, I'd wish I had another color besides black. It sounds like the shape, etc are pretty similar to the envirosax, so I am hoping once his lunch is packed in it, it WILL lose that purse-like shape and look more like a bag. We'll see.

Corie
12-14-2009, 09:46 AM

I agree with Melissa.

KHF
12-14-2009, 09:54 AM
My DH uses a small insulated cooler to take food to work. He packs a lot and needs the room. It's bigger than the cooler lunch totes and holds about as much as a plastic grocery bag. He also has an hour commute to work, so it keeps his food cold while he gets to work.

He probably would carry one of those bags, but he doesn't care about that stuff too much. He took the kids to Sam's yesterday and carried my black floral Babymel Amanda w/ DS's stuff in it.

MelissaTC
12-14-2009, 10:39 AM
My DH uses something like this when he takes food for the day-
http://www.igloocoolers.com/products/SoftSides/MaxCold/246/

codex57
12-14-2009, 02:22 PM
I wouldn't. I'll carry our diaper bag which has pink on it and if DW asked, I'd carry her purse. But that's cuz they're around and people know it's not mine personally.

That thing is super girly. Even the black one. That guy wearign one looks like a cross dresser.

JenaW
12-14-2009, 02:59 PM
I wouldn't. I'll carry our diaper bag which has pink on it and if DW asked, I'd carry her purse. But that's cuz they're around and people know it's not mine personally.

That thing is super girly. Even the black one. That guy wearign one looks like a cross dresser.

A cross-dresser?? Gee, thanks! Now you are making me really nervous. Oh well....I guess I may be adding another reusable bag to my own personal stash...

KpbS
12-14-2009, 03:19 PM
I bought a bag like this one http://www.eaglecreek.com/bags_luggage/carry-on_companions/Drifter-40391/ last year for DH who could stand to carry a briefcase sometimes (but doesn't) and is continually losing track of things ;) Not sure if it is the same model though (his can fit a laptop) and would be perfectly capable of transporting lunch if necessary, provided the container(s) weren't too wide.

ETA this one may work as well http://www.eaglecreek.com/bags_luggage/carry-on_companions/Wayside-40389/