PDA

View Full Version : RIP Nap Time....

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
12-13-2009, 03:23 PM
RIP (pun intended) Nap Time. You were a great friend, and you will be missed dearly. I will mourn your loss for years, and may shed a few tears. Thank you for the years of peace and quiet, I love you forever Nap Time. Your (EX) Best Friend DD's Mommy

It is a sad, sad day in my house....:cry:

g-mama
12-13-2009, 03:41 PM
I'm so sorry. :hug: Naptime is the best. My ds just turned 4 and I am worried it will be over soon. Although there is hope because my older ds napped til he was 5 3/4 years, at which time I had to wean him because he was about to start full-day kindergarten.

How old is she?

sunshine873
12-13-2009, 03:43 PM
What? Nap time won't last forever? DD is 10 1/2 months - I can't imagine nap time being gone at some point! :nodno:

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
12-13-2009, 03:45 PM
DD is 2.5 and a very "spirited" child, so when she is on, she is on 100%! Naptime was my downtime during the day, and my time to do homework and housework. Life after naptime....

egoldber
12-13-2009, 03:49 PM
FWIW, I hated naptime with Amy. She was hard to get down and then a bear to put to sleep at night. Giving up the nap was great for us. She started going to bed much earlier too, so I felt like DH and I had a lot "us" time at night.

Now that she is at daycare, she naps there during the week. But on the weekends...no nap for her!

KathyN115
12-13-2009, 03:55 PM
DD stopped napping around 2.5, and a year later, I still miss it!

goodnightmoon
12-13-2009, 04:15 PM
My 4 year old still naps because of a later bedtime. When she phases out of it, though, I'll be starting "Quiet Time" when she'll play in her room or the playroom quietly by herself. I have to have my break during the day or it would get very ugly around here. :)

sste
12-13-2009, 04:18 PM
My condolences on your loss. We all have wonderful memories of NapTime!

m448
12-13-2009, 04:32 PM
LOL - yeah nap time was a nice treat. However, perhaps she'll send my good friend as a replacement - quiet time. I live for quiet time (and lest it sound ideal it's not entirely quiet). The kids know that if momma doesn't get quiet time she's a tad grumpy.

brittone2
12-13-2009, 04:40 PM
FWIW, I hated naptime with Amy. She was hard to get down and then a bear to put to sleep at night. Giving up the nap was great for us. She started going to bed much earlier too, so I felt like DH and I had a lot "us" time at night.

:yeahthat: :yeahthat:

BTDT 2x w/ my kiddos. I encouraged DS to give up his nap when he was just over 3. DD just turned 3 and gave up napping in the last month. Both went to bed soooo late with the afternoon nap. DD's schedule is reset to a more reasonable bedtime now and it is really nice. I'm also enjoying a brief stint of us not being locked into a naptime and not having to plan our days around it. Of course, we have baby #3 on the way and before long will be working around 2 naps a day after a few weeks/months.

g-mama
12-13-2009, 06:40 PM
See, I never get how people manage to get the one who is giving up the nap to go to bed earlier than their older sibling(s). My youngest can NOT go to sleep when he knows his older brothers are awake. He fusses and complains beforehand and once tucked in, continually comes out of his room. My middle ds was the same way. It's just part of our ritual to read to all three of them together - at least since the 4yo turned about 2 and stopped going to bed at 7 and staying up til 9 like the older ones.

Not to mention that my dh is a major impediment to an earlier bedtime, which seems to be a benefit of giving up the nap. He gets home around 7 and my boys LOVE spending time with him and cherish every moment that he's here. He's very hands on and does much of the bathing/bedtime stuff so I also don't want to take that back on by myself. Neither he nor they would go for it anyway!

So I hang onto those naps dearly!!

tylersmama
12-13-2009, 06:49 PM
Ugh. I'm so sorry on the loss of your naptime. I feel your pain. DS gave up the nap about two months ago, and I'm still mourning. That was my guaranteed two-three hours of ME time. And the worst part is that he still really NEEDS the nap, he just won't take it. So, pretty much, after 4:00 is a nightmare every day.

The bonus is that I've started putting him to bed earlier. Like much earlier. Like 6:15 earlier. :bag He still sleeps through the night, so clearly he needs the sleep! And it's soooo nice to have him down for the night before prime-time tv shows even come on the air. :D

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
12-13-2009, 06:56 PM
Ugh. I'm so sorry on the loss of your naptime. I feel your pain. DS gave up the nap about two months ago, and I'm still mourning. That was my guaranteed two-three hours of ME time. And the worst part is that he still really NEEDS the nap, he just won't take it. So, pretty much, after 4:00 is a nightmare every day.

The bonus is that I've started putting him to bed earlier. Like much earlier. Like 6:15 earlier. :bag He still sleeps through the night, so clearly he needs the sleep! And it's soooo nice to have him down for the night before prime-time tv shows even come on the air. :D

I like your way of thinking....

Melaine
12-13-2009, 07:19 PM
I'm so sorry. I'm still really struggling to accept this loss as well. I hate to say it, but time really doesn't dull this grief! Hardly a day goes by that I don't miss it passionately!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
12-13-2009, 07:31 PM
DH just got her down for a late nap, she is such a crab apple without one... We'll see how it goes. Last month she still asked for nap time, this month :tongue5: to her nap...

hellokitty
12-13-2009, 07:32 PM
Oh, I so know the feeling. I was so sad when DS1 dropped his nap earlier this yr. Well, DS2 did not last long. A few wks ago, I finally accepted that he won't be napping anymore. It has been horrible. DS2 constantly gets into it with DS1. Worse yet, DS3 NEEDS to nap, but I still cannot get him into any sort of normalized nap schedule. So, basically NOBODY is napping in our household, except for the lucky dog, it sucks.

egoldber
12-13-2009, 07:36 PM
See, I never get how people manage to get the one who is giving up the nap to go to bed earlier than their older sibling(s).

My kids have never gone to bed at the same time and we've never linked their night rituals in any way. When we travel it's hard because then we DO have to put them to bed together and they rile each other up and it's a pain!!

It's hard if mom or dad gets home late. My DH is either home (works from home) or not available (out of town or client meetings downtown), so that isn't a factor for us.

g-mama
12-13-2009, 08:59 PM
My kids have never gone to bed at the same time and we've never linked their night rituals in any way. When we travel it's hard because then we DO have to put them to bed together and they rile each other up and it's a pain!!

Ahhh, I see. That makes sense. My 6 and 9 yo's share a room (by choice - started a couple years ago) so they definitely have to go to sleep at the same time. We typically watch TV and hang out from 8-9 so the youngest feels like he's missing out big time and is just NOT having it.