PDA

View Full Version : UPDATED:Am I nuts to drive 30 mins each way

jgenie
12-13-2009, 04:26 PM
with a 2 yr old to save $125.00? We just bought a bedding set at Bloomingdales - Merry Christmas DH & I - they carry the same set at the outlet mall and they are running a special of $125 off a $500 purchase. Thoughts??

UPDATE: I called the store as soon as they opened yesterday and was able to put everything I wanted on hold until this morning. We were there just after the store opened this morning and the between the price difference and additional discounts I saved $250.00. I'm sooo glad we went. DH thought it was nuts and that I wouldn't end up saving enough to make it worth the trip. $250 was certainly worth it to me!! Can't wait till he gets home so I can tell him. As a bonus or not, DS was not in the mood to shop so we did 1 return and then headed back. I didn't even spend the money I saved!!

LD92599
12-13-2009, 04:28 PM
For $125 sure!

bubbaray
12-13-2009, 04:28 PM
Yes, you are nuts. You are nearly 8m PG. Put your feet up and have a hot chocolate! :)

TamiRuns
12-13-2009, 04:38 PM
We're also 30 minutes from outlets and I've traveled with both boys to save less than that! However, if there's ice or snow, I would reconsider driving.....otherwise, I'd be excited to save that much $$!

elephantmeg
12-13-2009, 04:44 PM
I'd do it!

lchang25000
12-13-2009, 04:47 PM
I would definitely do it too.

sunshine873
12-13-2009, 04:49 PM
If it's going to make you happy (it would for me) then go for it! If it's going to tire you out and make you miserable - then just put your feet up, have some cocoa and enjoy the gift you've bought yourself!

srhs
12-13-2009, 04:50 PM
If I had the time, I'd do it. If I had a sitter, I'd do it and take my sweet time. :)

LexyLou
12-13-2009, 05:04 PM
Not for $125! 30 min each way isn't that bad. It takes us almost that long to get to preschool each morning. Go for it!

SnuggleBuggles
12-13-2009, 05:29 PM
I'd try to find the deal online but if not possible, I'd go. I'm not one to put life on hold when really pg. I like to get as much done as possible then. :) Now, the q is, do you really plan to spend $500 already or will you be buying extra to get up to that discount amount? It might not be that great of a sale then.

Beth

JenaW
12-13-2009, 05:33 PM
I totally would for $125...then I'd take the money I got back and spend it on something fun before the next baby comes - a pregnancy or couples massage, a romantic dinner/date night, or something along those lines. of course, my kids would likely fall asleep in the car or be fine anyway. If your kids don't mind the car ride, the weather is not bad, and you are not too tired, then go for it. If you are feeling like a whale, and just want to relax and put your feet up, then do THAT. At 8 mos preg, I 'd need big motivation to so aything extra.

KrisM
12-13-2009, 05:38 PM
Considering we're 25 minutes from most shopping, 30 minutes is nothing! I'd do it.

MoJo
12-13-2009, 05:40 PM
Now, the q is, do you really plan to spend $500 already or will you be buying extra to get up to that discount amount? It might not be that great of a sale then

IF you're really saving that much, I'd go if you feel like it. I personally wouldn't hesitate to put my toddler in the car and go if the roads are OK, and I think I'll be saying the same at 8 months pregnant.

3blackcats
12-13-2009, 05:45 PM
Depends where you live. In Northern VA, I would pay extra to avoid the idiots on the roads and then when I got to the outlets. :p

Here's a question - is it guaranteed to be there? What happens if you go there and you couldn't get it?

Corie
12-13-2009, 05:57 PM
I don't think driving 30 min. with a 2 yr. old is a big deal.

I guess that I don't see what the issue is.

I would definitely do it.

ett
12-13-2009, 05:58 PM
Yes, I'd definitely drive 30 minutes to save $125. It takes me 20 minutes to get to my nearest Target and I do that basically every week.

egoldber
12-13-2009, 06:26 PM
It depends.

How much will it cost you in gas to get there? I stopped driving to the outlets to save a few $$ on SR shoes when I realized how much I was spending in gas to "save" money at the outlets.

Are they guaranteed to have it? If not you wasted time and money (gas) to get there.

Is your 2 year old a good shopper? No way do I take Amy to outlet malls unless I have no other choice.

boltfam
12-13-2009, 06:33 PM
I'm 20 min. from any shopping beside the grocery store, so I wouldn't think twice, especially for that kind of $, as long as the roads are okay. If it's not guaranteed to be there, then I don't know. I'd probably try it anyway...sometimes my 2 yr old and I have to get out of the house for both of our sanity!

Ceepa
12-13-2009, 06:38 PM
I wouldn't think twice. DC would be in my car and I'd be burning a path toward that $125 right at this moment!

bubbaray
12-13-2009, 07:13 PM

OP is nearly 8m PG and its winter. Shopping with a 2yo *is* a big deal if you are on lifting restrictions, which is pretty common if your first baby was a c/s.

My DD#2 is a January baby and going anywhere that winter before she was born was a huge ordeal. I was huge, tired, couldn't lift DD#1 if she was upset, etc.. Saving $125 in that particular circumstance would not have been worth it for me. JMHO

hellokitty
12-13-2009, 07:34 PM
For that amt of savings, yes I think it is worth it. Plus, bringing one kid (I know you are pg too) is a heck of a lot easier than dragging 3 kids...

Melaine
12-13-2009, 07:53 PM
Well, my first thought was "Heck yeah", but then reading a couple other posts I'd have to amend it to, "Heck yeah, unless your area is experiencing winter weather conditions"! Where I am we rarely see it, but I avoid driving in it at all costs.

JTsMom
12-13-2009, 08:10 PM
I'd already be on my way! $125 would go a long way towards some new stuff for your spiffy new bedroom.

g-mama
12-13-2009, 08:52 PM
For $125? Totally worth it! I was active til the day before I gave birth. I can't stay in the house - the kids drive me more crazy when they're bored so I was looking for things to do when I had just one child. Consider it an adventure. Guess it depends what you're used to driving-wise, too. I drive to a mall that's 30 minutes away quite often b/c dh works right there and we go and meet him for lunch and check out Nordstrom, etc. while we're there.

mamicka
12-13-2009, 09:10 PM
I don't think driving 30 min. with a 2 yr. old is a big deal.

I would definitely do it.

:yeahthat:

Not a big deal to me, even with winter conditions.

WatchingThemGrow
12-13-2009, 09:21 PM
I would first call and ask for a price match :) Then, you can decide how you're feeling and if they outing makes sense considering all the other factors. You need to factor in the time/hassle to return the old one with the 2yo in tow, though. I found carrying stuff while pg and with a stroller a little challenging.

amldaley
12-14-2009, 12:05 AM
We have to drive 30 minutes to get to any store besides CVS, Dollar General or Food Lion, so I don't think it is a big deal at all! I would go. That's an hour of time and maybe 3 or 4 bucks gas to save a chunk of change.

khalloc
12-14-2009, 11:20 AM
I wouldn't think anything of driving 30 minutes each way someplace. Thats a short drive.

Corie
12-14-2009, 12:33 PM
OP is nearly 8m PG and its winter. Shopping with a 2yo *is* a big deal if you are on lifting restrictions, which is pretty common if your first baby was a c/s.

Oh, okay, gotcha!

I'd still do it! I had 2 c-sections. And I was hosting a Pampered Chef/jewelry
party for over 30 people at 37 weeks pregnant. So, me being me, I'd still
do it. Especially to save $125.

I could bitch about it later. :)

g-mama
12-14-2009, 12:45 PM
Oh, okay, gotcha!

I'd still do it! I had 2 c-sections. And I was hosting a Pampered Chef/jewelry
party for over 30 people at 37 weeks pregnant. So, me being me, I'd still
do it. Especially to save $125.

I could bitch about it later. :)

:yeahthat: Okay, maybe not the Pampered Chef party, but I hosted Thanksgiving for 30 at 38 weeks pregnant with my 3rd c-section. And, yes, I'm sure I did bitch about it later, knowing me!

maestramommy
12-14-2009, 02:42 PM
For $125 I would! Even if I had to drag all 3 kids and they were screaming all the way!

jenandahalf
12-14-2009, 03:05 PM
I drive 50 miles each way to work and back which can take up to 2 hours each way on a bad day. So a 30 minute drive is nothing to me. I actually carried a Poang chair home on the train from IKEA the day before I gave birth at 41.5 weeks so I guess my judgement may be sketchy!

Bloomingdales is usually open until late, 8 or 9pm. Can you not have your husband pick it up for you after work? Have you called to check they even have it?

DebbieJ
12-14-2009, 03:24 PM
I'd totally do it. I drove 30 mins each way with my 5 yo while 8m pregnant to get a deal on a car seat this past summer.

frgsnlzrds
12-14-2009, 03:29 PM
Are you crazy? I drive 50 minutes each way (twice) just to get out of the house some days. I would love to have saving all that money as an excuse!

jenandahalf
12-14-2009, 04:54 PM
Just one thought - is the $125 a full-on discount or is it one of those deals where you get a $125 gift card? I'm asking because they usually put a fairly strict time limit on the gift card's use, be sure there is something else you want to spend $125 on and fast!

jgenie
12-15-2009, 02:13 PM
UPDATE: I called the store as soon as they opened yesterday and was able to put everything I wanted on hold until this morning. We were there just after the store opened this morning and the between the price difference and additional discounts I saved $250.00. I'm sooo glad we went. DH thought it was nuts and that I wouldn't end up saving enough to make it worth the trip. $250 was certainly worth it to me!! Can't wait till he gets home so I can tell him. As a bonus or not, DS was not in the mood to shop so we did 1 return and then headed back. I didn't even spend the money I saved!!

WatchingThemGrow
12-15-2009, 04:27 PM
Wow, that's fun to hear! Good for you! Now go put your feet up and don't blow all your savings on Amazon, lol.