PDA

View Full Version : My 7 month is still to small for her Marathon!

BayAreaMom
12-13-2009, 04:35 PM
So DD2 is 7 1/2 months, about 18.5 lbs- height unknown. I dug the Marathons out of storage because I was hoping to move her into them soon, even though she is still about 2" below the top of her snugride (not sure what model, it's c. 2006). DD1 moved into the Marathon around 5-6 months, but DD2 is still TOO small in the torso for the Marathons. I'm shocked. There is about 1/2" (like a fingertip) between the top of her shoulder and the bottom slot of the harness. But if I move her rear all the back in the seat (so she is not slouched), she is about even with the slot. So what exactly does "at or near" the slot mean exactly? Can she be slightly below it, or dead on with it?

I thought I would just post this because I know people often want to skip the infant seat and go straight to the Marathon/similar Britax, but here is evidence that's not always going to work!

Snow mom
12-13-2009, 06:30 PM
Are you feeling through the cover for where the slots in the shell are? I know my cover is way off. I agree that the MA doesn't seem like it would fit tiny babies well. DD is still much too small for the second slots at 1 year. She started ridind in her MA between 5-6 mos. I'd guess your DD is actually big enough because my DD is a bit under 18.5 lbs now.

Joolsplus2
12-13-2009, 07:12 PM
I sort of adhere to 'use the bottom slots till the shoulders are even with the next slots', it's a more reasonable rule for newborns and small babies who are NOT going to ramp up and out of the seat: The lap straps hold them down and in the seat, and their heads are a foot from the top of the back. If it were me, I'd have no problem putting my own kiddo in there a little below the bottom slots :)

maestramommy
12-13-2009, 10:15 PM
Yeah, I remember when I put Dora into a MA at the BRU when she was 9 months old. I totally busted out laughing. She reminded me of Lily Tomlin in those huge chairs on Sesame Street! And FWIW, her shoulders barely were level with the bottom slot. And this was with her sitting UP.

OTOH, Laurel has been "okay" in the RA since about 4 months. But it's not great. Even though her shoulders are the right height, the leg straps are rather forward. I tried it on her when she was a nb and they went right over her knees. Now she was well above the 5 lb minimum, but I'm pretty sure that's not how the harness is supposed to fit!

BayAreaMom
12-13-2009, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the extra info. I am still pretty shocked she wasn't above the first slot (of the cover- great tip to check those are aligned wth the shell). I am washing the MA covers so I'll try her fit in it again next weekend.